Phuhzzzie Wuhzzzie the Pumpkin Kingmember
141 posts

Posted:
I hear people say that firetwirlers use a special fuel that gives off a cold flame that doesn't burn. Where can I get some? Is it safe to breathe with? Help.

A wise man once said to me, Hey! You! Get out of my wardrobe! and in a way, I guess he was right.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
What! You found out about this already! Normally this is a secret only imparted to fire spinners after the secret initation ritual (which involves squeaky toys, nutella, self flagellation and mangoes).

It's called 'Cold Fire' and comes from Imagination Fuels, headquarters in NeverNever Land

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Phuhzzie mate, its not real fire

Apparently, cold fire is one of those urban myths Do a search.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
What a gyp! They had nutella at your initiation, Dom? We just had lousy store-brand peanut butter at mine.

P-W, fire is hot. There's no such thing as cold flame. Firedancing is dangerous. Firebreathing is very dangerous. No shortcuts. Some fuels burn cooler than others, but even these comparatively cool fuels will burn you.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Yep, I paid extra for the gold initiation. If you're going to do something, do it right! Although my budget didn't stretch to the platinum initiation and that's real classy!

Here's the science: Fire is combination of a fuel and oxygen and involves ripping apart and formation of molecluar bonds which releases heat and light. So there's no way to get cold fire. As Adam says some burn hotter than others and the fuels have different properties best suited to different uses, but it's all hot stuff.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
The platinum initiation allegedly includes nutella and marmite, so you can have whichever you prefer and offer the other up as sacrifice to stop the firetoys hitting you so much

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
It is possible to get cold fire...you make a normal fire, then put it in the freezer!

Seriously phuzzie, the cold fire thing may stem from the public's perception of magicians always using tricks and gimmicks, and is in the same area as those who think devil sticks have magnets in them...

Despite us laughing at them, it's simply their way of fitting something that doesn't really suit there current concept of the world, into that world. A few more sightings of firedancers and they'll come around.

Interesting to note, if I'm ever asked "is that REAL fire" , I just do a burnoff, and they accept it straight away.

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Phuhzzzie Wuhzzzie the Pumpkin Kingmember
141 posts

Posted:
OK OK a couple of things:

1.Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!

2. I thought that this would happen, I posted this as a toungue in cheek parody of an actual post.

3. Not everthing on the net is true.

4. Sorry for wasting bandwidth.

A wise man once said to me, Hey! You! Get out of my wardrobe! and in a way, I guess he was right.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
But PW, we weren't kidding about the initiation.

Malcolm doeesn't do them, either. You have to send a check...no...cash to me. I'll process your order...promptly.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
lol, just read this thread and it reminded me of a little bit of information which I learnt at the weekend and really ought to share - Fire is Hot and Wraps really dont go down very well when you have badly sunburnt arms

Mark P

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Mark P:
Wraps really dont go down very well when you have badly sunburnt arms

Mark P

Amen to that!!! See if you can make out the white band on my arm where my watch had been! Ouch! That was an angry sunburn!

Now, as for flame that isn't (very hot), I would have to cast my vote for denatured alcohol mixed with boric acid (see green flames). Not nearly as hot as anything else. In fact, it burns so cool that I can grab my wicks (That have wire wrapped around them) with my bare hands immediately after I have finished a burn, and they aren't even warm. I use towel wicks, and I have a set that I use just for green. They have lasted over 20 burns so far with no visible signs of wear. Not exactly cold, but pretty close. The flame will, however, still singe some hair.

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

FlameDamemember
30 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Charles (INFERNO):
It is possible to get cold fire...you make a normal fire, then put it in the freezer!

Interesting to note, if I'm ever asked "is that REAL fire" , I just do a burnoff, and they accept it straight away.

Sorry for being slow but what is a burnoff?

Thanks.

I believe in freedom, love, truth, and beauty.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Pleased to help...A burnoff is a staff move, which makes two big fireballs come off the wicks.

Here's the only decent photo I've had taken of me doing one.

Burnoff Pic

for further instruction have a look at this thread...
Naming Staff Moves III

Hope that helps...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?