Page:
Fire Princessmember
130 posts

Posted:
OK, I'll start a little competition of my own. There is a pot of jam in it for the lucky winner.There are 4 well known sports, each with an odd exclusion rule:In one, you can't wear all whiteIn another, you can't be baldIn a third, you can't be left handedIn a fourth, you can't have a beard.What are the four sports?

saffiremember
27 posts

Posted:
Ping Pong!!! grin

DONT PANIC
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

Wormymember
22 posts

Posted:
From Memory Bandminton TableTeniis and Tennis you are not allowed to wear all white. You must have a stryping or colour of some sort in the top, since you do not carry a number.

Wormymember
22 posts

Posted:
Guess that makes my answersBadmintonSumoPoloOlympic Boxingi think...

foobaaspinning for ages
125 posts

Posted:
*sigh* I want jam!!!! I even tried these questions on another forum...but they were all to thick to answer them...or to even try winkIs table tennis the right answer to the all white question fp??Was boxing the right answer to the beard question?? I don't remember seeing the affirmative answer from fp??[This message has been edited by foobaa (edited 09 October 2001).]

fe fi foo fun

Fire Princessmember
130 posts

Posted:
Yes, table tennis is the right answer - because otherwise you wouldn't be able to see the ball. I would imagine that you're not allowed in badminton either, but as the shuttlecock is not flying at body height, I don't know if the rule would be relevant.Just one more...the no beards rule.This one isn't for a practical reason, it's a historical one. I guess you either know it or you don't. Some of the people I've told this to have got this one straight away.Good luck!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Olympic Boxing is right. But you're clearly looking for something else. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Wrestling?

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Fire Princessmember
130 posts

Posted:
Yeah I am. Olympic boxing is a new one on me. Aren't you even allowed leetle beards? Not even a goatee?For the one I'm thinking of, you're not allowed anything of the sort. Or not traditionally, anyway...

sandmanmember
65 posts

Posted:
I know several women who claim that beards aren't allowed in snogging (I disagree!)

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
It seems that most Boxing and Wrestling leagues ban beards and moustaches... I gotta see an Aussie rules football game live one of these days. Thanks for the tip APB. Gee, I'm learning all sorts of stuff...Cassandra, I would start calling you "my little raspberry" but you're already betrothed to one of those west coast boys. I don't do love triangles anymore, they're too much work!

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Auspoiboymember
219 posts

Posted:
Okay beards this timecan both male and females play this sport (i have a freind who's girlfreind probably needs a shave but thats not very nice)is the reason you can't partake due to religoius reasons, i know some religions you have to have a beard.and again is this a one on one or team sport.okay my last question was fairly easywhat about this oneAfter a goal has been scored, what makes Australian football unique (to my knowledge anyway....which isn't all that exstensive).

Good on usGood on us all

Auspoiboymember
219 posts

Posted:
Cass if you ever come to australia i'll get my grandma to make some of her finest raspberry jam for ya. It is without doubt the best raspberry jam i have ever had, though its probably not worth it just for the cost of an airfare to Ausland.

Good on usGood on us all

Auspoiboymember
219 posts

Posted:
And for my last post of the day (i seem to be very out of sinc with the rest of your northerners.NYC I recomend without doubt the best game to watch (talking Aussie rules football) is the anzac day match between Essendon and Collingwood, its almost bigger than the grand final (our super bowl of sorts).Though i do have to say, even though i know nothing about it, i would like to see an nfl game....but they go for about four hours (with all the players deciding what to do and all) so i might give that a miss.Cheers

Good on usGood on us all

Wormymember
22 posts

Posted:
'After a goal has been scored, what makes Australian football unique 'the ref gives some really dicky hand signal before the players run and bum grope each other. :P

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
NYC, Myst (if that's the one you meant wink ) is the father of my child (a 6' beautiful blue glowstick) but we no longer belong together. He has dumped me to get back to his lady : Flash...See?You can call me your little raspberry smileAs they say ... this is really getting too sweet, give me some insulin !!!!shine onCassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Auspoiboymember
219 posts

Posted:
Of course wormy this coming from a new zealander (no disrespect to NZ) where the national sport involves men trying to get their heads as close to other mens arses as possible. smileCheers

Good on usGood on us all

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Hey APB, thanks for the tip. NFL games aren't THAT long (they usually take a while for half time. I'm a HUGE fan of the game but it is VERY different than any other game. I can see how it would seem tough to watch but I have hooked many a football virgin. The beauty of NFL style football is being able to see the chess game being played. I can't think of a sport in which active gametime coaching and playcalling plays a bigger part. This heightens the anticipation of each "down".I guarantee that if you sat down with me for an NFL game you'd be hooked. winkI do also like game with flow like soccer, rugby, and aussie football. But nothin' gets my heart pumping like a good "third down and five yards to go"... I could go into the cultural differences and reasons for each sport's sucess but I think I've violated rule 1 for long enough... smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Fire Princessmember
130 posts

Posted:
Sandman - Of course beards aren't allowed in snogging! Yuk! Have YOU ever snogged anyone with a beard?? Anyway, I'm not sure I would call snogging a sport...NYC - OK, apart from boxing and wrestling. I guess it's not alone there. I'm thinking of a non-contact sport, though.APB - Yes, both males and females may play (but usually not together). It is a male dominated sport, though.- No, it's not for religious reasons.- Er, neither one-on-one nor a team sport. Every man for himself (and woman for herself, if we are being PC)Go Magpies! Believe it or not, Collingwood are my favourite team. I went to see them at the MCG a couple of years ago. I've never seen the Anzac day match though... maybe one day.Keep trying, you are so close!Princess

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Is the beard issue a practicality issue? Or tradition? Or does it have to do with it's proximity to the mouth (as in yodelling.)

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Auspoiboymember
219 posts

Posted:
Alright so its every "person" for 'themselves'.just to be pcBut its not a one on one contest. So therefore it must be something like atheletics, running or swimming, an individual event. Or something like the hammer throw or javelin or something. HMMMM....very interesting watson very interesting indeed.So i guess i have to ask some more questions which you can answer so that everyone else gets a chance at getting the raspberry jam before i do.....damn this time zone, damn it to a place where there is no fire twirling (well maybe i won't be that harsh.Q1. Is this sport played in the olympicsQ.2 How many competitors are usually in an event.Q.3 What is the wing speed velocity of a sparrowQ.4 Assuming that Australia is really on the top of the world, does that mean the sun actually rises in the west?????Cheers

Good on usGood on us all

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Golf?

Wormymember
22 posts

Posted:
Funny that you guys are world champions at it ay Auspoiboy smileBTW You didnt see the basketball did you?? I cant remember who won.

JeStErSILVER Member
enthusiast
214 posts

Posted:
Can't remember my ass!Tall Blacks *in a cynical voice*still kicked your ass at rugby though, and it was on your home turf! :P winkTable tennis (ping - pong)SumoPolosculling black lose leaf tea! because it could be considered cheating since u have an automatic strainer! :P[This message has been edited by JeStEr (edited 11 October 2001).][This message has been edited by JeStEr (edited 11 October 2001).]

Trying to play the Akashic records,
but my turntables not compatible.

Fire Princessmember
130 posts

Posted:
NYC - It's for a traditional reason. It is absolutely nothing to do with the mouth.APB - 1) No, but a similar sort of sport is.2) Lots. As many as you want. I would say normally around 20, but it can be more or less.3) Oi, I'm supposed to be the quizmaster around here! wink4) No. The sun doesn't actually rise anyway, we just perceive it as rising...Ade - No, not golf.Jester - No, not sculling tea (whatever that is).If you don't get it today, I'm going to tell you tomorrow and eat all the jam myself! grin

bibilixmember
3 posts

Posted:
is it 'takoshis castle'? remember that old japanese game show?! don't quite remember, but i think it was some everybody-against- everyone-else-AND-the-nasty-general kind of fight... and well, most japanese people do not have that much facial hair.is ist actually a real sport? do people still play it?i have not seen a hairy ballet-dancer, by the way.can't wait for tomorrow... bib

Auspoiboymember
219 posts

Posted:
Well im starting to think that im not going to get this one but we will continue down the track of despair that is a facial hair dominated topic. confusedIs it something like triathlon perhaps (am i in the ball park)Not in the olympics but soemthing similar is that 'really' narrows the field down then.and there are twenty people in the event (or there abouts)hmm okay question time again.Q.1 is it a summer or winter sport (i have skiing stuck in my head for some reason).Q.2 is this a timed event (i.e. are you supposed to do it faster than everyone else). Or is it in fact a timed event (i.e. it goes for a set period of time). HMMMMand to answer Q.3 from the last post "What is the wing speed velocity of a sparrow."the answer is of course, that it depends on whether it is an english swallow or an african swallow.....and whether it is wheighed down by a coconut. grin

Good on usGood on us all

Fire Princessmember
130 posts

Posted:
Hey guys,Bibilix - yeah, it's a real sport, played today, and no, it's not ballet.APB - It is nothing like triathlon. Sorry about the olympics bit, but I couldn't say how the sport is similar without giving it away. In response to your questions:1) It is an all seasons sport (although the weather can have a big effect)2) You are supposed to do it faster than everyone else3) If you'd said SWALLOW rather than SPARROW, maybe I would have had a chance! Everyone knows the speed of an unladen swallow... winkTime is ticking away...Princess

Auspoiboymember
219 posts

Posted:
My dear i am terribly sorry, i was sure that i had put swallow, ah well it is to no effect, as i never wanted to be someone who calculates the wing speed velocity of an unladen swallow (be it african or english) i always wanted to be....a lumber jack leaping from tree to tree with my best girl by my side and we would sing sing sing......Hmmm okay then, it can be played all year and you do it faster than other people.(you may have noticed i like to recite your answers before i do my new questions, this way it looks like i am thinking about an answer).Alright then,Is it a running event.is it a well known sportcould a fat australian fire twirler like me compete easily.and how do you kow she's a witchcheers

Good on usGood on us all

Fire Princessmember
130 posts

Posted:
It is a running event, but YOU are not actually running...It is a very well known sport. I doubt you will have played it yourself, but you will definitely have seen it on TVIf you are really fat, then it would put you at a disadvantage...but I don't think being a fire twirler would impede you winkIs that enough blatant clues for you?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Track and field related?

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Page: