Forums > Social Chat > UK Poi & Fire people - where are you???

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
well although i can see lots of people's emails in the 'meet others' directory a lot of them are obviously no longer visiting the page and some of them not even into Poi anymore - so i thought i'd start this topic so that people in the UK can perhaps reply saying who they are, where they are based and what they actually do so that we can get a bit more organised and hopefully i'll find someone near Cambridge to meet up with, since apart from the videos here i've never ever seen anyone else swing and i'll be really happy to meet people as i've learned to swing by myself and i have this phobia i might be doing it all wrong smile (and i am running out of new tricks - heeelp) So if you are based in the UK or travelling to the UK hit that reply button so that we can find out who's out there and who's not - let's play boyz 'n' girlz winkhappy swinging,Simos

jonathanenthusiast
210 posts

Posted:
Jonathan based in Guildford. poi for last 4. teaching, learning, havin' fun, getting with people who do fire...nul_string@hotmail.com

ChloeBRONZE Member
54 posts

Posted:
Hey Simos, i'm in Kent (but you already know that anyway smile. And ive been swirling (glowsticks, beaming poi and fire) for bout 7 months (not long really). I'm quite happy coz i've just found a local circus school where i can go and practice.. the weather isn't very poi friendly at the moment is it?!?Chloe

Chloe.
-I'm dancing through the fire just to catch a flame-
Paul Weller

ALIBABAmember
52 posts

Posted:
WAASSSSUUUUUPPPi guess i missed this post the other day when i posted "any uk firey friends" i am a felllow uk poier and anything to do with fire really. i do some fire juggling and some fire breathing and kinda started learning staff but am pretty shit. anyway i am a student but am trying to turn my fire antics into a bit of cash with my firey freind sammie who seems to post about a hundred messages on this board a week so i expect she'll write someting here as well. we have called ourselves (after much deliberation) 4th element. as well as myself and sam there are about another 3/4 poiers who do it ocasionally, and we know a fair few jugglers too. i also know various others who twirl occasionallyi think there is the people out there as i get occasional emails from people about fire stuff. i do think that someone should organise a fire convention though. we need a meeting or something to see what sort of a fire scene there is. "great minds think alike and fools seldom differ"aliiiiiiiijust had a thought. i'm going to post something on this forum regularly so that it stays at the top of the page and people notice it and feel obliged to post stuff. oh and anyone anywhere near the lake district come and play. poi in the snow in january[This message has been edited by ALIBABA (edited 19 December 2000).]

ALIBABACHICKENMANICANSEEYOURUNDERWEAR

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
Hi all, it's nice to see that there's 5 (together with sammie who didn't even bother replying haha grin )of us that swing in the UK...with the grand total of 5 i think that a fire convention would be a success Ali winkjoking aside i think it's a great idea, problem with me is that i don't have enough time during uni terms (grrr...) but if someone organises it'll be great - i bet there quite a few fire people in the UK...maybe some time during May-June or the summer when the weather is better although i find it hard to believe that we won't have at least half the UK fire brigade running behind us and watching every move smilehappy swinging,Simos

robmember
4 posts

Posted:
hi 2 allhope ur fine and groovey!good 2 c some uk based fire folk postinim based in Bistol,and have been doing poi 4 a year now.Im just gettin in2 pro performing Doin Return 2 the Source at Brixton Academy(as part of the Gloworm collective) on New Years so hope 2 c people there.Every1 out there should all try 2 get out on the 25th as the sun sets to do Fire simultaneouslly and try 2 take back the Pagan Festival>might not achieve much, but itll b good fun ,and u might even c some1 in the distance doin the same who u can jump about and wave at(but not whilst ur fired up or burning may occur!!)anyhow stay in touch uk fire people; robudda@yahoo.com------------------Love,Peace,and Happiness

Love,Peace,and Happiness

sammiemember
56 posts

Posted:
HOw do!Guess its about time I defended myself smile - I do some fire stuff like poi and staff with a mad ol' scottish firebreathing guy called Al and some other buds from our Uni in Ambleside.We're performing under 'The 4th Element' at the moment and (hopefully) are gonna perform in Moscow, Chicago.... in some years time tongueAT the mo, we're doing minigigs in and around the Lakes, so if you fancy meeting up, email either me or Al. winkPS. Last time I looked, our fire convention list was up to 7, but I reckon its a fine idea!PPS. Young Rob is a brave lad going to Brixton, isn't he?! smile

ALIBABAmember
52 posts

Posted:
hmmm. does anyone have spare time in which to organise an event?does anyone else take 30mins trying to read that mail from rob?does me post ing this mean that this topic goes to the top of the board again?ali

Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
It does indeed Alibaba. It's called a *bump*You type *bump* or whatever and the thread is bumped to the top of the page smile

ALIBABAmember
52 posts

Posted:
BUMP

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I posted up my details back in October and ended up with a reply from someone 'looking for love and who knew a few good tricks' that were unfortunately not related to poi!(Malcolm do you know how he might have got this site confused?!) Hence I haven't bothered to do so again until now...Anyway I've been learning properly for 3 months and have the pleasure of practicing down at the beach in Bournemouth. I could do with a few tips as I've been learning without fire so far but would like to try soon and it would be great to meet some more firey people.....and I guess that makes 8 of us now....

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Well i'm pretty relieved that there are so few poi, staff and juggling folks around the UK because after getting into it myself i immediatly searched out people with the same interest....and soon found that that was the ONLY interest in common. I have found the majority of people I have met to be a hoplessly boring bunch of show offs. Thats my perspective on the matter... no doubt I'll be slaughtered online for voicing it.P.S. Hey guys! Here's a tip... If you really want to show off well then only display the tricks that you have gotten SOLID....doing otherwise just makes you look like a tit and belittles your performance. OK?

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
hey juggleloser, nobody is doing any slaughtering in here grin and you are certainly entitled your opinion, which might as well be fair judging by the sound of the experience you've had so far with other jugglers/swingers/twirlers... i'd like to add my opinion as well having only met other swingers through this web-site and a few people that got interested in poi (including a girl that i teach)...i can tell you that what i like more about Poi so far is probably not only swinging itself (don't get me wrong i love it) and certainly not showing-off (although i guess everyone likes attention when performing i guess) but there is something about the people that swing that i like a lot; call it positive energy, call it whatever you like but my experiences from the people on this site have been great so far...everyone is really helpful and even when disagreeing we do so in good spirit; with some people we even email each other and some have helped me with non-poi related problems that i had...well noone is perfect but still i wish i could meet with some people in person; i'll certainly try to at some point - maybe we all have really different lives and interests apart from Poi but as long as i feel i am amongst people that respect the things that i value highly and who i am, as well as have good intentions then i am happy!!! well i am glad i found this site in any case smile - i hope things work out for you mate,love, peace and happy swinging wink ,Simos

Timmymember
45 posts

Posted:
Hey there campers! If I say that I've been poi'ing for the last year or so, can I become the 8th UK swinger? My girlfriend pois to, so can she be No. 10? smile Cool, 10 of us, a convention is in order. Where and when?Happy swinging people,Tim. /|\

ChloeBRONZE Member
54 posts

Posted:
Well Glastonbury isn't on this year sadly (i think, i think its sad, not i think that its not on, i know that). Not sure if i was going anyway, 95 quid for a ticket is a bit on the expensive side, spose i couldv'e worked again, but, alas, no more! smile Anyway, we should try and meet up over the summer coz that would be really good, has anyone heard of 'The Big Green Gathering'?? It is a small scale, environmental type festival, for a week in the summer, held in the most amazing countryside in middle England. I think they have a website, i'll try and post the adress here. No big name bands, (more world music) but a chilled fest (quite family orientated) for a week. (i think tickets are about 40 quid)I think i'm gonna go, if it doesnt clash with any exams, but it's something to think about. Anyone else have any ideas? grinhave fun and burn bright.Chloe.

Chloe.
Paul Weller

gάrbǿ²addict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
Yo Yo was up people. garbo (jaime) here. I is a swinger and I live in UK. Don't live near cambridge but maybe seeing as everyone lives down south and everyone is bitching about people replying to messages a meeting in London is poss. The place I have in mind is the Drome nightclub. very poi friendly and a great night out. Yes / No. antyone up for it will be down on sat 20th january so MAIL ME.peace outgarbo tongue

be excellent to each other: safe:

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
hey garbo, i was thinking about the Drome too, and London does seem more convinient for most of us i think - i have never been there and a possible problem is that people won't be able to use fire in there i guess...well we can leave it until later on and see what everyone thinks - maybe we can try the Drome if everyone is up for it and that goes well we can arrange something else (outdoors this time) similar to what Chloe suggested (maybe a bit cheaper though as i guess 40 quid + travelling expenses will put a lot of people off from coming and i think it's gonna be great if have a lot of people turning up)...well we'll see how it goes, but in any case i am really glad that most of us like the idea of meeting up at some point!happy swinging,Simos

Matt Hippymember
7 posts

Posted:
Hey there Simos,My names Matty and Im based in derby and in Kent. Been dancin for a fair while and fire breathing for a bit and now I do both at the same time!!! Im still trying staff but I dont really get it!!! I'm pretty easy about travelling anywhere so getting places aint a problem. Keep in touch cos i'm always up 4 a spin!!! Peace and Love,Mattymatt@hippy.co.uk

Dottmember
29 posts

Posted:
wahey,dott here, based in oxford. i haven't posted before cos i always forget this is here!anyway, i've been juggling for ever (nearly), club swinging for about 6 years, and poi and staff swinging for almost 2 years now. i do loads of fire performance (although i don't do fire poi, just beaming poi) and have fire sessions with loads of jugglers.er, that's it. bye!dott.

ALIBABAmember
52 posts

Posted:
eeerrrrmmmmmmmmm.GARBO? what do you mean everyone lives down south? i am between the lake district (which seems to be counted as north if your english) and glasgow or perth. so where exactly are you from?anyway why has a new topic been formed about this british fiery people meeting up some time? i thought thats what this one was about.emm i might be away in the summer as the uk gets a biit too much for me if i spend too much time here.anyway i believe i have just "bumped" this topic to the top again so come on uk fieries and notice it and keep putting your names here.------------------ALIBABACHICKENMANICANSEEYOURUNDERWEAR

gάrbǿ²addict
521 posts

Posted:
OK ALIBABA are you happy now that the topic "you'll have to come in and see" has gone?

diskomember
21 posts

Posted:
I can be found in darkest South Yorkshire, surrounded by beautiful dales and mountains, with the odd bit of smog! I keep meaning to get to the Drome, but hey, you know how it is. I love the idea of getting together in the summer, but I don't like the idea of paying 40squid. Overall London sounds like a good option though. I remember trippin in Regents park a few years ago (pre-poi) on a lovely hot summers morn', after Samsara at the Fridge. It would have been great to have twirled then. O Well, roll on summer. It would be nice to put faces to e-names, better still we could meet up and guess who is who? Sum one in London name a time and a place soon. Lets do it!

*burn-baby-burn-disko-inferno*

gάrbǿ²addict
521 posts

Posted:
Yo yo disko. se this guy has the right idea big gathering in london in summer followed by a night @ THE DROME. Green gathering also sounds very good.come on people what say you. If anyone is in London on sat 20th january then I will be @ Dromezone @ THE DROME if nyone fancies it.peace outgarbo tongue

Dimitrimember
26 posts

Posted:
If your in London we do workshops and provide space to practice down at the Drome. Its every Thurday(until the 6th of Feb...then it becomes every Tueday instead). The address is :The Drome, Stainer St, London Bridge. We've got a sound system, a tea bar and loads of lovely people. Cost is £2.50. Hopefully see you there.....

gάrbǿ²addict
521 posts

Posted:
Dimitri. Isn't that the just jugglers thing. If so I used to go every week and will satrt again in the summer. I wrk at the drome sometimes. Its absolutly wicked.peace out garbo tongue[This message has been edited by garbo (edited 14 January 2001).]

Kamamember
19 posts

Posted:
Hiya all,I live in London and have been swinging poi 4 about 7 months. Just started with fire about a month ago.I love the idea Chloe has of meeting up at a festival!I think im no.12!!

Timmymember
45 posts

Posted:
I say that the big green gathering sounds cool (I heard that it might be 5 days this year?!) If not, how about we all go to Glastonbury anyway, and poi all night on the Tor, with drums n' didj's?Just an idea,Tim /|\

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
sounds like a great idea Tim! although i doubt i'll be here in the summer, swinging in stone circles (isn't that what Glastonbury is like?) sounds amazing!!! why is the Glastonbury not on this year anyway????happy swinging,Simos

Timmymember
45 posts

Posted:
Hey Simos, LOOK!!!! smile You've done 100 posts! You talk alot.... grinTim /|\

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
Yeah but nothing exciting happenned Tim frownSimos

ChloeBRONZE Member
54 posts

Posted:
Glastonbury IS cancelled this year sadly, cos Michael Eavis (the bloke who owns the land and organiser) is worried about the amount of people that are getting in without a ticket (ie, over the fence) he has a point, there were way too many people last year, thousands more than there should have been, it just makes it too crowded, but most people can't afford tickets, at 90 squid each they are a bit on the expensive side. Anyone know the dates for the BigGreenGathering? They have a website but it hasn't been updated from last year and doesnt appear to be working, when i have more info i will post it to interested people... oooh, there is a light at the end of the tunnel, i do have something to look forward to other than exams and lots of essays! Roll on summer, roll on hot weather.. roll on, roll up! grinI'm going down tysen st at the end of the month if anyone else is, email me. I would prefer to go to the drome but its a mates, mates birthday and he made the choice.. i agree with garbo, the Drome is wikd, so many friendly nice people, and great musac!have fun, burn bright.Chloe

Chloe.
Paul Weller

Page: