Forums > Technical Discussion > Handles: Quicklinks or trigger snaps?

Login/Join to Participate

Freyrmember
22 posts

Posted:
So, I am just getting started with all this and having a hell of a time! I love learning new tricks!! Anyway, so I am looknig at/playing with several handle style and when it come to quick connects that allow me to switch poi (fire, practice, etc.) I'm torn between quicklinks and trigger snaps.

I purchased a set of these for comparison. I really like those triangular quicklinks because they are so small and don't get in the way when you wrap the poi around your hand. But they take too long to switch IMHO. Plus if you want the swivel on the handles its a seperate piece.

I had my first set of practice poi given to me and they used trigger snaps. These things rock because they are so easy and fast to switch, have the swivel built in and are super strong. BUT they are really long and stick out past the side of hand when I wrap the poi around my hand...

So I'm curious if any of you have used both and what your opinions are. Appologies if this has already been discussed, I did search the forums first.

Also does anyone know where to order those triangular quicklinks?

Fire is the test of gold; adversity, of strong men. - Seneca (5BC-65AD), Epistles

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Why would you be changing your poi at the finger strap? Usually ya just change the heads and those are usually held on by the oval quicklinks. Plus, why the need to switch poi so quickly. It takes what, 30 seconds to unscrew the links and change em. And how often do you switch poi. Unless youre going back and forth from fire to practice all the time, its not a big deal.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
And you should be able to find the triangular (and oval) quicklinks at a hardware store. I know I got an oval one at Home Depot.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

Freyrmember
22 posts

Posted:
Well, if all my poi only had the one wick on the end and they were all the same size then I would just switch at the head, but, lets say I have two wicks per poi, which requires a seperate chain assembly to maintain the same lenght, also going from say a 2 inch tube core to say a 4 inch tube core would add an extra 2 inches to my total length, if my chains a just long enough to allow a 2 inch to pass infromt of me while doing a buzzsaw then the 4 inches will hit me or at least screw up the fluid motion.

Its not so much speed that I worried about when switching but ease of transition. Spend 30 seconds switching quicklinks are 2 seconds switch trigger snaps, trigger snaps are much easier...

I dunno, I'm just playin around with ideas here trying to figure what is gonna work best for me...

-F

Fire is the test of gold; adversity, of strong men. - Seneca (5BC-65AD), Epistles