Xtremely Flameablemember
95 posts

Posted:
Hey I was just wondering I have seen a few pictures of beaming poi in use but I have never seen anyone use them around where I live. I was thinking about buying my own pair but I wanna know if they are worth it. I mean I have used fire all the time and have never tried the glowing equipment. Can anybody help me.

When a man lies, he murders some part of the world.

Yoyomember
25 posts

Posted:
My mate got some last year and they're fab! Definately worth it in my opinion and a nice alternative to fire as well.

A beautiful person needs no other merit than they're own existence!

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Word of warning though:
They look lovely and I personally find them a great weight. But by-golly-gee they HURT when they hit you.
And believe me, it's a case of when they hit you, not it...

Having said that they look lovely, even off under UV/Black light they look cool.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
I just want to restate my prior problem with them (the pain) with an added reason why some kind of rubber outercoating would be awsome. If you really get going with these things and they should HAPPEN to smash into each other because you messed up, hard plastic breaks.

My current set have cracks and stress marks all over em... not that big of a problem because they seem to hold up still. But the electronics inside, from being jarred around so much, are... sketchy. They turn on and off as I swing em around now unless I can knock them just right in a wrap to make them stay on.

I love the things, but don't try to go fast with them, and DO NOT let them hit anything, especially each other or certain areas of your anatomy which may hurt more than others...

ardenterSILVER Member
37 posts

Posted:
These are great, they have a good weight to them, and they are very sturdy. Never had a problem with mine at all.
Though, yes, they can cause serious injury.

rftekmember
101 posts

Posted:
i8beefy2:
try putting a penny/foil/something conductive on top of the batteries. that should keep em from blinking.

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
Battery life question: how long? My complaint with led type poi so far is that they all seem to eat batteries, which are not at all cheap.

RoGOLD Member
57 posts

Posted:
What do you guys think... Should I buy some, or should I make some? Up to now I've basically got home made everything staff and poi

I got a friend with a hell of alot of left over electronics and he could put something together... Think it's worth the trouble, am I just on crack for thinking like this?

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
*bump for the battery question*

and the canadian's question as well

ardenterSILVER Member
37 posts

Posted:
I always use the Lithium Ion batteries, and I get a VERY long life out of these.

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
Written by:

Originally posted by Malcolm
Fully Recyclable

I hear they make great christmas tree decorations rolleyes

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Good? Maybe. Expensive? Hell yeah!

::Wishes Santa decorates my entire tree with red and green beamers this year::

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

ardenterSILVER Member
37 posts

Posted:
Glowsticks being 99 cents per one, it is DEFINATELY worth getting beaming poi if you go through sticks quickly. (Experienced only, please)
Even so, they look good during the day and great at night, mine are orage/red and give off kind of a sparkly gemstone looking effect. I get compliments on my beaming poi more than any other toy I have used in public, even Rav'n or Photon 3 lights.

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
Beaming poi RULE!!!!

They are easily the best poichase I have made!

Although mine have been slightly (ok, completely) modified to have 1 red, 1 blue, 1 green and 1 yellow LED in each, I'll get some piccys up when I get some decent ones taken (falmouth weekend hopefully)

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

funkenSILVER Member
journeyman
92 posts

Posted:
i also have the problem with the flickering also when that bar is clean it presses one button on the battery inside that the battery gets no contact with the bar hope you all understand
but definateli i like them much but they realy hurt if they hit you
#grets

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
I seem to remember from when I was investigating mine for their "adjustments" that the problem was down to the battery with the positive terminal pointing down into the ball, compressing the spring slightly more than the other battery, this causes a temporary loss of the connection - hence flickering.

Hope this helps.

peace

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

leeeaaaaaaSILVER Member
2 posts

Posted:
Invest in rechargable batteries. I finally bought some for my digi cam, and then got more for everything else I own that uses batteries, including my beaming poi. I can't believe I never used them before, and it's better for the environment.

As far as the beaming poi are concerned. They HURT LIKE HELL if they beam you in the head, which is the only place they ever seem to hit me. The second time one him me, it popped up from momentum after I had stopped spinning them, and it still hurt a lot. So I really don't spin mine as much as I thought I would when I bought them.

Singed Piper (formerly Mark1)resident bagpiper
342 posts

Posted:
i use kerosene powered glow poi!

Q:What's the difference between the Great Highland Bagpipes and the Northumbrian Pipes?
A:The Great Highland Pipes burn longer.

griffinfeminine tiddly pom
505 posts

Posted:
i dunno, if you've seen them, but theres these toys which consist of three balls, some with glowy bits inside, attched or looped around a piece of string or elastic, that is you bounce or twirl around look really confusingly impressive-d'ya reckon they would work? they are very small tho, and probably not heavy enough, but does anyone know what im talking about and tried them?

in state of metamorphosis

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
Astrojax smile

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

505 posts

Posted:
yer-them funny things, have they been tried or Am I Just Being Silly?

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
They've been tried. They're too small for day poi and the glowing ones are too dim for good night poi. Not a good set of poi, good for what they're made for though.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

505 posts

Posted:
thankyou, ill grab some and jiggle them round and round, but on their designated strings. cheers
and back to beaming poi...

saffiremember
27 posts

Posted:
I recently bought two sets of Diamond Blue Astrojax and converted them into one set of poi. Each poi has 3 astrojax balls and they have fabulous blue led's that are beautifully bright. The astrojax with different colours are nowhere near as bright and look kinda dodgy though. Worked out about half the price of the beaming poi ( sorry, I am a student and am always broke) Because of the strobe effects you can change the variations on each ball which is pretty nice, 3 different strobes on each side. I guess that not everyone would like them, but I love mine!!

DONT PANIC
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
I have found astrojax to be rather fragile though - even for astrojaxing, much less poi...

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I ve done that as well but found them to be too light to spin around although they did look very pretty.

smile

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
I converted a pair of Woolworth's best Mood Lights...

Silicon outside (doesn't hurt as much) and a large colour changing LED inside...

3 in a pack + recharger

I would tell you how to make em, but Im trying to make some money out of it...

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
OOh, how about fibreoptic cord?

Im going to try it sometime soon...

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
just saying to whomever started this thread...
make a note on how almost every comment talks about how badly these things hurt when you screw up..ive had one mild concussion from them, and damaged a nerve in my arm (couldnt feel my left pinky and ring finger for bout 4 months).... they really are VERY PAINFUL and a bit on the dangerous side

Jesus saves sinners and redeems them for cash and
prizes

Co-Founder of Keepers of Light

Educate yourself about the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!