Forums > Technical Discussion > What wicks should I use for fire?

Login/Join to Participate

Storkmember
7 posts

Posted:
I've been doing poi for about a month and I know how to do quite a few moves. I never really hit myself anymore, but I'm still afraid of hitting myself in the face with a fire ball. I was just wondering if I should get the 2.5 in, 4 in, or cathedral wick and what are the pros and cons of them.

AIM: mightystork

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
Most everyone on this board would tell you that you should do a search before you post but I am not everyone else.Granted it would help if you did a search but I'll still summarize real quick for you.

Cathedral wicks soak more gas because they are all wick hence you get longer and better flame.They are also really easy to make.In my opinion they don't even really hurt that much either when you get hit.Though they are a bit heavy to the beginner and a bit more expensive.In my opinion, cathedral is the best poi design. However,until you feel totally comfortable with your ability you shouldn't light up.

The tube core and pure flame designs are not as heavy and quite a bit cheaper.They are also better for staff.Though they don't burn as long

Monkeyfists will soak even more gas hence even longer and bigger flame but they seem to be out of stock these days.Really expensive.Better for poi and meteors.

Hope that helped.

[ 13. March 2003, 14:39: Message edited by: poiaholic22 ]

Storkmember
7 posts

Posted:
I did do a little searching, but didn't really find the answer I needed to all my questions. Thanks for replying

AIM: mightystork

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
I only got my first Fire poi in December. They were cathedrals from the shop on this site. My practice poi were quite heavy so I didn't really notice that much difference. If you have light practice poi these are going to feel really heavy when fuel soaked.....If you spin gowstix or such you are going to find these like swinging bowling balls ...... but you will get used to them.
Haven't seen monkey fist poi up close yet.... but they look very heavy!!!!

In regard to hitting yourself I dont think there is all that much difference between the designs apart from the weight.

So much fire, so little body hair...