Forums > Technical Discussion > Preventative meausres for Kero Inhalation

Login/Join to Participate

Mr Potato Headmember
8 posts

Posted:
Hey all,
Does anyone know of any masks or such that reduce the amount of toxic fumes inhaled whilst twirling???
i was thinkig simple and along the lines of wet handkerchef or bandana wrapped round mouth and nose.... anyone????

I was so poor growing up ... if I wasn't a boy ...I'd have nothing to play with. --Rodney Dangerfield Whenever I see an old lady slip and fall on a wet sidewalk, my first instinct is to laugh. But then I think, what if I was an ant, and she fell on me. Then it wouldn't seem quite so funny. --Jack Handey Deep Thoughts

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
The spaces between the woven threads on a bandana look like the entire state of Colorado to a molecule of kero. That won't filter out very much.

Stay upwind, keep your dump covered as much as possible, don't breathe during your spin off, and don't hang out near open fuel any more than you have to.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Yes mike but it's not the knit of the fibres that makes wet cloth a filter it's the water which makes for much much smaller gaps and "catch" particles. The actual material just acts as a way to hold it.

Im not sure how effective it is but damp cloth definatly does have filtering qualities.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
The best idea is to get the MSDS sheet from your fuel supplier (supermarket, hardware store or petrochemical wholesaler...)

Then take it in to a workplace safety store and they may be able to suggest exactly what would be best to stop and what isn't required.

As far as I now, no-one ahs ever done this before and it would be excellent knowledge to have...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
I've been thinking about this more and more recently. Last night I went out for a burn and after I could hardly breathe for phlem on my chest. I am in dire need of a mask to protect myself from the smoke. I thought maybe a mask that cyclists wear for protection against petrol/deisel fumes would work.

I'll keep you posted s to what I find.

Thoughts anyone?

Are we nearly there yet?

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
quote:
Last night I went out for a burn and after I could hardly breathe for phlem on my chest.
ahh yes, my crew had a burn last night as well, and I went to bed constantly clearning my throat - it something that is really noticeable after a burn sometimes.

good thoughts on the bicycle mask thistle - let us know if you investigate this option, would love to hear more....

[edited for spelling]

[ 27. February 2003, 13:02: Message edited by: Ade ]