MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Ok, I was spinning at a drum circle last night (not fire, unfortunately, but it was spinning nonetheless) and a guy came up to me and started talking about fishing nets. I'm in Santa Barbara right now and there are a fair number of fishermen around. He said that he's seen fishermen throwing the fishing nets around sort of like how I was using the poi in the way that the arcs wrapped around my body.

I'm wondering if anyone here has ever seen a fisherman throwing a net and has any idea what he's talking about. I'm just wondering if there might not be an interesting new toy waiting to happen in all of this.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Kendermember
33 posts

Posted:
I think you could use a small light blanket to practice with, maybe have to modify it a little for shape and effect, but I think it would work a lot like the fishing net.

-= Kender =-

xtremravr...was here..member
337 posts

Posted:
oooohhhhh good idea good idea!!! oww that kinda hurt...anyways the idea is take a real fishing net, they have weights around the net to provide weight when throwing, now you could kinda make the net act like a big flag, and you could put photons, or glowies or sumthin like that on it, then twirl it around you like a flag!!! and if you got enough lights or make a cool design out of the lights on the net then you could get a pretty wicked effect from it i bet!! wow that hurt my brain thinking that hard...

Peace Luv Uni-t Respect Responsa-what?!?! Xtrem

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
yeah, i grew up on the beach, just seein fishing nets brought up many memories, and many ideas! but, there wouild prob. be way too much fire, and not many moves to do. there is also the net as a weapon, as in gladiators. you could just twirl the net around like a poi from the middle, and then cast it out in a wide disk of fire... hmmm..

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I'm not saying that we turn a fishing net into a fire toy. I wanna go one step at a time here. I want to know exactly what it is that fishermen do that looks so cool when they throw their net.

Let's keep in mind, I'm from Michigan. I have never seen a fisherman using a net. Fly fishing, yes (also an interesting idea for a toy...), but not with a net.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
well, i'm ready to burn it, fry it, light it up! but i'm a pyprofessional. a castnet is thrown right handed by takin one point of the outer rim in your teeth, say 5 o clock, holding the center of the net with left hand, and holding onther point on the rim, say 1 o clock, with the right. then with a twist at the waist, and an untwist while throwing all out. you want it to pan out in a circle to catch the most fish. if you eat fish. i hope that made sense.

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

IdubIHoP Lurker
272 posts

Posted:
I've got a heavy poncho (worn as a square, not the usual diamond, made out of a blanket with a hole for my head) that I'm trying to learn to poi in (not with fire obviously that'd be daft).

If I fold it up I get a long length of cloth that I've tried a few moves with, I suppose it's sort of like monkey fists (or whatever they're called) but around my head.

Only vaguely relavent but.........

Regards,
Drew.

*Oh, just for a minute,* my bed said.
"Don't lie to me," I grumbled.
*But you're so tired...*