I am Schwabemember
25 posts

Posted:
Alright, Ive recently become intrested in fire breathing, poi, all that. I havent touched a poi yet smile, I dont have one, and am curious about them though.But over the past few weeks Ive been reading up on fire breathing, and practicing it. I have to say, its, quite the feeling, as you would know. I have a problem with it though, and was wondering if it is normal. When I breathe out, I get a flame about 6, 7 feet long amd hold it for around 5 seconds. But every time, I always seem to dribbled, my chin coats with fuel, and a bit even drips down onto my chest.Is that normal, or is it something you could give me tips on fixing? I dont have anyone to train me though :/, up here in Wisoconsin...doesnt seem like anyone does these stunts....

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
You could try looking in the meet others section. I did a brief search and it came up with 5 names. You should contact them maybe. They might know someone who could help you even if they didn't breath themselves.Also Pele is very knowledgable about the subject so you could try contacting her. She's always glad to give info. Her addy is spiderblade@yahoo.com------------------C@ntusThere's only one way of life and that's your own.

Meh

DIANNAmember
55 posts

Posted:
WELL YOU COULD TRY TO START OUT WITH A LITTLE BIT OF FUEL AND WORK UP SO YOU CAN DO IT WITH OUT DRIPPING (IT'S NOT A GOOD THING TO DRIP FUEL WHEN YOUR BREATHING FIRE)duh LOLALSO WITH THE POI YOU CAN START OUT WITH GLOW STICS AND TENNIS BALLS ON A STRING ALSO YOU CAN BUY SOME POI SWINGS I LIKE ZUNIS AND ALL THE ONES THEY SELL HERE.(E-MAIL IDKY456456 @AOL.COM)

I am Schwabemember
25 posts

Posted:
www.angelfire.com/poetry/schwabe/images/fire.htmlin that picture, I saw my lips were very puffed out, is that how they are suppose to be? errr....also for fuels, Ive read that 'lamp oils' are what you should use, but, um, at a store what do you buy them as? I havent read much on sites about lighter fluid, but on the advisoriers, everythign looks alright, thats waht Ive been using...:/and thanks for the comments, but, lol, no one for gb showed up in that search :/[This message has been edited by I am Schwabe (edited 01 January 2002).]

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
I didn't think it was so loud in here that we needed to shout.Do watch the capitol letters, please.------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

Jesus helps me trick people.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Ooh well done puppy. I was about to say. It's fun playing moderators isn't it? And as there doesn't appear to be any about except Josh.....

Meh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Well Schwabe, you could try just putting the state in. It's a long shot. As i said originally contact those people and they might know of someone that can help you.

Meh

I am Schwabemember
25 posts

Posted:
cool, I did put just the state in, 10 names came upalthough, being that Im a kid (14), just, meeting people feels weird..and on a second note. No Dribbling! smile!I breathed some more tnight, and got a few awesome picsIm gonna post them on www.geocities.com/schwabethezer0/fire/[This message has been edited by I am Schwabe (edited 01 January 2002).]

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
You don't have to meet them. Just email them. You could always take a parent or something with you anyway. They enjoy nothing more than watching offspring risking life and limb playing with fire after all...[This message has been edited by Cantus (edited 01 January 2002).]

Meh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Nice photos BTW

Meh

I am Schwabemember
25 posts

Posted:
smilethanksand yea...my parents...they wouldnt like that fact of my intrest in fire...lolthat would be an intresting conversation though"Mom, I enjoy to breathe fire.":Mom laughs, smiles:"No really, look at these pics":: Mom cant say anythign other than :: "Go to your room"

emthrenmember
57 posts

Posted:
I'd say dribbling some fuel on your chin is common when people start, although ideally there shouldn't be ANY fuel on your face. As long as the flame isn't coming too close to your face, and you wipe your chin regularly, it shouldn't be a reason to stop practising. Nevertheless, the risk is there, and it's a good idea to try to get rid of it.Things to try are using less fuel (obviously) and blowing with more force.Your choice of fuel is worrying though. From memory, lighter fluid has a very low flash-point, which increases the risk of blow-back and makes it much easier to set fuel-coated skin on fire. Kerosene and lamp-oil have lower flash points, and probably different consistencies - makes for a vastly different fire breathing experience.In regards to puffed out lips... I don't think I've seen anyone do it. Usually the lips are pretty tight and pursed, like for playing the trumpet. The pic just might be after you've finished breathing and are relaxing though? Probably better to self-monitor in regards to that one.

Ajaymember
158 posts

Posted:
i dont know alot about fire breathing but the only time ive ever seen anyone do it they held a piece of damp cloth in the hand not holding the torch. and just after they finished blowing they would put the cloth to there mouth.i assumed this was a thing all fire breathers did, is it?

One fine day in the middle of the night,
Two dead men got up to fight,
Back to back they faced each other,
Drew there swords and Shot each other.

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
Schwabe : The photos look really good. smile

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
These are my personal thoughts on firebreathing:(follow at your own risk; I'm not a moron, but neither am I an expert)How tight your lips are depends on what shape flame you want... puffed out makes more a ball and tight makes a plume, as the fuel comes out faster and slower respectively.Don't use meths. Trust me. Not even a little bit, ever.I even accidentally used meths with boric acid in it once. Never again. Seriously.Paraffin/kerosine is the best that I have used.The best way of improving your breathing is starting with not very much (but not like hardly any, i mean, there's no point, just not a mouthful) and working your way up... also helps to loosen your breathing, and you learn how to sustain the blow more, otherwise you will end up just spitting the last bits out onto the floor.Do it with water until you don't dribble. After that, there's no point because the proof is in the way the flame looks & lasts, which you can't tell from water.Oh, have water handy to wash your mouth out.And drinking milk before really helps! I'm not joking about that one! Lowers chance of you feeling hungover-ish and tight chested the next day.Er, have a cloth to wipe your face because paraffin makes a rash, which is really quite painful (I had a fuel bottle break in my bag and cover my back in paraffin... I didnt notice till I got home and couldn't lie down for three days).If you get dizzy from breathing out, stop.When you take the deep breath before you breath, take it through your nose (important that one)Wind direction is a good consideration, especially because even though you may be fine your blows will look more impressive if they are downwind.Watch out for trees.Don't let anyone try, even if they say they have done it beforeIf you are going to teach someone, make sure that it's just you and them so there are no distractions.uh... thats all i can think of. please tell me if any of it was remotely helpful.

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

GlowWormBRONZE Member
84 posts

Posted:
Hey: "I am Schwabe", how long did you practice for before you started? how did you start ect ect? E-mail me, maybe you can help me, cause im just a kid too (15)nickmacole@hotmail.comYour help, AND ANYONE ELSES would be apreciated! I also do poi, but haven't started fire yet. Some tips would be nice too!Peace out------------------ColesId love to be a glow-wormCuz a glow-worm's never glumIt's hard to be downheartedWhen a light shines out your bum

Coles
Id love to be a glow-worm
Cuz a glow-worm's never glum
It's hard to be downhearted
When a light shines out your bum

cyberpunkgrrlmember
27 posts

Posted:
I did fire breathing a fire poi for the first time on NYE! WOW!!!! *grin*I am now totally hooked! There's nothing like the first time you swing the flames past your ear...*sigh*: )

Retry
Abort...

Failed!

cyberpunkgrrlmember
27 posts

Posted:
Sorry - that was meant to be 'fire breathing AND fire poi'Doh!

Retry
Abort...

Failed!

I am Schwabemember
25 posts

Posted:
thanks for the informative black bird, that sums up a lot of the basics if not all smilebut also the cloth is there for in case you do happen to dribble, fuel spilling down and then onto your chest could be disaterousand Glow Worm...umm, this may sound strange, but I had been dreaming of doing it (actual, dreams...) for a few days before hand, had with water like, for 20 minutes, and then did it.but see, Im fucking stupid wink, or just got the hang of it instantly, because I understood it.And if you do try, watch VERY MUCH about what black bird is saying about if you get dizzy when breathing out. in your lungs about 10 percent of the air, in the bottom, is called yoru tidal breath, considered, your last breath, when you get rid of that, you either faint...or...if you cant breath again, die...:/glow worm, ...time is not concrete.dont base anything when you are training for something dangerous on 'time'. move to fuel and flames when you feel confident enough to, not before...psthanks bam winkheheh, my friend is bringing over a video camera he said...we're going to go out to a park (soccer field) that, while it will happen to be cold taking my shirt off when theres snow (dont want it to risk getting burnt...) it should be fun lol

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
I think I found the safest way to do fire breathing. Get a bottle of Dan T's Inferno Whitehot Cayenne Pepper Sauce - Shotgun it, and not only will you be breathing flames but you get that cool steam out of the ears thing that we all remember from our Bugs Bunny days grin

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Ajay, all knowledgable fire breathers use a cloth. It not only helps eliminate dribble which helps to reduse the risk of a blowback but also it wipes the fuel off your lips so as to reduse the lingering fuel taste(for those lip lickers like I am), and it helps to keep your chin moist so it doesn't dry out, which fire breathing has a drying effect on the skin. Wiping should be done just after putting the fuel in your mouth and then you cover your mouth immediately after for blowback purposes.{{ Moderator Mode}} There are *****many***** extremely informative threads which discuss every aspect of fire breathing you can imagine (I should know, I posted in all of them). Just use the search.Also, if you are getting rashes from your fuel then chances are you are allergic. I have used Kero and paraffin for sometime with absolutely no reaction (other than cotton mouth) after the fact.I am going to disagree with the drinking water immediately after. It will actually rinse residual fuel down your gullet faster. Spit out a few times, then eat something starchy (acts as a base to the acid) and then drink. Milk is good before hand, buttermilk is better. Tums, Maalox, any ant-acid works well beforehand or charcoal caps from the pharmacy as well.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

SaBBaSenthusiast
215 posts

Posted:
hey everyone (my first post!!! wink )i'm also firebreathing, just started, just wanted to tell you a bit of how i usually do it: - first of all i wash out my mouth with some cooking oil, i know, its a bit disgusting, but it helps to protect your pores, so you absorb very little paraffin. i heard you could also use lemon juice, as it closes the pores. milk is also good.- i have my lips very tight together, and usually i get no drips, guess this comes from practicing with water while showering (awfully long showers, the bathroom full of water, my parents seriously wondering what i did in the shower... )some years before i saw that i was old enough (started VERY early being fascinated by fire...) or had enough time.- after fire breathing, i wash out my mouth some times, spitting out, not swallowing.- IF i swallow some fuel, i drink lots of water ( >half a liter) and try to eat something...i know blackbird said nearly everything before, just couldn't wait more for my first post. grin i think that's all....SaBBaSP.S.: if there's someone speaking german, check out this site https://www.feuerfonger.de
, its really nice and that's where i learnt my breathing, eating and glass walking....------------------Don't you destroy your enemy by making him your friend?? - Rev Bem (Magog), Andromeda[This message has been edited by SaBBaS (edited 08 January 2002).]

Don't you destroy your enemy by making him your friend?? - Rev Bem (Magog), Andromeda