phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
To everyone who owns a pair (or set like me) of photon lights, they know that its quite costly to replace the batteries. They run on something like two CR2016. They sell them cheapest i've seen is 4 dollars. so 4*2*8 = ... too much. Anyways, is there away that i could wire them to go through to some double A batteries? I'm thinking if i could just get them hooked up to some recharable batteries i could save tons of money that could go to me getting drunk or something.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Well someone should respond... might as well be me.Dunno Phunky, You'd have to figure out the voltage and current that the photons need and then match it. Remember that two batteries in series doubles the voltage needed. What's the voltage on the Photon batteries?It might take some HW, or if you're feeling lucky, just try it. Maybe try ONE AAA battery (you can get rechargable ones of those if you find it works) and then work your way up... I'd try to find SOME idea of the voltage you're working with first though... Keep in mind that voltage and current are different and if you overdo either, you'll blow something. But there should be no trouble UNDERdoing it, so I'd start small...Just thinkin' outloud. Good luck dude...

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
each cr2016 is 3v. So im guessing 6v for each photon.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

NaganootchAKA CLERIC
172 posts

Posted:
I doubt any sorta A batteries would work.The little CR2016 batteries are 3 volts each. a AAA is only 1 volt. I doun't believe wit would be enough to power it. Oh and if you hit radio shack you can buy LEDs for 1.50 and get a round 6v battery and make your own electric glowsticks.. I've done it and it's amazing looking. The white LED light which is about 5 bucks is amazingly bright and you can see if from very far away.

We are defined by the choices we make

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
The radioshacks around here don't sell leds. I actually put my photons in emptied out glowsticks, just that replacing the batteries are expensive. Though my friend tried to make a set of electric glowsticks. Had everything figured out but it was way too dim. How bright are your set compared to regular photons that you buy out of a store Naganootch?------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

NaganootchAKA CLERIC
172 posts

Posted:
I would say the WHITE one i made, is about 1 and a half times to 2 times the brightness. 1 because it's pure white light. and 2 because as you know when you put it in the glowstick the light fills up the whole tube.The colored LEDs aren't really that amazing even though you can clearly see them without a problem. They just pale in comparison to the white.BLINKING GREEN LEDLUMINOUS INTENSITY----600 mcd (the blinking sucks)Green Jumbo LEDLuminous intensity---350 mcdSuper Bright LEDLuminous Intensity--5000(i think the battery source wasn't powerful enough er sumthin cause it just looked like a standard red LED)Wide Angle YellowLuminous Intensity---500mcd (supposed to be yellow but looks more orange with my power source,,the light looks good though)White LEDLuminous Intensity---1100(by far the best one,,well worth the 5 bucks)

We are defined by the choices we make

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
This has been something I have been thinking about for a while now, because I use 4 of the RAV'N lights regularly. I was actually thinking about tring to order the batteries from the manufacturer to save money. I'll try right now. PLUR(RE) ---J---

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
Try this https://www.pcs-chromex-batteries.com/batts.htm
They have a minimum order, but their prices are a lot lower, and face it, you are probably going to use 100 batteries over the next year or two anyway, right? tongue PLUR(RE) ---J---

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
OK-so I was lazy. Do a search for them. I came up with like 1957 matches, I just picked one at the top of the list. There were a couple that got below $1 a piece, with no minimum order. Peace!

mojo_jojomember
14 posts

Posted:
Hey there, this is Mojo Jojo. I found a website that sells Ultra BriteLED's. Red, Orange, Green, Blue, Turqouise, and White, all at very reasonable prices. The URL is : " https://hosfelt.com
"You could buy diff. colored LED's to replace the ones' in your Photon II's. smile They will even send you a printed catalog if you ask them nicely.------------------" Where ever u rave, there u are "

Where ever u rave, there u are

foobaaspinning for ages
125 posts

Posted:
Yeh I tried replacing my photo LED's with the "ultra bright" LED's from the local electric store...had nothing on the photon LED's for brightness.....they must have some damn good ones at photon....

fe fi foo fun

DeuceTrinalmember
3 posts

Posted:
The Photons could in theory be powered by mulitple AA's, in series/parellel, I'm not sure exactly how much - I'm assuming 6V, so four AA's would do it, I'm not sure of amperage though - you may have to wire double sets, in parallel to get the kind of power needed. just connect thusly:+.====.-|............||............|+.====.-|............||............|.\........../......LED(just ignore the periods - they're spacers)with each ==== being a set of four AA's, wired from + to - all the way through. I think LED's are pretty damn durable - It'd be pretty hard to hurt them with AA's, I'd expect. (Edit:Fixed Pic)-------------As Always, I may be wrong.[This message has been edited by DeuceTrinal (edited 19 December 2001).][This message has been edited by DeuceTrinal (edited 19 December 2001).][This message has been edited by DeuceTrinal (edited 19 December 2001).]