Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
I love doing the burnoff thing with the staff where you spin it and get a big whoosh smile but is there an equivalent move for poi?I have tried spinning it like a cowboy rope... hard to explain, makes a globe shape with the wicks at the bottom... which sort of works... sort of...

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

becBRONZE Member
521 posts

Posted:
you can (very carefully) hit them together - just try and avoid the tangle which obviously is a pretty poor way to begin your routine... but it will work to give you a fireballor I've seen people hit them on the ground for less of an effect...

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
I'm not aware of any technique for poi similar to the fast-spin staff trick. However, you can do some neat tricks with white gas when spinning on pavement.In both cases, you soak in pure white gas and light w/o spinning off. WARNING: THIS IS PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS BOTH TO THE PERFORMER AND ANY OBSERVERS! YOU CAN AND WILL SEND FLAMING SHITBALLS 20-30 FEET IN ALL DIRECTIONS!For the first trick, just do simple overhand spinning, only give the poi a hard spin on the downstroke and let off on the rest of the cycle. The object is to create two lines of fuel on the ground and not to send spray into the sky. In most cases, the gas on the ground will self ignite, but if it doesn't, just touch the poi to the ground.The second trick is slightly more difficult. Start with your arms straight out at either side and start turning arround in circles -- do not move your hands or arms at all. As the poi start to move outwards, bend your knees and let the poi roll on the ground. This will create a great big circle of fire that you can then spin inside of.-p.

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Or for a neat trick you can build something like me and get some flexi conduit pipe and drill mad holes along one serface of it then link it together so it forms a cricle dump some fuel in it. Light it and jump in :P[This message has been edited by Knagi (edited 24 July 2001).]

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
At a party that me, Brad, Frodo, Beth and some others performed at recently i managed to smack my monkey fists together at one side of my body by seperating them during the weave. As i'd only just started burning and had lots of excess fuel, it created a rather lovely pillar of flame that i then span back through.

I've tried to do it deliberately without a huge amount of success.

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
Psst, Mags, Brad was in Southampton tongue

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
also, another way to get a fireball is if you just spin forwards normally, on the downward swing of the poi jerk your hands back towards your body and it should give you a little fire ball on each poi.

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
my buddy had a pair of the double poi from the HOP shop and started doing a butterfly with them....beautiful little lake of flames was created

i like the burnoff circle

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more