EnigmAmember
20 posts

Posted:
Does anyone here do poi movements in their martial art weapon demos or martial art weapon moves in their poi demos? tell me what weapons or style YOU PRACTICE that uses weapons.

fireflymember
52 posts

Posted:
it's me again!i guess we're the only people in toronto doing poi. i use as well nunchaku in my shows.back in germany i did 3 years of wing tsun kung-fu.

frank bentzin

Drakemember
72 posts

Posted:
in karate i use a whip-chain (a four or so foot chain with a spike on the end...fun!) which is very much like poi. and two can be used, making it pretty much a weapon version of poi. with spear and staff i do a lot of moves similar to staff twirling (many of whih translate to poi nicely). theres also nunchaku, i think we can all see the resemblence. some sword techniques can work for poi, same with sai and escrima sticks, but all those are a little less related. or if youre like me you can show up at your dojo and...spin poi (!!yay!!). the kids sure like it. but the woman who owns the place (and doesnt do crap there, just sits and plays freecell...when shes even there) is very scared that ill hit some little space cadet peewee who's too busy trying to figure out why they had to take their shoes off before they walked on the main floor to take notice of me SPINNING HARD HEAVY OBJECTS AT HIGH SPEEDS, and they HURT. and i havent hit anybody yet... yet.DRAKEkatafunk@hotmail.comwww.geocities.com/katafunk

Bushido HEATmember
10 posts

Posted:
Indeed poi can be used in the martial arts. (just look how much you can hurt yourself unintentionally!)Just acouple of years ago, I saw a martial arts special and it had a lady fighting with poi like balls. (Just a little heavier and probably made out of iron or something) it was really neat. [This message has been edited by Bushido HEAT (edited 26 May 2001).]

EyeStormmember
54 posts

Posted:
Poi-like metal balls= Meteor Hammer? smile

((m/)) --==EyeStorm==--

Drakemember
72 posts

Posted:
true EyeStorm true

Plazmamember
73 posts

Posted:
sup Enigma!! i've been wondering the same question only mine is with body movement!!! is there like any sort of martial arts body movement i can incorperate into my poi routine to make my style look cleaner, or a lot better?------------------My World is a world of one, and in being one they Rave! My World is a Godly World and I am its master!

My World is a world of one, and in being one they Rave! My World is a Godly World and I am its master!

kmactanemember
97 posts

Posted:
If you're looking for fluidity and rhythm, my suggestions would be: tai chi, aikido, and maybe capoeira.

EnigmAmember
20 posts

Posted:
All you guys trying to rip of martial art moves to make your poi look better and then critizing the use of poi as a weapon.

EyeStormmember
54 posts

Posted:
*smacks himself in the head*You're just asking to be flamed, man... smile

((m/)) --==EyeStorm==--

Plazmamember
73 posts

Posted:
hehe! i wuz never criticizing it as being a weapon, i wuz just asking b/c i know they have smooth body movements and well...i'm a little sketchy still, that's all! i hope you weren't implying that towards me, but if you were you've herd my side. no offense man! peace grin grin i think that if you do this along with the martial arts that would be kick ass!!! sometimes i wish i had learned it from say a dojo...maby i wouldn't hit myself as much then! hehe! *whacks self* Ow! grin------------------My World is a world of one, and in being one they Rave! My World is a Godly World and I am its master!

My World is a world of one, and in being one they Rave! My World is a Godly World and I am its master!

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I critised the overstated effectiveness of everyday poi (practice or fire, NOT metal balls) in the hands of an inexperienced combatant in a real life self-defence situation.I've _always_ said that Martial Arts is a great way to improve your poi'ing and to a lesser extent, vice versa.nice day it is...to be sick I am.Josh

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Quite happy to see this discussion cuz I've been practicing Aikido for 8 years allready and I really found similarities in the fluidity, in the use of breathing and rythm, it also helps not being too tensed in the shoulders and all. Strangely enough it also has quite an effect on the perception you have of your surrounding when you practice both poiz and aikido. as if you could grasp the "audience " or the partner's moves.Shit frown !! my english sucks and I am affraid I don't make much sense, do I ??

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

EnigmAmember
20 posts

Posted:
I say if your going to take a martial art for poi reasons. then find yourself a chinese weapon system. Don't settle for karate just because it's close to you, find yourself a kick ass club that's got some crazy moves. Because karate weapons suck and so do their empty hand moves they'er stiff and ridged.Tai chi could work but you'll have to do it faster then normal, aikido is only good for rolling on the ground and thoughing your attacker across the room. I can see the capoeira for the acro stuff while spinning around you and for douging each others attacks from both kicks and poi. And remember not karate wink

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
if you think of or try to use any kind of fire tools as a weapon you will seriously limit yourself on what can be done. when i first started i was shown 4 basic moves with nunchaka this was the last time i called them nunchaka. as i knew i would never be able to use them in public areas. in twenty years of Twisting i have only been asked once by the police what i was using. when i showed him the diffrences and explained they were used complitaliy diffrent. he was happy in fact i had two police officers watching me last night they thought i was practicing for a show.

SamhmanSILVER Member
35 posts

Posted:
I think it helps. Staff and staff. rope dart and fire dart. poi n nunchuki!!