Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > "Uneven" or "lop-sided" twirling.

Login/Join to Participate

Spin Doctormember
34 posts

Posted:
I've noticed that while I'm spinning, my poi don't always follow each other in such a rigid line as they should (Like in a weave) and sometimes one poi sticks out more than the other (Say in like a butterfly the two "circles" of light made aren't quite level enough. Same with in a corkscrew) And I'm not sure how to fix it. It's starting to irritate me now as a lot of people just say "well that poi needs to come down lower" or something and I can't really keep it solved for long. :-S Is there any big secret?

Cheers
Spin Doctor

Imagine something witty or profound was here.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
it's easier to cleaup up your paths by twirling as sloooooow as possible - control is easier when your brain has more time to think. As you speed up, your fast paths will be based on your slow paths.
if you have difficik trying to slow down, perhaps it's time to burrow a pair of clubs, inidna or juggling.
above all, HAVE FUNNNNNNN!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
spin some heavier practice poi.. (I usually recommend hackey sacks in socks because they dont' hurt when you hit yourself) This will help to build your muscles quicker and since its mostly muscle memory that we rely on to do all this poi stuff, it will help build your control faster..

edit: hope no one saw this pre edit..lol... damn typos..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

jonathanenthusiast
210 posts

Posted:
seeing yourself do the techniquesis helpful too. either watch yourself in a window at night, or get a friend to tape you.

the harsh realities of your poi style (and mistakes) are a good way to constructively critique you technique.

its just about practise and thinking about what your doing until you dont have to

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Try practicing spinning in enclosed environments where you have to keep your planes tight to avoid hitting the walls. Places like thin corridors or inside wardrobes. Look out for talking lions though, or you might inadvertently become party to a fantastical christian allegory.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by simian:
Try practicing spinning in enclosed environments where you have to keep your planes tight to avoid hitting the walls. Places like thin corridors or inside wardrobes. Look out for talking lions though, or you might inadvertently become party to a fantastical christian allegory.

i share a birhtday with that particular fanatical/fantastical author....

and read all his books when i was tiny...and ama convinced atheist..

as for the lopsidedness... totally agree with the above... get a mirror and spin slowly.

R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)