Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
in front wall plane crossers carrying both poi to btb wall plane crossers without getting confused...

--ben

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
loads of stuff where i spin round in circles and get dizzy alot.

also something which i think is probably same direction ttn.

and split time butterfly (thanks beth smile)

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
spiral yup they're mostly pointless
(mostly wink)

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
I don't know what it's called and I can only do it with my socks at the mo, but I worked out a nice little trick last night - from horizontal stall in front of you, tangle poi a couple of times, swing left poi out, taking right poi with it in the tangle, then catch right poi as it comes round.

Am sure you guys have all been doing this for ages, but I was pleased biggrin

Getting to the other side smile

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
I just learned this way easy weave to butterfly wrap transition. Everyone's probably doing it, but I learned it all on my own... so I'm proud, lol.

Do a simple foward weave, it's on your left, as it comes over to your right swing the right poi once more parallel to your body(is that called a wall plane)and wrap the left one around the bottom of your right forarm. when it unwraps it should bring you into butterfly. Anayway, I'm proud, lol.

Don't mind me, just passing through.

thorFlaming Lesbian
181 posts

Posted:
just learned the reverse ttn, isolated weave, and the butterfly weave. all while sitting awake at 3am in a washington motel room =]

Lights dancing off my skin as chains wrap round it.
Pain is in a little box and I'm so glad I found it.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Written by: Sprialx

Antispun isolations

eh? confused How is this possible? Or am I missing something?

Let's relight this forum ubblove

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Just rotate your arms in a circle the wrong way ubblol

"Moo," said the happy cow.

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
its all in shifting your view.. you can't antispin an isolation.. but you can isolate antispin.. if that makes sense.. or maybe I have that backwards..

you can move your arms backward while isoalting a forward spin..thus isoalting during antispin.... but you can't spin backwards and isolate ..
thus trying to antispin the isolation..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Rev -

[Nx]'s single circle antispins, if spun so the hand is moving purely in a horizontal axis and the poi head is moving purely in a vertical axis, is an antispun isolation isn't it?

i thought that you could tell when you were antispinning an isolation because the shape of your pattern turns from a flower (of n petals) into a star (of n points).

(1st point formed by poi head, 2nd by handle, 3rd by head, 4th by handle etc...)

or is that isolated antispin rather than antispun isolation?

recently i have learnt: an antispin weave, and another antispin weave, and lots of things to do with antispin that are making me go "hmmmmm" in a fun way smile

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
oh in flower, ok I get ya, I thought it was just normal iso's bein antispun which seems to me to be a stop and wobble :lol

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
No, not in a flower ubblol

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
umm spank

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Just stand there spinning clockwise in the wall plane, when the poi line up and you could do a normal isolation just rotate your hands 180 degrees anticlockwise - the poi should line up at 90 degrees only and you end up with your arms crossed, right arm over left...

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
oh that! I can do that biggrin Thought it was normal anti-spin ubblol typical....

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
ubblol

garthySILVER Member
old hand
717 posts

Posted:
Split time butteryfly stalls with a clean(ish) 90 plan plane change.

Spinning around alot without them hitting me then falling on the sand and giggling all dizzy. biggrin

"**grumble*spuriouswindmills*grumble**" - Coleman
"if poi was only for girls there wouldnt be many good poi spinners...." - Nx

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
Just got the 5 beat weave!!! biggrin I'm thrilled.

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
WooHoo, Hyperloops! For the longest time I was convinced they did not exist and were achieved through clever video editing, much like that moon landing nonsense.

"My skin is singed but it heals my heart and with glowing pride I'll wear my scars." -Davey Havok

Y.T.SILVER Member
hopeless addict
121 posts

Posted:
sometimes i hate my insomia bouts but today i love them, i always seem to come up with stuff i've never imagined possible smile. just got some random 360 degree isolated turning hyperloop, i can't explain because i have no idea how it's working at the moment.

this always happens to me, i get bored of poi, decide to concentrate on double staff and contact, then i open another can of worms, teaches me not to lose the faith i suppose angel

Ninjas NEVER give up!

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
hyperloop stalls thanks to Oli's "bottom of a cliff" video and, coincidentally, oli-ing my hyperloops continuously. Something just clicked, it's sooooo easy I can't beleive it's taken so long. Funny how one thought/realisation makes a previously impossible task possible a single breath later isn't it!

bounce bounce2

creaturesfarleySILVER Member
stranger
22 posts

Posted:
wassit called wen u do a btb weave with one hand and a normal 1 wiv theother then swap around? i just started randomly doing it wen i was free-spinning the other day. I havent experimented 2 much wiv it and so i dnt no wether it can b done continouosly or wether it just tangles up after a few beats. any1?

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
No idea, but could you lose the text message speak? It's truly painful to read and doesn't exactly put you in a good light rolleyes

Spacecow00xSILVER Member
170 posts

Posted:
I too just got the hang of a couple hyperloop tricks, making them clean now, i just got the btb weave down still making that clean also

You've got the wings of a fallen angel
You offer peace if they praise your name
You live your life taking everything you can get
Look down, time to fly!

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
miss.aimz just taught herself a hyperloop biggrin

creaturesfarleySILVER Member
stranger
22 posts

Posted:
Written by: spiralx

No idea, but could you lose the text message speak? It's truly painful to read and doesn't exactly put you in a good light rolleyes

woops. sorry :P its just so difficult to break out of. i swear that soon txt will be an alternative language to english and people will be taking degrees in it etc lol

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
what i believe to be possibly a notcoleman5 smile although it dosnt seems to me more of a new way of splicing together a buzzsaw and a 5 bt than a new move to me, but maybe im doing something else. either way its new smile

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Turning buzzsaws and other inside and inverted shenannigans. There's definitely a fine art to all of this... smile

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
hyperlooped antispun fountain thingies, incredibly easy to get into abd do the move, much harder to finish cleanly and exit but worth the effort smile

Vertical Propellors up to a reasonably consistent 10 beats biggrin

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
inverted thruwraps of various kinds... some that stay inside for one beat before exiting, some that go outside after coming inside and then have to come back inside on the other side to unwrap... and hyperlooped versions of the same, one that the strings cross, one poi comes inside, transition and then the other comes inside to undo, and one that goes inside outside transition to outside back inside to undo.
waistwraps where the carry is a crosser and as such the poi are always one transition away from each other, rather than transitioning together, which came from fiddling about with separating the poi by 1.5 beats rather that the normal 0.5...
weirdly inverted turning split time butterfly where you swap which poi is inverted during the turn... not sure how it works but it does...

--ben

Page: ......