Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Mr_widdeat my face before i eat yours
253 posts

Posted:
butterfly barrel rolls, both ways

next reverse antispin weave!

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
 Written by: coleman

and i finally got round to sorting out antispin flowers ubbrollsmile

this weekend they worked proper for the first time ever really - they've worked on and off before but never as solid as this.

no lockouts or nuthin - just smooth antispin flower gorgeousness ubblove

i spent about half of a burn spinning just that one move listening to the woosh and speeding up and slowing down...

and i know they work now cos i could hear it and hels told me she saw it smile

that took a while umm

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

micoBRONZE Member
freedom in chains
176 posts

Posted:
Continuous throws from a three beat weave thingy with each
hand releasing when it goes under the other arm, the poi
going over the head and back to the same hand on its usual
side of the body. Makes me think I should have three poi..

Same time butterfly arm raps to btb stalls to change
direction and do it again in reverse. (Okay the upwards
double stalls are horizontal, I like them like this which is
good, cos up stalls are major tricky.)

Isolated 5-beat fountain, still has a part I can't do without
being in two places at once, so still working on that.

ubbrollsmile

Hey, what would poiing in space, weightless, look like?
(throws would be interesting.. isolations, harder or easier?)
Think of the possibilities!!

weavesmiley

~peace is a fire~

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
 Written by: mico

Continuous throws from a three beat weave thingy with each
hand releasing when it goes under the other arm, the poi
going over the head and back to the same hand on its usual
side of the body. Makes me think I should have three poi..

Same time butterfly arm raps to btb stalls to change
direction and do it again in reverse. (Okay the upwards
double stalls are horizontal, I like them like this which is
good, cos up stalls are major tricky.)

Isolated 5-beat fountain, still has a part I can't do without
being in two places at once, so still working on that.

ubbrollsmile

Hey, what would poiing in space, weightless, look like?
(throws would be interesting.. isolations, harder or easier?)
Think of the possibilities!!

weavesmiley

been thinking about that lately, actually. biggrin and i learned the 3 and 5 beat continuous throws since i've posted here too. and double butterfly throws are getting there... the only one that works 100% is if i stall both poi upward from reverse butterfly and flick the handles inward (isolated) to catch them in the same hand. but i can throw double forward bflys to try to catch with opposite hands, only if i cross wrists and stall them a little underneath like they were spinning reverse. wink at this point i need to figure out how to uncross my wrists and catch them without tangling everything, but it'll come eventually.

also there's some overly complicated half-btb/contact catch/double throw move i posted in the "comb-over" thread that i got this weekend. biggrin

nonenonenoneSILVER Member
129 posts

Posted:
Woo! after SO long trying and so much pain (especially tonight after hitting myself in the face and giving myself a nose bleed!) , i finally cracked btb weave!
its still kinda hit and miss (literally!) but i can actually do it!
yay!! bounce bounce2

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:

1)Butterfly barell roll(R->L).

For more look in 'Butterfly barell roll' thread.

2) Hyperloop turn(aka +1-1)

There is beutifull vid from Spherculist(Meenik
camera and thread in vid section), just let me
know and I'll find the link.

lightning,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

253 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Richee

1)Butterfly barell roll(R->L).

For more look in 'Butterfly barell roll' thread.

that thread helped me soo much too, i got it R-L and L-R now without the wraps and then just infront of me with wraping it. biggrin

jaeroSILVER Member
your new best enemy
246 posts

Posted:
I learned an airwrap double wrist wrap last night. with my fire poi. where you go into the air wrap and instead of pulling it across to the other side of your body to come out of it, you stick both your wrists in the way and reverse the direction of the poi. right chain hits the right wrist and vis a versa. such a hard trick,,,

I'll get there too late if I shorten my stride, I'll get there too soon if I find me a ride, I'll never move forward if I try to hide this path that I've troden one step at a time.

jaeroSILVER Member
your new best enemy
246 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Mireneye

I just did my first beat of TTN Weave. Very similar to the Butterfly Weave (duh) However even harder to keep it flowing and getting the planes to strighten out.

The key to the move is Beeing able to rotate the torso fluently. And to be able to know all the basic bells and whistles of the TTN move, that beeing forward and reverse TTN.

My problem is that my reverse TTN still sucks. Any pointers on that one... I wanna know more about the hand position.

good job mireneye. keep it up. for the reverse TTN, I'd suggest you point the palms of your hands skyward. but that's all I can tell you that you might not already know. if you want to get the TTN weave really good, the key is to practice the reverse TTN till your fingers go numb, and then learn how to go in every direction that you can. I'll give you a hint there's 8 different turns without leaving a TTN weave. if you get all of them, the TTN is yours. I can't really describe the hand positions to you because there are 8 differen't turns where every hand position is possible. turn to the left from TTN to reverse TTN with the right hand on top then you can also do it with the left hand on top. try to spin your body in circles. then try it in the other direction. try a TTN fountain. as with the TTN weave, it's all practice for the big picture. complete control of the poi when they're spinning opposite directions.

I'll get there too late if I shorten my stride, I'll get there too soon if I find me a ride, I'll never move forward if I try to hide this path that I've troden one step at a time.

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
antispin thread the needle, I think..

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

MiNiMADnewbie
1 post

Posted:
I've been spinning for about 3 months now and have found this website to be most helpfull. whilst learning 5 bt forward and reverse, moves that I thought were difficult, the tips and direction given by these forums got me through. However, the move that frustrated me the most was the butterweave. I couldn't find too much info on it and what I wanted most was a video because I find this the best way for me to learn new moves. I just nailed it though! and its made me the happiest poier in the world! took me longest out of all the moves i know to learn, but gave me the most satisfaction. V. pleased. if anyone wants to see i've put vid on myspace - https://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=77008535
woot

Sun_Puppymember
31 posts

Posted:
I'm a newbie too.

I managed to nail TTN for the first time last night. What I was actually trying to do was a low btb alternate butterfly, but I kept hitting myself, so I thought I'd try TTN instead and it worked !
EDITED_BY: Sun_Puppy (1147539947)

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
weavesmiley Hyperloop double wrist wrap.

weavesmiley weavesmiley Inverted hyperloop double wrist wrap

with snag exit,

lightning,

EDITED_BY: Richee (1147615974)

POI THEO(R)IST

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
second degree inversions, but only in reverse so far

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

keldurnewbie
6 posts

Posted:
just figured out the isolation buzzsaw.

could anyone tell me how to do the antispin weave???

could this be the plastic-age?

253 posts

Posted:
that anti spin weave, i could show you but i dont think i am able to write down how to do it as well as some people on here can, try doing a search. sure you will find some coolio help there.

anyways, i just learnt the spider! dunno how or why, but just seemed to do it and it feels soooooo odd, like my arms just fall into a lock of somesorts! played about with it for a while and got it very atomic. well as atomic as it should be.

:edit: save another post... 7 beat weave, you know the elbow one smile

is it a finger wrap that you can do to make this a 9 beat?
EDITED_BY: nickwidd (1147779887)

GLOWSTiCK_NiNJAnewbie
7 posts

Posted:
I think i just got the 5 beat, but i dont know. i looked at the "how to" and i seem to be doing it... but shouldnt it be harder?

SKiP

DrudwynForget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
632 posts

Posted:
SPiN, it's all about practise, there's no real measure of what is hard and what isn't, its all about your experience.

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
First off 5 beat ain't all that difficult once you get the hang of it but its still a cool move.
Second i think that i may have come up with something interesting
Its an extension on the neck wrap and angel wings

-Start in a reverse butterfly and put your neck in the way of the chains before they reach 12 o'clock..
-Let both chains wrap either side of your neck and at 6 o'clock stand back upright with head tilted back.(Note cross your arms and put your hands on the opposite shoulder).
-The poi should spin to 12 above your face and then 6 behind your back.
-Then at 3 and 9 (respectively) extend both arm upward
as you would with angel wings

I would also recomend using the longest poi that you own or else you may hit yourself in the face a few times more than necesarry

hope you all like it.

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
Also i have a question. Not being a regular to these forums means that i don't always pic up on some of the terms. I guess thats one of the problems of using text to dresribe complex motion.

Is a TTN like a ham string stretch while doing a 3 beat weave under the knee or am i picturing it wrong?

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
the first thing you described is a double neck wrap

as for ttn, check out the free lessons at the top of the page smile

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

DrudwynForget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
632 posts

Posted:
No, a TTN (or Thread The Needle) is a butterfly move, where you change which hand is on top...

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

Is a TTN like a ham string stretch while doing a 3 beat weave under the knee or am i picturing it wrong?

ubblol you ruined my yawn frown

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
a few bits, filling in gaps mainly:

3:2 (poi) ttn - can't work out how to best make this symmetrical

2:1 (poi) parallel same direction reels + turns

3:2 (planar [back wallplane]) opposite direction reels + an anticlockwise turn

mixing extensions into polyrhythm stuff - e.g. parallel side circles at 2:1, then extend an arm whilst maintaining the speed ratio.
easy to do for the slow arm - a complete brainfreeze to do it for the faster one!

switching arm speed to go from 8 to 4 petals in antispin flowers and back

smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

garthySILVER Member
old hand
717 posts

Posted:
 Written by: coleman

2:1 (poi) parallel same direction reels + turns

I'm a bit confused by the "parallel" specification. Surely it depends where you start from? confused

Should it be.....

"2:1 (poi) same direction reels + turns"

???

Hmmm..

Or am I being stupid? redface

"**grumble*spuriouswindmills*grumble**" - Coleman
"if poi was only for girls there wouldnt be many good poi spinners...." - Nx

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
hey garthy wave

you're not being stupid - it does seem that way at first but they are different.

the main difference being that 2:1 (poi) follow-time reels are an absolute bitch to spin! wink

the major difference that changing a same direction reel between follow-time and parallel-time reels makes is the timing of the crossovers.

assuming the crossovers are the same for both hands (top and bottom crossovers) as is the norm with hip reels:

in follow-time reels, the crossovers occur half a beat apart whereas in parallel-time reels, they happen simultaneously.

of course, if you spin one poi with a bottom crossover and the other with a top crossover (a seriously geeky move that simian made me learn after uberpoi last year), you get a same-time crossover in a follow-time reel (or vice versa) devil ubbloco ubblol

but the simple answer to your question is:

spinning 2:1 (poi) same direction reels in parallel-time makes it about a million times easier to recognise what's going on, because the poi cross over to the opposite plane at the same time and when the rhythms hit the common beat, both poi should be at the bottom of their circles.

i hereby invent a special prize for the first person to learn to spin this beast:

2:1 (poi), follow-time, same-direction hip reel with same-time crossovers

umm ubblol

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

jaeroSILVER Member
your new best enemy
246 posts

Posted:
I think I've done it.... that umm... thing. i'm horrible with names however... but, I've done the rest minus the hip reel. but, I'm not sure what a hip reel is... so maybe I have done it. who knows. but as for what everyone was saying about thread the needle, I think it goes for everything you can do with the poi going in opposite directions. where I've found that if you get all the thread the needle weaves down pat... including the double ttn weave, then thread the needle takes on a whole new life and you can do almost everything you can do with a weave. including the corkscrew and the windmill, even fountains and a bunch of random sparatic flower type things... everything except the buzz saw actually... maybe I'll figure that one out someday. when my hands detach from my arms and I join the X-men.

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:

Alternate(Weave) double snake reel.

lightning,

POI THEO(R)IST

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
on day 6 now and have just spent over 2 hours trying to learn the 2b weave going backwards. good god it was a brain roaster.

can now also do overhead butterfly without leaning forwards. tomorrow ill try and get the 3b weave in reverse and butterfly going in reverse.

it seems so much harder spinning poi the other way once you go forward all the time. suppose it just like left handed and left footed though. just train it and itll work right soon enough

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
I finally got straight jackets. Invert and isolate at the same time... A real mind f*** to do but fantastic when you get it.

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

Page: ......