Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Now you got me curious, I want to take a pic of it. About how long should the lens be exposed because that's a lot to capture. Nvm, I just realized, it only feels like forever XD I am currently working on getting my btb butterfly looking solid, I could do btb thread the needle almost immediately, but the catch is! I can't get past more than a few beats, I've gotten up to about 5 or 6. And then I want bth thread the needle, this is just because just learning teaches you to greatly improve your planes making it look tighter and giving it that nice look of it bouncing up and down.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

Derek_FaughnDIAMOND Member
DerekJF85
101 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroitNow you got me curious, I want to take a pic of it. About how long should the lens be exposed because that's a lot to capture. Nvm, I just realized, it only feels like forever XD I am currently working on getting my btb butterfly looking solid, I could do btb thread the needle almost immediately, but the catch is! I can't get past more than a few beats, I've gotten up to about 5 or 6. And then I want bth thread the needle, this is just because just learning teaches you to greatly improve your planes making it look tighter and giving it that nice look of it bouncing up and down.

Fo Show. Btw it capture more of the move with LEDs then it does with fire.

"Dream as you will live forever, and live as you will die today"
James Dean

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Gone back to some basics I neglected, finally got split time btb butterfly. Just sort of ignored it, still not sure why I decided to learn it, but what they hey....

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
I just learned the wall plane in spin butterfly flower and the angel wings as well! *proud of self* grin

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

DekanSILVER Member
stranger
8 posts

Posted:
WOOT ME!

5 beat forward weave is now mine!!!

TeamoGOLD Member
Almost again
124 posts

Posted:
Yussss! Butterfly crosser, you belong to ME now! MWAHAHAHA!

Dannyspinstranger
1 post

Posted:
hi guys, I'm new to this. sounds like you guys are loving learning some new tricks. Me too. I've just been checking out some of the lesson videos on this site and didn't realise quite how much there is to learn!
Actually I was wondering if anyone knows where in London the workshop is. I know it used to be at Spitalfield market on a Tuesday night but I heard it has moved to The Rag Factory. Does anyone know if this still happens as I'm thinking of going next week.

Thanks, Dan

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
@ Dannyspin - you might have more luck with either the Events and Gatherings section or the Meetings section, both in the International Section near the bottom of the page (I'm in Newcastle NSW, no idea wrt London meets)

brenonfire413SILVER Member
Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
ONE HANDED BUTTERFLY FTW!!! =D

"Are you sure it's safe to drink bleach?"
"Yes, bleach is 90% water, we are 90% water, therefore: we are bleach."
-Nathan Explosion, Metalocalypse

Paddington BearSILVER Member
118 posts

Posted:
ok, got my first poi for christmass. got the forwards weave and the forwards butterfly nailed now. still working on the backwards weave and reverse butterfly smile.

fire is alive. it lives and breathes. it consumes and destroys. but we control it and live with it, we are fire dancers

118 posts

Posted:
1 and 2 handed tuck turn are now nailed smile
just need some polishing
oh and the giant butterfly

fire is alive. it lives and breathes. it consumes and destroys. but we control it and live with it, we are fire dancers

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Whoohoo!

118 posts

Posted:
got one handed butterfly and the backwards weave tonight smile
also made a pair of sock poi which are abit more forgiving and less likely to tangle. oh and the outwards butterfly smile

Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
Good job! Isn't the one handed butterfly so much fun? tongue2

I just discovered, and I don't know the name of this trick, a butterfly turn maybe? Anyways you do the butterfly in one direction, when the poi swing outwards it allows you to pivot 180 and switch to the reverse. This also seems to work one handed. Having lots of fun with it!

freeskierpjstranger
14 posts

Posted:
Finally got a 3 beat weave!!! Oh my god I've literally spent easily 15 hours just trying to do it and it always either was a 2 beat or got tangled but something just clicked this morning and I can't do it wrong (I can't do it well either but hey that's what practice is for laugh3 )

Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
Fifteen hours? Thank god, I'm not the only person that spent forever on that trick! tongue2 It's a really fun trick once you nail it and after that I find it to be kind of meditative because you can just keep going and rolling your arms back and forth! Now have fun with the reverse...

freeskierpjstranger
14 posts

Posted:
Yea literally it's been about two weeks since I started and every day I've spent about an hour if not a little more working on just 3 beats simply because I couldn't get them and it was frustrating me (I tend to have some perfectionist tendencies smile but now that that's done it's on to perfecting it along with doing some windmills/butterflies because I still can't even start to wrap my head around reverse weaves laugh3

2,280 posts

Posted:
Hey, the three beat weave took me three days tongue2

I was the most uncoordinated man ever before poi laugh3

And brenon, I think what you are talking about is my favorite named move. The Pacman Twist grin

Seaspraystranger by the day
924 posts

Posted:
Reverse 3-beat weave can be easy to learn. If you turn to face the other direction while weaving, the poi kinda naturally go into reverse weave

And yeah, it took me forever to work out 3-beat weave and more than a few ... unfortunate misses to the groin.. took me actually seeing someone do the trick in person to get it

Just a dancer in the dark

Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
SoD, you mean the butterfly twist thingie? Cool I didn't know the name, thanks!
Now I'm having that level of frustration on the btb 3 beat. I've been trying a little bit every time I spin and still haven't had much progress. So far I've gotten really good at smacking the back of my calves or right in the back of my neck, but I think that's a different trick. Speaking of I'll give that another shot here in a few...
EDITED_BY: brenonfire413 (1265774212)

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
I got a lot of stuff down pretty fast, but the btb weave (and most other btb things) I'm still terrible at--and I started being able to do it like 3 months ago. It's really annoying, and I know skilled spinners who took almost a year to figure it out, so you wouldn't be alone.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

KittehRaverSILVER Member
=^,-,^=
35 posts

Posted:
Learned Reverse 2 beat weave by accident haha. Learning 5 beat forward weave and btb 3 beat weave right now. Also learned oth butterfly switching from front to back.

I'm the resident Vampyre Kitteh!
NYAH!

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
I never actually learned 2beat weaves.

2,280 posts

Posted:
I think you have a goal there lol

2,280 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: brenonfire413SoD, you mean the butterfly twist thingie? Cool I didn't know the name, thanks!
Now I'm having that level of frustration on the btb 3 beat. I've been trying a little bit every time I spin and still haven't had much progress. So far I've gotten really good at smacking the back of my calves or right in the back of my neck, but I think that's a different trick. Speaking of I'll give that another shot here in a few...
It took me like a month to get btb 3 beat down. Plenty of bruises on my legs to go with it. Then waistwraps took me about another month after first practicing it to get that, and even then I couldn't continuously do it. But now btb is just as coordinated as in front of me grin

And after that, you get to get the frustration and ultimate satisfaction of learning under the legs, which I'm still working a little at a time on doing that all in reverse under my legs.

And the butterfly twisty thingy? Yes that's the Pacman Twist, I love that name grin I want to see it don with fire snakes, then it would actually look like Pacman laugh3

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: astonI never actually learned 2beat weaves.

Nor did I, at first. I sorta went back and learned them later, though I can't say it's paid off for much. Though Nick Woolsey thinks highly of them for some reason, so I'll trust that they'll come in handy some day.
EDITED_BY: Sister Eleven (1265818272)
EDIT_REASON: Fixing silly wording

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroit
It took me like a month to get btb 3 beat down. Plenty of bruises on my legs to go with it. Then waistwraps took me about another month after first practicing it to get that, and even then I couldn't continuously do it. But now btb is just as coordinated as in front of me grin

And after that, you get to get the frustration and ultimate satisfaction of learning under the legs, which I'm still working a little at a time on doing that all in reverse under my legs.

And the butterfly twisty thingy? Yes that's the Pacman Twist, I love that name grin I want to see it don with fire snakes, then it would actually look like Pacman laugh3

Waistwraps, meltdowns, etc. are the ultimate goal. I'll give it some more practice tody.

I've been working on my spiral wrap a lot and that's coming out better!

2,280 posts

Posted:
Meltdowns are a bit of a mindtwister as I found them to be.

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
I can do them. Just never bothered learning them. Just found I could do them all one day when teaching someone a three beat.

Two beats are fun for flow, since there are few limits to where you can put them. Also, you can seperate them nicely with one on one side of you body and the other doing something arb.

2,280 posts

Posted:
I'm actually working on doing a hyperloop while in an uta crosser. I can sometimes do it.