Page:
Gabimember
3 posts

Posted:
So this afternoon I was playing outside and started experimenting with throwing my poi in the air. It was quite difficult at first but eventually i was able to throw one poi at a time over my head doing 1/2 a revolution and then a full one quite confortably. My only problem is that my handles are made of leather which made catching them extremely frustrating, most of the time I had to catch them at the end of my chains. I'm still pretty new to all this stuff and was just wondering if any of you toss fire poi,. Also looking for suggestions on how to make my handles easier to catch. Thanks everyonegabi

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
my friend has does some crazy tosses with fire. Under the arm, behind the back etc.You're probably just going to have to change your straps. Or just catch it by the chain and somehow get your fingers back in the straps with out ruining your flow.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Perhaps he'll chime in himself, but one of the participants on this board, Bassman, has made fire-poi with tennis balls as handles. I've seen him do some interesting release moves with these. He comes to poi from juggling, so it's not much surprise.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Bassmanmember
95 posts

Posted:
As Adam was saying, I use tennis balls wrapped in electrical tape as handles when I'm doing fire poi. I think balls as handles are definitely the way to go if you want to do a lot of tossing. I generally don't use straps. As a juggler the thought of having my hands strapped in just seems wrong frown

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
That actually gives me an idea...glowsticks on both ends of the poi... do some tossing catch on any end and start spinning again... may open up new moves... hmmm, crazy.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Hi Gabi,Glad you are interested in that. I started a thread about it a while ago called "throwing poiz in the air" (yeah... that is how rich and precise my english vocabulary is wink )I am working on this a little now and here are a few basic but nice ones :From the forward butterfly, throw for example the right poi and make a 45° body turn to your right, catch it and continue with a weave for example. NB: a. catching usually changes direction of spinb. Did it with fire this week end finally in front of friends who told me I have to work on a double revolution in the air so that the poi goes higher because all in all they say it does not look that impressive when doing only one revolution in the air.AN other one is inspired by club juggling(many things are inspired by club swinging/juggling... ask Bassman wink ) When you do a low turn in split time, release one of the poi behind your back and catch it once you have completed your half turn . (am I any clear ???).I am dreaming of and actually working on the following one : butterfly => throwing both poi in the air sort of on your sides => catching and continuing into a reverse butterfly...Bassmann, how do those fire poi/tennis ball look ? I find the leather straps really Ok though (or is it because I've just gotten used to juggling and catching them ? ) It is impossible to catch the poi directly with both fingers directly back in the loops (if you can do it I'll offer you some nice glass of wine, promise wink ) I stick my finger in the ring of metal connecting the loops to the chains and it is all right to spin like that for a while at least.Keep us posted and tell us how things are doingShine onCassandra[This message has been edited by cassandra (edited 21 August 2001).]

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Gabimember
3 posts

Posted:
Thanks everyone for their imput... never thought of using tennis balls. Though I think I'm going to try to get used to those handles. The flow is improving but still far from how I'd like it to look, even tried a few double rotations... as for those amazing butterfly moves etc., I think I'll be dreaming about them for some time. (wish I could figure out these message icons.. wanted to be cute and send you some smilies)Keep Well-gabi

Bassmanmember
95 posts

Posted:
Cassandra/gabi -- I think my homemade fire poi look pretty nice. Being that I have never tried throwing poi with straps (I should try it), I can only assume that they are harder to catch than tennis balls, but if you are really used to using straps, switching to tennis balls is a big change and you might not like how it feels.The biggest advantage to having tennis ball handles on my non-fire poi is that I can catch them on either end which opens up a lot of new moves, and as some of my friends showed me at the IJA juggling festival a couple weeks back, you can grab the poi in the middle of the chain an spin them like a batton.phunky -- I like the glowsticks on both ends idea. I guess that would be very similar to my tennis ball poi. If you do it let me know if you come up with any cool moves.

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
bassman/phunky, i use glowsticks as handles all the time and i have some pretty good switch tricks that i like to do. i have two diff. colors on one string so that when i switch, ther is a new color spinning the big circles. the first switch is this, just do the weave and then wrap one of the poi on the opposit arm and grab the other end when it comes aroud, sometimes you will just grab string, but if you pull tight real quick on the original handle and let the string run through the hand eventually you will be grabbin the other glowstick. the other one is from the BTB weave, wrap it there and do the switch. the same concept can be aplied to any wrap ie. neck, leg, thigh, body. anything you can imagine. laters all

anyone got a light?

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
one thing my friend and i used to do is stand about 10 feet from each other, facing opposite directions like P d (turn both of those letters 90 degrees to the right for an example), then we would do the corckscrew and both let go of the right poi and then the other one catches it, takes a lot of practice to get right. but very crowd pleasing.

anyone got a light?

4,224 posts

Posted:
Pozee, I LOVE the idea of glowstix on both sides.. cooooooool smileBassmann, do u also have tennis balls as handles on your Fire poi ?Shine oncassandra

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
In response to adamrice's sly remark about Phunky's friend "chiming in himself"... In all honesty I read the things you guys post and do not have anything to say. In general most of the posts on here seem either redundant or irrelevant. Also I get a chuckle out of the attempted explaination of moves that I see. However, I admit that quite often I would like to post moves but just cannot put it into words.One thing that I want to make absolutly clear is that I am not mocking anyone and I am definatly not mocking this board. I think that this message board is a good thing and I have alot of respect for the dedication and time that is put in by all, especially our illustrious moderators. To be able to sit and read through all of these posts and then respond to them is quite an admirable thing. In future I will try to add my two cents where I can and hope that you all keep it up.Let the Flaming begin.Mark

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Thanks for your input Mark.As far as throwing poi in the air, I have one word of advice...mark your handle or tennis ball or cat or whatever you use on the catch end with something that can be seen in the dark. During the day when I mess up it is all my fault but I messed up a few of these things in my time simply because I could not see the handle at night to catch it. I have since used a small glowsticks just under than handle so that there is fire on one end and glowstick on the other. It looks neat, I am told, adds and extra element to that spin and mark where I can catch it.Also, I have to add, I think your friends might be too desensitized to spinning and juggling Cassandra, cause yer just too damn good. smile Most people I think will find just the release and catch of a flamey, wobbly chain to be impressive, and done fluidly (ShawnF has some great releases that were very graceful) it looks amazing. ------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

4,224 posts

Posted:
Pele smile you made me laugh !!! Seriously, when they told me it looked "so, so" I was frown but now I just realized that it was complete darkness and all they could actually really see was the fire ball of the poi, but maybe seeing more of the body moves AND the chain looks better ? or maybe I just have to improve... Love the idea of shiny thing on the handle cause I burnt my hand a bit catching the poi a bit too close to the fire once... yet I am sure that some jugglers would say that you don't have to see the poi when you throw it, you should feel it... but I am far from having reached that stage.Mark, I too sometimes just have to print the moves descriptions and bring it home to desperately try to understand it It sometimes ends like me, alone bursting out laughing cause I just CANNOT do what seems to be written. I thought it was cause I am french, but I now know that whatever the language it is hard to master it enough to give and understand clear explanation of a body movement, even in my mother tongue. I am still happy that people try to post there and happen to learn a lot through this section.Shine onCassandra

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
throwing poi in the air is very easy with a little pracite....begin using just one poi in your fav hand in reverse style...at slow speed maybe between one and two spins per second throw when poi is just past the bottom of swing going up...the handle is the most important consideration hence the trick is how the handle spins around the poi...to "get" this expriement with different amounts of "wrist flick"...under and over wrist flicking power should be tried to find the desired power quicker...power used is different for all poi because of different handle and poi weights...once you acheive success with your fav hand begin with the other which may take alittle longer to perfectas cass mentioned in an earlier post the poi change direction from reverse to foward and v/v after you play around more you'll be able to keep poi going the same way "its alittle harder but"i reason its better just to play around with air throwing in your own style but everything is possible don't limit yourself but start simple get a little success behind you before trying weave throws it ensures your motivation doesn't go flying as well.

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
double glowsticks are great - they make 5 beats a lot more comfortable too, because you dont need to stretch as far to get the clearance as the sticks act as handles. The handles are a great way to use up your useless red sticks! :PPerhaps one could look up some nunchuck moves... because that's basically what they become! [image]https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif">------------------[/image] - William ShakespeareCheck out my Online Gallery!ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

laZyBRONZE Member
94 posts

Posted:
Oh migod! Behind the back throws. Coool! Gotta go try now.....

as laZy as .....

Face_NLPLATINUM Member
addict
513 posts

Posted:
Heyhey,

In rave world the double glowstick thing is not uncommon. Juggling with a twist calls them glowstick twisters or something and has some tips on making the thingies, and they used to have vids, but my browser can't find them... Ow, and here is A guy just playing a bit with them , but that looks not to good... He should watch more Bruce Lee movies, Enter the Dragon has some cute Nunchaku stuff in it (yeah, another head-hurting activity !!!)

|| "Is True Mastery of the Elements But a Dream?" ||

laZyBRONZE Member
94 posts

Posted:
Kay so I was looking through the post and I thought I would tell you how I catch my poi.

First, a lot of people I have seen throwing their poi do it from a forwards spin, this mean releasing it behind you. This will mean that catching is simple.

But I throw mine from a reverse spin. Not only does it make it easier but some people seem to think that it looks better.

To the catch.
Once thrown the poi will spin once in an arc above you the chain should land in you hand but the poi will want to carry on rotating inn reverse. this can cause serious problems when catching with the arm out stretched in front of you.
What I do.
Put your throwing hand up like an indan in a "How" position. Now bend your froearm back a little. catch the poi. Whip your hand around in a reverse circle and carry on. This is the smoothest catch I have come up with.

Thing I do with my throws.
reverse weave, throw, reverse weave.

reverse weave, throw, forward weave. (explained in a mo).

forward weave, upper arm wrap (explained in a mo),throw,reverse weave.

reverse weave, throw, 180, froward weave. (again explained in a mo)

First off I have mastered only throwing one poi (at the mo)

reverse weave, throw, froward weave.

1. Do the reverse weave (duh)
2. throw (duh)
3. Catch (my way)
4. These two movements are described seperatley but must be done in unison.

Upon catching the poi, during the sweeping the poi back and around stick the sole of your foot in the way, at the bottom of the poi's path (right hand, right poi, right foot) If done correctly the poi will bounce back round the way it has come and will now be in a forward swing.

The other move, with the other poi, when the poi is at vertical sweep your poi and your arm out so now the poi should now swing once in the wall plane behind you now swing the poi back into a side plane swinging forwards. (this is really hard to explain, just mess about with it, essentially just make sure that the poi is swung in such a way that it ends with it swinging forwards in the side plane(you coupld use a wrap,like the upper arm wrap (explained in a mo))). My way can either be done slowly while the other poi is in the air or fast once the other poi is caught.)

5. Forward weave.

UPPER ARM WRAP.

practise this from a forward swing. The idea is to swing you poi over your upper arms then hitting them back around, therefore unwrapping them and ending the wrap in a reverse swing.

The way to do this is to swing slow and when you want to do the wrap go into a position where your upper arms are horizontal and your forearms are hanging down loose (vertical) see crappy picture.
|-0-| |= forearms -= upper arms 0=head.

bne dyour wrists slightly inwards (towards your body) your poi should swing over and onto you upper arms now hit them back with your hands.
Got it Gooooood.

Throwing you poi and spinning.
1. throw
2. spin
3. catch
Not very help full really, but if you can spin from forward weave to reverse weave then you should find this no problem. [TECHNICAL BIT- the reason why it's easy is because the poi is still spinning the same way that it started the reason why it seems to be going in reverse is because you have turned.]

Ok long winded but hey I was bored
Final words.
Reverse spinning, it's the way forward!

laZy

as laZy as .....

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Hmmmm...poi can be thrown and caught very easily from spinning in either direction, and in any move really. Takes time and practice. They take on different appeals though. From behind means the poi aim directly at an audience which opens up loads to joke about with them. Releasing at apexes in front wall plane really extends things and changes them up a bit. Releases in weaves actually gives the appearance of juggling, which is impressive to people close enough to see.
Wrapping around any body part is impressive enough. A wrap-release never fails to give applause as long as it is displayed from the correct direction.

The key is completely in the timing of when to let go. Too soon and it goes flat. Too late and it goes high.
Simulatneous throws are awesomely fun.

It is something I work alot on just because I really like watching the poi kind of hover in the air. Comet poi do this kind of slow-mo hang time that is really pretty. And it gets me just frustrated enough to keep going! One word of warning about wrap-releasing with any of the poi with the fishing swivels on them, they scratch on the way through so careful!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

laZyBRONZE Member
94 posts

Posted:
yeah, just messing about today, double throws, coooooooooooool, I can't seem t get them to stay together but it's coming. I also got throwing them from a forwards spin it's surprisingly easy compared to what I was doing, typical me, always earning the hard way. Sudden idea. Ever tried one spinning forward one spinning reverse and throwing both up together.
I tried behind the back. I can catch it one in ten, little practise needed.
Another Vision. Tried throwing horizontally
Gonna try tonight.
Wish me luck.

laZy

as laZy as .....

laZyBRONZE Member
94 posts

Posted:
It works. IT ACTUALLY WORKS!!!!!!!
I can now throw my poi horizontally spinning like a UFO. So cool.
I was so amazed that it actually worked my brain started doing backflips
I can do it from a reverse cross over, I will have to try throwing both at the same time.
Anyway i'm going to go brag to my brother. He can't do it yet, heh heh.
I'm gonna be on a high for a week!!!!

laZy

as laZy as .....

the_sealmember
51 posts

Posted:
I've got a few throws in my repetoire... mostly borrowed from arsn!

My new favourite is coming from behind the leg, release under the leg, catch, release in front of the leg and catch. with each release going under the leg, nice little combo.

UFO throws! What an excellent idea - I will be trying that tonight

By embodying a nolstalgia for the past in new materials we retard an acceptance of the present and by extension, the future, because the future is in the present
-Guerilla Television, 1971

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
I've been playing around with 'releases' for a time and have finnally got round to uploading some video of an 'outwards 360 release'

I'd love some feedback, I'm happy to upload more movies if that's what people want.

Spherculism

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
I throw my fire poi around too, the fire isn't a problem, but i find it hard to see the catch. Also, I don't find it all that good for performance, 'cos nobody can see what's going on.

But as long as you are only spinning for yourself - it's a very rewarding experience.

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by PoiPoiPoi
Also, I don't find it all that good for performance, 'cos nobody can see what's going on.
I have to disagree with this.
I start off with quite a few throws at the begining of a burn, and I belive the crowd sees every throw I do, from under the arm throws with stalls, to behind the back and even backwards over the shoulders. The crowd sees every move you make... they just may not see how much tech. goes into the move in question.

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
I have no problem with throwing fire, but I prefer not to spin fire at all. I mean I love it, the raw energy involved is fantastic. I just meet a lot of people for whom the FIRE is everything. I prefer to use poi which are in no way spectacular on their own. That way, people SEE what you do.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
humm.

theres lots of scope in throws, and i entirly dissagree with the comment that you cant see what they are on fire, maybe you cant see them as a throw/catch trick, but the do break up the pattern of what ever you are doing and if peaple assume that they are attached to the end of your arms they are gonna go "holy ****" when thaty see one poi sail over the other where it blatently shouldent go.

Im getting into ove the shoulder tosses at the mo, wanna get them runing continious to opposite hands.

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
[Nx?] - I'll upload you a video this weekend, i love those over shoulder throws.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

LPHmember
20 posts

Posted:
hey all .there's athing i do ,quite easy and i'm told it looks good. sometimes when i throw ,i " forget" to catch .so i'm left with 1 poi in my hand ,and the other 1 on the floor .that's when i throw the 1 in my hand in the air (sometimes for 1 revolution,sometimes for 2),i bend over pick up the 1 on the floor,and then i catch the 1 in the air .and if u really wanna show off ,you grab the 1 in the air ,with your foot.
peace

Page: