AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
recently i was on fire and feeling cocky i decided to try a new move.... the result was a rather lucky escape as the staff almost hit me in the eye, but put a reasnable gash in my eyebrow. what i tried to do was a was spinning behind my back and thought that i could throw it with my right hand out over my shoulder and catch it at the front with my left hand.i now have the scar over my left eye and wish to be able to pull this move off.... but i am slightly put off by the fact that since then every time i have had my staff out i have injured myself with it, (that aint a good sign)anyway i have attempted this with my juggling clubs and it works great but i am slightly dubious about trying again with the staff for fear of creating more holes.does anyone have any suggestions on how to pull this move off, it may be that my staff is too long to peform it. or can anyone do this? if so PLEASE tell. as i am absoultly dying to do it but am shit scared to try it out again..!thanks - angus

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
sorry to hear about your accident angus..but at least it was for a good cause..i crcked myself below my right eye with a glowstick at a party in my second month of spinning. It hurt like a mofo. I was (obviously) in the dark...when i stopped, people clapped and i went to take a leak...when i hit the light, i had a one inch gash under my eye, and had blood running down my check and onto my shirt.(homer voice) DOh!!I dont spin a staff. Well sort of.. I can use a bow staff in my martial arts. So i know some of the mechanics.My first suggestion would be..Get a piece of pcp pipe and wrap about 7 inches of the ends with that foam insulating stuff. Thats how we practice in class. You can find the pipe comparible to the weightof the staff, and still be around the same diameter.Or..i know it sounds silly, but wear some head gear. Its cheap at the sporting goods store. Just do this where no one can see you.Mechanically, it just sounds like you didnt get the staff completely over your head.Staffs are dangerous...please be carefullSuper'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
wow dude, I've been trying that move for a while too, but I stopped, cuz I had a close shave...exactly like what happened to you - but I ducked in time.I reckon the secret is to get the staff to roll over your shoulder, rather than throwing it up so that its spinning in the air close to your head - I think thats rather dangerous smileThe other alternative is to throw it higher...get the spinning hard bits away from your head smileJosh

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
hey Sups,I also got my initial training in firestaff twirling from my martial arts classes, but I'm finding that the more time I'm spending twirling a fire staff, the less my style is akin to an efficent Jo (short staff) fighting posture / style.I had a funny incident while teaching a bunch of higher ranks twirling stuff...After moving quickly through the basic fighting postures / moves / combos, I began to teach them techniques I'd perfected through fire staff twirling..and I was finding it increasingly difficult to justify what I was teaching them in any kind of combative methodology...ie I was teaching them how to firedance, in a martial arts class, without realising it! smilefiredancing technique is great for flourishes, at the end of a demonstration tho smileJosh

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
yep same here i tried once more and almost hit myself. but i have just seen xadia do a throw that i can study at 17s into this vid https://www.homeofpoi.com/mpg/xaeda.mpg,
i'l try thatthanks

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
i feel that [josh]. you cant resist throwing a couple extra twirls in there, because they look so damn good. practicality be damned!! hee hee grinWe have a Bow defense where you catch the staff coming at you (bat swing). You drive the butt back into their ribs, tilt it straight up into their jaw, take the butt up over their head and walk around them to the left driving the opponants head to the floor with the staff. then finish with a strike.I did thisin class once, and a f beathelicopter spin over my head before the strike. it felt so natural, and instinctive. it was also painful, for i had to duckwalk around the room with my hands on my head for the rest of the class (30 minutes). I did do it in front of a bunch of Gups (under black belt), and me bieng a Dan, i should have known better. But after class, my instructor said he liked it, it just wasnt appropriate at the time. hee hee..Super'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
LOL smileyup - I know *exactly* what you mean. I put way too many spins into my Jo self-defence work now...ppl tell me I've been watching too much power rangers smileJosh

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
For practice, you can do some stuff. As I see it, there are two parts of my body that I consider indespensible.1) My eyes2) My nutsEverything else is negotiable grinFor the eyes, go to a hardware store and get yourself some safety glasses, or if you are practicing outside during the day, wear some sturdy sunglasses (the black rubberized plastic type). As far as safety glasses are concerned, there are even some cool-looking ones that you might even be able to wear at a rave if you want to practice new moves there.For the nuts...wear an athletic supporter with a cup. I learned this lesson the hard way. The second time I hit myself there (this time wearing a supporter) there was just a "thunk" and no pain. If you have hair (I keep my hair buzzed), wear a cap to keep it from catching while lit. If you have long hair, get it in a very tight braid or, better yet, a bun. As a medical student, I have seen some burn victims and it is not something that you want to do to yourself.My rule is that I will never do a move lit until I can do it 50 times in a row unlit without making a mistake. Finally, remember that if you do catch on fire, STOP, DROP, and ROLL!-------------------MikeCertified Mad Doctor (in training)

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura