FeniXTranzmember
17 posts

Posted:
okay ive been using showlaces and glowsticks for a while now the round kinds. i saw a video the other day and he was using some sorta thin string which looked alot easier to swing and manuever any one use any type of different strings and such, other then shoelaces?........(im not using "poi") btw

tcwmember
6 posts

Posted:
i use nylon stringsworks very well

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
i have a set of nylon strings also that i have been practicing with...they spin much faster, and are easier on the fingers. I ten to hit myself more with these those, but they are worth looking into, cause they might be better for you.But they tend to travel outside of their intended path too easily. mybe they are a little too thin. So i stick with 54" soft white laces (Walmart). i like white becuae when you spin in a blacklight, it looks like two gigantic discs..Super'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
Shoe laces are alright! You might want to try tennise balls instead of old glow sticks at the ends. They tend to bounce insted of whack smile You can also get some soft tube Webbing, and sow a loop to put your fingers into.(They don't chaff as much) Happy Spinning,SkiChristian

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

TaiGuymember
127 posts

Posted:
I use gl0wstix mostly, and i use *braided* mason twine which you can find at Lowe's or your nearest hardware store. It's like $3 [US] for a huge 500ft reel, and i've been using the same two strings for at least 2 months. Get the "braided" stuff, not the twisted type, since braided doesn't "un-twist" and last a whole lot longer. It's relatively rough on the hands and fingers but i'm used to it now. Just tie a slip not to go around 4 fingers and then wrap 2-3 loops around your index and middle finger [provide better control in my opinion]. Well hope that helps NE. ------------------"Happiness is not a destination, but a method for life"- Burton Hills

The reason communism doesn't work is because people like to own stuff

spinnmasternatemember
2 posts

Posted:
How about chains??? Or for me fishing swivels, and re-inforced stainless steel rings, that can be purchased at any fishing isle for about .89 cents a package about two dollars in all and you can always switch glowsticks with the clip of a ring. This will never break and for the more agressive glowsticker (like me) I can't have anything break on my ass... Try it I love it!! smile

Girl From Marsmember
168 posts

Posted:
i use an old jump rope that i cut in half. it's not a rope one though, it's one of those kinda rubber/stretchy/nylon/something,i'm not sure exacly what it is. but my strings glow in the black lite and look sweet with the glowsticks. i learned with them and dont' like using anything else. most people hate using mine so maybe this isnt' the thing for you smile . Happy Twirling smile------------------the music feeds my soul that glows and grows with every spin i take.

the music feeds my soul that glows and grows with every spin i take.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Once I was very bored at the beach and started roping with seaweed. I just took off the leaf things and meassured them to be the same, hehe.

Mr SockGOLD Member
94 posts

Posted:
Round shoestrings are nice, the pair i use i set up by tying a bowline knot in one end and tying a clip to the other. The clip lets me change glowsticks without retying every time, which is nice, and the loops on the ends let me switch to one-handed moves easier than just straight strings. If you're lookin to use somethin other than strings, you could try gimp (that plastic string kids use to make keychains, bracelets, and other crafts) My friend uses it all the time with great success, and some of the colors look really tight under UV. Good luck to you.

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted - Martin Luther King Jr.

OE40luvrmember

Posted:
I just use round bootlaces and put loops at both ends for the length I want... that'll give you something to hold onto, and you'll be able to attach glowsticks (or anything else) multiple times once they run out. Just make sure the strings are not plastic coated or you will have some bloody fingers after a long night of spinning.