JosetteBRONZE Member
23 posts

Posted:
I believe that if I am to be a true poi fire spinner, I need to learn the language. Could anybody out there give a few pointers and history on your New Zealand culture? Is poi part of growing up in New Zealand?

Extremely excited to learn more....

Spinning in an imaginery box.

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
You dont need to learn the language to be a true spinner hunny... You just have to have the hunger to learn and the dedication to make it happen...
Poi AND staff are part of growing up in NZ, although the staff is called the taiaha and is spun in a very different manner.
Poi is generally used during Waiata a Ringa (dancing with hands) and is a preformance art and is not as showy as our form of poi but is also lovely to watch, as it all in unision and all the girls in the kapahaka (maori preformance group) keep the beat with their feet... loads of hip swinging and the like...
Girls are the only ones that use Poi... boys are the only ones that use the taiaha.The taiaha is used during a maori welcome on to the ground of the meeting house in a challanging way...
I learnt Poi at the age of five years old and have expanded on that as I grew. I knew the very basics of poi and that has helped me grow with the art... If you have any questions dont hesitate to ask me Ill see what I can do to help you out e hoa (my friend)

maori web page

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
It's easy to speak East Island Australian: just substitute an "uh" sound for every vowel sound, as in "fruhsh fuhsh" for fresh fish. Get a New Zealander to say "fifty six ball point pens" for a laugh.

(ducks, hides and cringes)

Sorry guys.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
"East Island Australian"
Just affix 'eh' on to the end of every sentence. It took me ages to stop doing that and I was only there for a couple of months!

Seriously, it's what you call poi is not what the Maoris call poi.

Maori poi are used as tools for a dance and accompanying song which tells a story and from what I've seen the poi moves themselves tend to be smaller set of moves than we do, and they are uised represent features of a story.

Nobody really knows the specifics of how our style of poi started - it was probably concurrent evolution with several different origins merging over times. I wrote this post whilst in NZ.

So, browse around this site for information, and do searches about Maori poi, India club swinging and glow-sticking. And then fly out to where so many people first pick up poi - Thailand. And go via NZ while you're at it. It's a fine excuse for a holiday!

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
"east island australian"

You'll all be eating your words when we win the ruggers on saturday

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

zwitterionSILVER Member
52 posts

Posted:
eh

joe_sixstepsmULti-torTOISe
310 posts
Location: Kent currently, Cornwall soon, New Zealand eventua...

Posted:
No wukkin furries mate, eh?

If you really want to join the extensive community of plastic maoris on this site Josette, the key phrases are:

Kia ora: hello
Kia ora koe: wishing you health
Kia koa koe: wishing you joy
Ka auè ràtau i te riri i te hòneatanga o ta ràtau poaka i a ràtau: the neighbours are howling because their pig has escaped

Just dab those into your posts every which way, and Jonah Lomu's your uncle!

The Confusion Squid has many tentacles

JosetteBRONZE Member
23 posts

Posted:
Thank you soooo much for the input. But one thing I am not getting is the "East Island Australian" thing. Is it in quotations for a reason? Pardon my naivete...it sounds like it is a bit of suttle jab.

Dom and Valura thank you so much for the details. The more I read the more I feel like I should be there with you. If financial planning goes as planned I should be there in year. I promised a friend I would be in Aus around that time. To be among so many fire spinners would be amazing.

It is true what you said about spinning though. It is truly orginated from the individual. There is no set pattern because the motions follow the spirit of the person performing.
Dom I will definatly be checking out Indian Club Swinging (sounds like fun...almost erotic )
I am so excited to be part of this learning experience.

HOP Kia koa koe. Thanks Joe for the teachings. Très apprecié = very appreciated

Wizz-er-pops
206 posts

Posted:
Kiwi word
Bogan = rude boy, car racer

Maori word
Poku = Tummy

Thats about all I can add to this topic.

Poi... it's an obsession.

JosetteBRONZE Member
23 posts

Posted:
Merci beaucoup for the input. Keep em coming...

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
PUKU is tummy
UPUKU is head
TURI is knees
WAI WAI is feet
PAKAHEWI is shoulders

sooooo.... UPUKU, PAKAHEWI, PUKU, TURI, WAI WAI.... is
HEAD, SHOULDERS, TUMMY, KNEES AND TOES, KNEES AND TOES...

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
And Taniwha = Female prime minister

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

the_sealmember
51 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Wizz:
Kiwi word
Bogan = rude boy, car racer

Oh no, no, no!!! Bogan is an Australian word and we're taking it back for all the mullet having, blue singlet and stubbies shorts wearing, Winfield Red smoking, goon bag drinking, old Holden driving, beer gutted men in this country!

By embodying a nolstalgia for the past in new materials we retard an acceptance of the present and by extension, the future, because the future is in the present
-Guerilla Television, 1971

JosetteBRONZE Member
23 posts

Posted:
There seems to be friendly opposition between Australians and New Zealanders. Why is this?

And thanks again for all the language tips. Do Aussie's have their own language also, or is it the same aboriginal based language?

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
i just have one question, cause i've heard this a lot, and i've guessed what it means, but i'd just like some confirmation....

uni? means school or something, yes?

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:

are you being sarcastic? I thought every body in the world besides americans knew "uni" means "university".

Have you been in the states too long, or do they not say that in England?

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
no i was being serious. i assumed it meant university. and i only lived in london for a lil while, never heard that term while i was there. i'm originally from the states.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

woodnymphmember
313 posts

Posted:
i think the first time i heard uni was on neighbours.. it is definetely not an english term unless the influx of aussie and kiwi teachers into uk has started to leave its mark...

Matthew B-MLemon-Aware Devilstick-wielding Operative
605 posts

Posted:
It's left its mark. I hear "uni" quite a lot as a contraction of "University". (also as a contraction of "unicycle", but who cares about those, eh? )

Luv 'n' Lemons
purity :: clarity :: balance