Forums > Social Chat > Irresponsible pet owners

Login/Join to Participate

ViciousVixenmember
103 posts

Posted:
I get so mad sometimes watching Animal Planet, especially those animal cop shows. People can be so ignorant and selfish when it comes to animals, and most of the time, they don't even realize it. People shouldn't have pets if they can't take care of them right.

Why bother having a dog if it stays outside 24/7?
A dog isn't just something that's there when you want to pay attention to it. It's a living being with emotions. I guarantee the dog is absolutely miserable living like that because they're not solitary animals. Give it to someone who will love it and include it in their family activities and home.

Why don't people get their cat (or dog) spayed or neutered?!?!
Do people realize that the only way there would be no more stray/feral cats living on the streets right now is if EVERY man, woman, and child on Earth owned 7 cats? Part of owning a pet is being responsible enough to have it fixed. These people are adding to an already impossible animal population problem by letting their pet have babies or make them. I have no respect for anyone who must advertise more than once that they are giving away free kittens or puppies. If it happened once, you learned your lesson, now get that animal fixed!

FEED YOUR PET!!!
If you can't afford cat or dog food, you shouldn't have the animal. How would you like it if your parents couldn't afford enough food for you so they ate it all and gave you nothing? These animals look up to you like a parent. They're domesticated and can't hunt down enough food in either a rural or urban environment to maintain a healthy weight.

NO CAT OR DOG IS FREE!
And then there's people who take an animal in without thinking about it first. Food and medical expenses add up. You are not doing the animal a favor by taking it in and then giving it back or taking it to the shelter when you realize you can't take care of it or your parents/landlord won't allow it. Like I said before, animals have emotions. It's cruel to love them and leave them like that.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
I hear ya. My mother and baby brother came close to adopting a puppy a few weeks back, and I had to remind them how absolutely abusive they would be (through no malice, mind) to the poor animal. It would be much happier remaining with the shelter than coming into that house. No puppy equals good karma.

E pluribus unum, baby.

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
The weird thing is, if you watch Saint Rolf, or any of those programmes, now matter how much a dog is abused, ignored, kicked around whatever, it will keep on wagging its tail at the smallest hint of kindness. How people can be cruel to such a trusting creature is beyond me.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
My boyfriends family dog Sugi used to be chained up outside all day except for when we went walkies. He was a sweet dog but not quite all there - I think the solitude drove him insane and he got terribly excited when anyone did pay the poor thing any attention. Still better than what happened to one of his childhood dogs. It was given to a friend of his grandfathers who ate it

I would adore to have a pet but it would be utterly selfish as firstly I am out at work all day and secondly, I won't always be here to take care of it.

We have always had dogs at our family home and they are not allowed inside at all. They are farm dogs but very much loved and get heaps of attention. Sadly one of our dogs died and her daughter is on her own for the moment until she has a litter of her own, when one of her puppies will stay with her. Even though Moo is on her own at the moment, she is not missing any absence of affection, and no, she is still not let inside. Dogs were not meant to live in houses but also they were not meant to be chained up outside one.

Truly I think people who don't have the williness to spend time with their pets and look after them do not deserve to own one.

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:
i agree with you vicious vixen on most of them, but you do have to understand it depends entirely on the situation.
-if you have a pet and have the space, having them neutered is fairly harsh, especially if you can keep more pets if they come along (and are willing to do so), or know you can manage to give them away...
-then again, if in the company of another, lots of pets will have loads of fun outside 24/7 (if given appropriate shelter etc).

then again, i agree entirely with your last two points.
awww. I love animals.

Your life is ending one minute at a time...
So live it.

smiley_dup1member
108 posts

Posted:
I agree with the point about having pets neutered.

Not only does it reduce the problem of unwanted litters it is also in the best intrests of the animal. Entire male cats/dogs do tend to wander more and will try to defend a territory. This makes them more prone to being hit by cars, getting into fights, and exposed to more infectious diseases.

For males and females left entire there are markedly increased risks for developing reproductive disorders such as mammary neoplasia (breast cancer) or pyometra or testicular cancer or prostatic hyperplasia.

thats my rant
see ya

I don't like living below the tropic of Capricorn..... and now I seem to be in England...... how did I get here???

ViciousVixenmember
103 posts

Posted:
Another reason why people should help control the animal population.....

In cats, there is FIV - feline immunodeficiency virus - which has a human counterpart in HIV, or human immunodeficiency virus. People who contract HIV can eventually develop AIDS, as can cats infected with FIV.
FIV occurs in about 4 percent of the tame cat population, and while that may seem like a small percentage, it must be noted that there are more than 60 million cats in the United States. According to research at Texas A&M, among feral cats - cats that are raised in the wild - the percentage of FIV doubles to 8 percent, Collisson points out.
"If the cat keeps getting a recurring infection, that might be a sign it has FIV," she says. "And like humans with AIDS, sometimes the cat develops skin lesions, and sometimes it can get neurological problems.
"We know that once a cat develops FIV signs of AIDS, its life span has been shortened. Cats that are FIV positive should be kept indoors away from other cats. The illness varies from cat to cat, but many can live a very long time with the disease."
And like HIV in humans, there is no cure for FIV in cats and no proven vaccine to treat the disease.
"Once FIV infects a cat, the infected cell is in there forever,"she says. "The cat is infected for life because the genetic material of the virus mixes with the infected cells within the host. If those cells divide, the disease is going to spread to the daughter cells.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
heh, why don't we castrate and cut the ovaries out of men&women? Because all indications suggest it leads to a better quality of life as far as health goes.

Now im not advocating *NOT* "fixing" all pets, but I think theres definatly people who don't need to. Cats live perfect happy natural lives on rural farm settings doing what they have been doing since they were a species. Hunting, playing, reproducing and sleeping. They keep their population in a natural balance and things are fine. Ofcourse they aren't really pets but they certainly don't need drastic surgery.

Also how is a puppy not happier in a family then it is in a shelter? You do realize shelters are overloaded with puppies and they are often forced to euthanize them?

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Also my parents and their parents before them have gotten all their pets from animal shelters. A few of them were seriously screwed up from previous owners abuseing/abandoning them but we retrained them in positive ways and they have all been wonderful amazing dogs.

Oh yeah and what makes you think no cat or dog is free? My cat's and dogs go in and out as much as they want, they do almost whatever they want, they have a few hundred acres of woodland to explore. They are so much better off with me then they would be in nature (domestic dogs barely survive in nature, often they form feral packs and due to thousands of years of breeding their survival instincts are so dull they become violent enefficient hunters that very commonly kill prey and only eat part of it or none at all etc...

It's also funny how no one brings up the point of poor breeding. Im personally very sickened by these showdog breeders who are breeding animals with all kinds of health problems that can barely function and their only use is to walk around being shown off by some pretentious rich asshole of an owner. I also have a problem with some of the breeds of dogs that have inherent health flaws like the bulldog that suffers from chronic respritory problems. I really think breeders should discontinue breeding these dogs and let the stock die out.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
oh yeah and some breeds need to be kept outside. You tell me how comfortable a husky is in a warm house. You can bring it in for some socialization and spend a lot of time with it outdoors where it's comfortable. (I have a big problem with people keeping siberian huskies in warm climates without shaving their fur, The fur shaves off easily and the animals don't mind it at all. Aslong as you keep the skin in good condition it's fine, we shaved our newfoundland dog every summer and it never suffered from the heat at all, if on a really terrible day it was so hot the heat started to get to it we brought it to the beach which is what newfoundland dogs live for)

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Astar:
Im personally very sickened by these showdog breeders who are breeding animals with all kinds of health problems that can barely function and their only use is to walk around being shown off by some pretentious rich asshole of an owner. I also have a problem with some of the breeds of dogs that have inherent health flaws like the bulldog that suffers from chronic respritory problems. I really think breeders should discontinue breeding these dogs and let the stock die out.
Here, Here... give me a working dog or mongrel any day! much more intelligent, much more fun to be around.

I'd love a Border Collie or a Collie cross, but I live and work in london and it just wouldn't be fair on the dog. *sigh*

PsyB.

Flipmodiusmember
103 posts

Posted:
i just bought a chi for $450 and i live in a small house but man is he spoiled. one day i will mate him and have lots of chi's running around my house.

some will understand. -buddah

Narr(*) (*) .. for the gnor ;)
2,568 posts

Posted:
i would just like to state that not all breeders are rich selfish bastards. breeders have to abide by certain guidelines and animal welfare just like other pet owners. and a good portion of the animals are very much loved pets!

she who sees from up high smiles

Patrick badger king: *they better hope there's never a jihad on stupidity*

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Sorry Sophie, I'm not saying the breeders are just in it for the money, but the breeds themselves have become so corrupted and stylised that the dog's themselves are unhealthy, which isn't really fair.

I mean Dalmations genetically disposessed to Deafness, Pug's who can barely breathe because their nasal cavity is so compressed and distorted, Chai Pei's (sp?) who can't see because of the rolls of flesh covering their eyes! It's not really fair.

Working breads like Collies (although they have a tendency to be insane if not entertained enough!), St Bernards, Dobermans, Golden Retrievers etc. Tend to be healthier.

I know some of these breads do have health problems as well, but certainly not to the degree of "show" breeds.

I'm not advocating destroying these dogs or anything, I could never do that! But I don't think the breeds should be actively continued. Just let them slowly slip away.

PsyB.

AalatheaGOLD Member
80 posts

Posted:
Overbreeding happens for a lot of reasons, and the effects are not always physical.
A lot of breeds that become popular to own, like golden retrievers, start to have problems because they are over bred.
Maybe certain breeds have dispositions to certain problems right now, but it is for the most part not the breeders of show dogs that are agravating this. Its the people who want to breed popular dogs so they can sell them and don't really care if they get puppies with good dispositions or no health problems.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
what angers me is people that think owning reptiles with no basic knoledge of care for such creaturs can think they are easy pets.
I have kept reptiles, many species and very expensive breads, when i had a very large ammount of time on my hands, people dont realise how time consuming and expensive reptiles can be not only setting up the correct husbandry but the time you have to spend caring for such creaturs.
I hate people that take on green iguana's and decide to get rid of them because they can no longer house them because they got too big and can't handle them any more, no one will sell green iguana's any more and i dont blame them.

There are many pro's and cons to keeping any animal from dogs and cats to 9 foot water monitors to crocodiles, yes my friend has 3 crocs at his house and one at his shop. he is a captive breeder of many species of reptile and i respect him for doing his thing for making sure that the trade no longer has any wild caught animals in the trade.

I read only a few weeks ago that there are more tigers in the state of new york than there are in the wild.

yeah i totally agree whole heartedly that some people just should not own pets, end of!

people should be more educated at the end of the day, pets arn't just some thing that you can ignor, i love animals and i try to educate any one who wants to know about keeping animals, i try and put people off more than any thing.

i could go on forever but i am not going to.

end note: education!

Flipmodiusmember
103 posts

Posted:
pets are a huge responcability lots of dogs are sick because the owner doesn't look far enough back in to the lineage of his/her dog before breeding. my dog is a perfectly healthy long hair chihuahua and when i mate him i will not have much trouble because i know his lineage for 5 generations. the only thing that hold my dawson(chi) from being a show dog is the fact his ears won't straighten but that is not a problem because he doesn't mind and nither do i.

some will understand. -buddah

Sir_Sheepold hand
725 posts

Posted:
I wonder how many people will know this one...?

For a male iguana, a female human who is menstruating will omi the same pheromones as a female iguana in oestrus (ir ready to mate).

Can you imaging how many iguanas are kept out there, every month subjected to this tantilising smell from their female owners/owners friends/visitors.

Poor buggers.

Also, for you herptologists out there, remember it is extremely important for repiltes to be kept under a full-spectrum bulb, aswell as a heat source, to stop them developing problems such as M.B.D. (Metabolic Bone Disease).

Spoiling Christmas for small children since 2003.

2,568 posts

Posted:
great now we smell like female iguana!!! fantastic!

2,568 posts

Posted:
P_bob - oh i got that part of it, i just wanted to point out that not all breeders are evil

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Sir_Sheep:
remember it is extremely important for repiltes to be kept under a full-spectrum bulb, aswell as a heat source, to stop them developing problems such as M.B.D. (Metabolic Bone Disease).
not esencially true to all retiles, only day light creatures, though the split in nocturnal reptiles do not nessesarily [sp?] have to be under full spectrum, rare is it seen that my coastal carpet python is out in the day light being nocturnal creature, though is sat right now next to me under his spot lamp distributing an even 85 degrees and sat on his heat mat, to warm up and destroy his vivarium once again tonight, little bugger.

poor iggies, i did know that one miss sheep, mine was over 6 foot snowt to tail.

mind you my old Rhinoceros Iguana used to be worse around the menstral cycle of a woman.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
This reminds me I was watching a show about a guy in the states somewheres that rescues various kinds of turtles from petshops/chinese resteraunts/rich pet collectors etc...

He had so many horror stories about how people were treating their turtles, he found a turtle that was never documented before and there was no natural history on it, it was rather strange looking. It was in a chinese resteraunt in the fish tank ready to be made into some crappy dish.

Genuinly a cool guy, he put thousands of his own money into the place, plus jumped through hoops to secure some funding from various sources so he could hire some biology students and whatnot to help care after the huge amounts of turtles he has.

Sir_Sheepold hand
725 posts

Posted:
Sorry about that, I was under the impression (from the founder of a reptile sanctuary from Leeds-ish) that all repiltes needed the full spectrum to be able to synthesise vitamin D.

But I could be wrong.

Spoiling Christmas for small children since 2003.