Forums > Social Chat > The OFFICIAL Home of Poi Rollcall

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
With the continuing influx of new people (Big firey welcome to you all!) I guess it makes a lot of sense for us to have an official "getting to know you" type thread. smile Elders and Newbies alike, enter your details here and feel free to use/modify/disregard the format below:Name: flash fire (Sarah)Sex: female (remember, all possible smart responses to this question have already been done!)Age: 23Location: Sydney AustraliaURL: https://wickeffect.cjb.net/Toys:
all fire staff/double staff/double crossesBeen twirling for: about 4 yearsOccupation: corporate lackieHobbies other than obvious: reading, skiing, travelling, doofing, cruising in my Jeep!Favourite Colour: red Most viewed Movie: Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory or The Doors.Favourite Quote/Saying: an ye harm none do as thou wilt.Best twirling related moment in life so far: I will have to think long and hard to answer.So, post away kiddies! and feel free to occasionally bump this thread to keep it at the top.flash------------------"she dances in a ring of fire and throws off the challenge with a shrug"[This message has been edited by flash fire (edited 29 June 2001).]

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

theblackunicornmember
119 posts

Posted:
name: jessesex:maleage:15location: fort worth texassign: virgoTools: poi(1-8 at a time),meteor,staff(single only for the moment), long torch, askrima sticks, fans/wings, finger torches, flaming swords...all my tools are fire only.fire troupe i perform with: Falcon Fyre Warriorsfavorite color: black and bluehobbies other than fire performing: acting, writing, watching movies, listening to music and readingoccupation: fire performer and not-so-good studentmost read books: the wheel of time seriesmost seen movie: the lost boys or the crowHow long i have been doing this: about 5 monthsFavorite memory of fire: the amazing wholeness and peace i feel when the fire is flying around me. that and having the newbie of the troupe look at me and say ''show me how you did that'' oh my god what a frikin ego trip that was lol grinps... any performers in any reasonable distance of fort worth without a place to perform and are looking for one let me know at jokkerfyre@yahoo.comjokker------------------'' not all who wander are lost'' J.R.R. Tolkien'' its better to burn out...then to fade away'' Def Leppard[This message has been edited by theblackunicorn (edited 05 March 2002).]

its to dying in anothers arms and why i had to try it......

luzmember
7 posts

Posted:
name: Jamielocation: Seattle, WAage: 21sex: Femalemy favs:colour: constantly changin, so i guess all. currently, greenmovie: harold and maude, and cabaret.music: david bowie(mmmm), neutral milk hoteltoys i use: mostly poi, but begining to experiment with many other tools.other hobbies: photography, travel, drinking wine, stillt walking, making costumes, hunting down bowie records, playing, reading, camping, loving, etc. spinning for: about a yearbest spinning moment: on the beach, with the waves tickling my toes.and that is that. nice to meet you guys!jamie

Loleenamember
25 posts

Posted:
Hey smileName: Vicki WrightGender: FemaleLocation: Essex, UKE-mail: Beetlebabe@lovebug.co.uk or Loleena@lycos.co.ukToys: only practice poi at the moment but my piggy bank cant wait to be spent on some electroglo poiOccupation: Not decided as of yetHobbies other then the obvious: Goin to gigs, health & fitness, music (playin an listenin), art & design, Collectin BarbiesWhat makes me laugh: The Ad & Joe show, people who do really stupid stuff makes me laugh, Tom Green, Lee Evans, Henry Rollins, The League of Gentelmen.Favourite Bands: Pantera,Vast Hammerfall, Metallica, Aerosmith, The Doors, Guano Apes,Apocalpytica, Kosheen, Skid Row, Bauhaus, Assorted Jelly Beans, Boards of Canada, No Doubt, Corrosion of conformity, Dolly Parton,any rock/metal/hip hop/skaFavourite Colour:Black is wicked but for those of u who don't think its a colour then probably, blue (to be honest i like most colours an cant pick a fave)Most viewed movie: Labyrinth, the Doors, Monster in the closet, What dreams may comeFavourite quote/saying: Life is not a rehursal (an) If you cant be a sunshine dont be a raincloudBest twirling related moment so far: Letting my good freind Steve loose with my poi an watchin him make up his own moves like the chopper, ( i havnt laughed so much in ages smile ) What a star![This message has been edited by Loleena (edited 05 March 2002).][This message has been edited by Loleena (edited 05 March 2002).]

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead, where there is no path an leave a trail

MoohaahaaBRONZE Member
enthusiast
382 posts

Posted:
Name:Mr J. Forbes Esq.Sex : MaleAge : 20Location:Halfway between London and CambridgeToys : Normal poi, Fire poi, wanting double fire at the moment 'cos you cant have too much fire.Twirling for: about 1 yearOccupation: Sometimes, presently making myself smile.Hobbies: Poi, drums, dancing, music, laughing, meeting nutters and being silly.Fav colour: PurpleFav Film: Dead Man, Plus any Kevin SmithFav Bands: TooL, Beck, Soulfly, Radiohead, Groundwire(me!!), Deltron 3030, Kyuss, trippy trancey and all the other music made by people who love it. Quote: With my feet upon the ground I lose myself between the sounds And open wide to suck it in I feel it move across my skinTool, lateralus.

Some things you have to see to believe, but
Some things you have to believe in to see.

Solacemember
14 posts

Posted:
Name: Matt SpiersSex: MaleAge: 18Location: Newbury (nr. Reading), EnglandURL: www.arcanis.co.uk - to be completed soonE-Mail: Cur10sity@hotmail.comToys: Fire poi and skates.been spinning for: about 6 monthsOcupation: student - damn us allHobbies: Blading, Electronics, Windsurfing, being social, chilling, producing Drum & Bass Favourite Colour: Vibrant GreenFavourite Quote: Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for half an hour.. set fire to a man, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.Astrology: LibraMost watched Movie: Hackers and Gone in 60 Seconds.favourite animals: Cats all the waybest twirling moment so far: Teahing Anne to do shed-loads of trix in one drunken evening, and then watching her do fire poi after a week... damn her!

You don't need eyes to see, you need vision.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
OK Ros I found it (eventually). Now I know who i'm talking to wink

Meh

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
*wonders whether this is a good thing or a bad thing*

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I'm gonna vote on the side of good thing.

Meh

outlawstevobtkmember
3 posts

Posted:
Name: Outlaw StevoSex: maleAge: 16Location: roseland, njURL: none yet,Toys: photons, glow sticks, planning on getting fire poiBeen twirling for: 4 monthsOccupation: student/intructor of martial artsHobbies other than obvious: track, fencing, martial arts, computers, music, band, marching band, concert band, jazz band,Favourite Colour: red, blue, silver, green, black, gold,Most viewed Movie: ummmmmm.....Favourite Animal: dragon, pheonix,Skill: Black Belt, fan, nunchucksFavourite Quote/Saying: "Don't Hate Me Cause I'm Good Looking, Hate Me Cause Ur Girlfriend Thinks So"Astrology: AriesBest twirling related moment in life so far: ummm...never had a real twirling moment other than my first time at the club, w/ the rav'n photons kicking everybody's butt w/ the tips i got from everyone here,

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
phew! that's a relief...........thanks smile

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
*BUMP*

Meh

bratty natmember
1 post

Posted:
Name: Bratty Nat (Natalia)Sex: FemaleAge: 24Location: Edmonton, Alberta, CanadaURL: not up yet! (i have natalia.ca and brattynat.com registered)Toys: PoiBeen Twirling for: In total maybe a week over a period of 6 monthsOccupation: graphic designHobbies other than obvious: in my 11th year of flamenco dancing, starting belly dancing, reading lots, hanging in CalgaryFavorite movie: Empire of the sunFavourite saying: "que me quitten lo bailao" basically means that 'you can't take what i've already danced' Best twirling related moment: smacking my lip open with glowsticks after borrowing some kind person's poi at the warehouse in calgary

.:que me quiten lo bailao:.

splerphBRONZE Member
75 posts

Posted:
Name: Splerph or MelSex: FemaleAge: 24Location: Perth AustraliaToys: Fire Poi, plus a recent edition glow poi which I made myself smileBeen twirling for: Only since new years and I can't stop.Hobbies: Twirling, Drumming, Swimming, Fav colour: Yellow (as bright as possible)Fav Music: Ben Harper, John Butler Trio and Primus and millions more I love most music.fav animal: Blue healers!Best spinning moment: The first time I spun with fire on the beach in the middle of summer.

Smile and the whole world smiles with you

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Blue Healers?

Meh

splerphBRONZE Member
75 posts

Posted:
Sorry Blue Healers are Aussie dogs. Australian Cattle dogs they are beautiful smart dogs. They're coats are a mix of black and white hair and they tend to look blue with that mix. Hence the blue part of their name. And Healer is because they nip at the heals of cattle when they are herding them.Really smart dogs although some have real attitudes

Smile and the whole world smiles with you

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Woof

Meh

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
NAME-arashiAGE- 28signs- scorpio/aquarius, red cosmic dragon, purple fire oxsex -maletoys/hobbies-bullwhip, poi, stilts, fire eating, breathing, finger wicks, body juggling,staff, sculpture, maskmaking, welding, sex, performing, tai chi, tarot, piano, puppetry, nunchuckufire dancing for- poi 5 years, breathing 7 years, bullwhips 6occupation- fire circus performer/puppetteer(is that spelled right?)carpenter when i'm too brokefave books-dune, lord of the rings, stranger in a strange land, brief history of time, siddhartha, 2 many 2 listfave movies- final fantasy, matrix, city lost children, harold and maude, tai chi master, iron monkey, moon over tao, tout les matin du mondefave spinning moment- first time i locked into flow and dance and cosmic type shit(&each time i do it again). also first time i fried my face blowing fire. also day i quit my day job and became a full time poi machineoh, location- austin tx, wherever fairy gypsy fire goddess takes me

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

.Morph.SILVER Member
addict
669 posts

Posted:
Name: MarkSex: MaleAge: 25Location: St.Annes, EnglandToys: Poi (Fire, Glowstick, UV, anything that spins grin )Been twirling for: On and off 2yrsOccupation: I'm keeping my options openFavourite Music: Trance, Funk, breakbeat, hiphop a broad rangeFavourite Colour: Tangerine Favourite Quote/Saying: 'Anything possible'Best twirling related moment in life so far: Spinning standing in the ocean under a full moon, after learning my first move.PLURFireMorphster(Previously Marlboro :-)~ )

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
ok I guess i'll take the hint and add my stuff smileName: StephaniSex: FemaleAge: 17 I'll be 18 this summerLocation: Deep River (it's between middletown, new london, new haven, and hartford) CT, but I lived in perry & okemos MI until recently and I'm moving to Santa Cruz, CA next year.Been spinning for: um about a week and a halfToys: Poi, staff, i want to do fire this summer if i can get someone to teach meOther hobbies: Most things to do with horses, cross country (running, skiing, riding, hiking), 100m high hurdles, technical theatre (altho i seem to be directing a show this spring), reading, singing, guitar, drums, harp, drawing (chalk pastels), researching religions, writing.Occupations: Student, waitress or busgirl, stablehand, looking for a camp counseler job this summerBest Movie: CubeBest TV show: Queer as Folk (the canadian version- I havn't seen the full season of the british one) but simpsons is a close second.Music: anything usually, but techno is best for dancing and homeworkFavourite Colour: Black or TealFavourite Animal: TB or TB cross horses, or border collies, or aussies (I can't pick).

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

pantsonfirethe man with the flaming pants
148 posts

Posted:
Name: pants on fire, nah really it chrisnickname: chookage:18Location: Murwilumbah, nsw, AustraliaWeapon of choice: Poi and Long Staffi've been staffing for 2 years and spinning poi since chrismas 4 monthI like meeting people, being happy, fire, music, and triple JMusic: Punk, Rock, peaceful techno, and just about anything except pop, and crappy bubblegum technoComment: Hey people cant wait to meet you all, and have a beautiful day, oh the fire!!!i'll finish this latter.

It's all good

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Kyrian, there were two seasons of the British Queer as Folk.The second season was much funnier.

Meh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
There's a New London? What was wrong with the old one?Oh, wait a minute, I know.....

Meh

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
bah the second season must not be availible in the us yet... bother i havn't even finished the first. hmmm. ya know where i could get copies of the second one cantus?oh and that new london thing we have... i don't recommend it either (i used to live across the river from the sub base in groton...) not to say i've ever been to the real one.... *suddenly wishes for lot of money so she could travel*

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Yes I do grin

Meh

Butterflymember
21 posts

Posted:
name: maggieage: is only a barrier if you believe it to be a barrierlocation: brisbane, ozsign: leotwirlin for about: 1 yeartoys: staff, poi and glow poi, i'd like to learn double staff nextoccupation: market bumhobbies: apart from twirlin, music is my love - to listen and dance more that play, but i do play bass and djembe sometimes; being in nature; being with friends and family; doing the markets every weekend; laughing; writing; spending time with my beautiful dog; random acts of kindness....favourite colours: purple, blue, red, blackfavourite music: anything that grabs me and pulls me to my feet, makes me laugh or cry, anything that speaks to me. do i sound crazy? lol.favourite bands: korn, incubus, john butler trio, george, iota, michael franti and spearheard, grinspoon, afro celt sound system, transglobal underground, enigma, slipknot, orgy, limp bizkit, powerman 5000, anything with lots of bass, ah i could go on and on! favourite movies: dazed and confused, the jersey series (clerks etc) labyrinth, the dark crystal, empire records, chocolat.favourite book: the mists of avalon, the sevenwaters trilogysayings: ‘follow your heart’ and ‘be happy’quotes: it has to be dark to see the stars; soulfly, fly high so fly fly free. when you walk into this world, walk into this world with your head up high. (deftones); All the freaky people make the beauty of the world!! (spearhead)fav spinning moment: about one hour ago, i lit up for the first time since december, i had my staff, my poi, and my recently acquired double wick staff. i lit up in that order and it was incredible to re-experience the beauty of spinning....ahh i can’t wait to get to byron this thursday!! so thats me. thanks for reading smile and have a lovely night.

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
I guess it's my turn...I Am: DutStats: Male, 21, 6', 165#, single winkSign: ~Libra~Learning to dance with: PoiAlso interested in: Staffs, Stilts, Meteor BowlsFrom: Nashville, TN, USALiving in: New Orleans, LA, USAOther hobbies: computers, reading, sleeping, sculpture (metal more so than stone)Fave Colors: Black, then GreenMusik: Rock, Hard Rock, Metal, Chick Rock, etc. [yes, i'm one of *those*]Bands: A Perfect Circle, Tool, Tori Amos, Sarah McLachlin, Incubus, Sevendust, Kula Shaker, etc.Movie: I usually say "Bill and Ted"...Seasons: Spring, AutumnElements: Air, FireSome Random Quotes: "If all else fails, make up better lies about yourself" - My boy Sam "Reality is the original Rorschach." - Principia DiscordiaHow I got here: Used to be part of Nashville's Dagorhir medieval combat group. Shadow (a guy there) showed me how to do a figure eight with swords one week, which i got down some time (much) later. About a year ago, I found a juggling shop at the French Market and got the girl there to demonstrate a set of practice poi she had up. I was mesmerized. I grabbed them and swung them around a bit to get a feel for the weight and went immediately into the weave. It was beautiful and I bought them. I took them home and learned some of the basic swinging techniques (overhand, underhand, butterfly), then sat them aside until last week. Now I'm back with a vengance, practicing two hours a day. I've improved Dramatically and am learning to chain moves and turn around in circles.Why I feel the Need: I need to be able to know that I have connected with an outside object in a way that internalizes it to the point that it becomes an extension of my body. The Poi were laying around, so I grabbed them. =) Now I get to light extensions of my body on Fire!My Idea for Self Starting Poi: 1) prepare wicks, 2) start swinging, 3) maneuver poi so that they pass through camp fire...--Dut[This message has been edited by Dut (edited 26 March 2002).]

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
What's your favourite colour Dut?

Meh

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
off topic i know but if ur gonna be in nawlins long dut we should meet up, my friend is moving there for work (tech theatre.) what would you think about spinnin' at mardi gras next year? (gives me time to get ok at least!:P)

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

Ilithiyamember
1 post

Posted:
Here I am... finally got around to registering and posting... grinName: IlithiyaSex: Most definitely female.Age: 23Location: Portland, OR, USAURL: https://www.darksites.com/souls/goth/ilithiya/Toys:
Poi, plain staff, chained staff; both either glowstick/streamer or sparklers. ((Won't use fire right now as I'm expecting my second "small" @ the end of April. :eek [image]https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif">)"Playing[/image]Fav music to spin to: Nine Inch Nails, Perfect Circle, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, and that song from Savior ("Rasti Rasti" by Moba. They're Bulgarian).Current Project: Twirling costume, and waiting for the 4th of July to stock up on sparklers.Occupation: MommyGoth. Eww. smileOther Hobbies: Archery, goth, beading, SCA, Diablo II, costuming, bellydance, pool, sushi, my guitar. And my kids, of course.Fav Color: Too many to list.Fav Music: Cure, Depeche Mode, Autechre, Alice in Chains, Sisters of Mercy, AttritionMost Viewed Movies: Maverick, SLC Punk, Fav Animal: Fish. They're pretty, they're quiet, they're nontoxic, and they don't make messes.Fav Quote: "You can't make someone love you. You can only stalk them and hope for the best."Best Twirling Moment: When I'll be able to practice for long enough at a time to make lighting up worth it. smile-------------------=* Today was a total waste of eyeliner... *=-

-=* Today was a total waste of eyeliner... *=-

xLessThanJakexmember
155 posts

Posted:
Hello to all new people XXX------------------Where there is sorrow I seek the Flame - Rumi

Where there is sorrow I seek the Flame - Rumi

Page: ...