Forums > Social Chat > "...and I've only been spinning for..."

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Next person who says that gets slapped.

And not the next person who says that just to get slapped, but the next knucklehead that brags about how quickly they learned whatever it is that they learned in however few months that they've been spinning deserves the same slap that any pathetic bragger would get.

I'm finding it funny that poi people don't brag about how good they are... they brag about how good they are per time. As if dividing by time somehow makes the brag acceptable.

I'm a mid-level spinner who spins if and when he feels like it. I'm tired of people coming up to me and telling me how much better than me that they are "..and I've only been spinning for.."

You win.

You're special.

You get the "I've spun poi for 24 hours a day for the past 6 months just so I could have something in my life that I was better than someone" award.

Please stop telling me about it. Please stop desperately seeking my approval, admiration, and respect because you're not gettin any of em.

Does this go on elsewhere as well? (Sorry for the rant.)

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

ieuanBRONZE Member
holy man
110 posts

Posted:
All I can say is the Shadow knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men. Justice will be served and when they F-up and put their eye out or become a toasted marshmallow, when they say "hey look at this new move I invented the double toe loop extra firey pheonex." Oh, by the way I have been spinning for two week and really suck I need more practice. I think I need to move overseas so I can meet with all you cool people in the park. They don't spin here in upstate NY :crying:Rock on.

Gather your harps from the willow trees, dust off the ancient strings. Call the bards and prophets, let them sing healing and freedom. Let light and love flow from the strings, colors of revelation.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
oooh how the knickers twist, oldie's hating newbies, newbies trying to learn more tricks but getting sand in their face for saying "I've learnt to do whatever in only how long". Does it really matter?!?!

!!!!TO MANY BAD FEELINGS PEOPLE!!!

If someone is bragging and you don't like itturn your cheek and poi the other way. If they want to learn, teach. If they want to teach, learn. It doesn't matter how long/short folks've been spinning, we all know stuff the next guy doesn't and vise versa.

LETS JUST POI TOGETHER LIKE A BIG SPINNING FAMILY

I've learnt loads of tricks (in the last few months I've spun for) off folks who've been spinning for only a couple of weeks, and tought new tricks to people who've been spinning for years. We all had fun and smiled cuz we could do stuff we couldn't when we woke up. That felt nice.

Keep the peace people

Let's relight this forum ubblove

DsAdsPoi? Never!
316 posts

Posted:
Spot on Custom bug!!

Is that magnets!?

ieuanBRONZE Member
holy man
110 posts

Posted:
Are you kidding? I just love everyone. I say "HEY" and "pass the brownies".

Gather your harps from the willow trees, dust off the ancient strings. Call the bards and prophets, let them sing healing and freedom. Let light and love flow from the strings, colors of revelation.

DsAdsPoi? Never!
316 posts

Posted:
Leuan your welcome in London anytime

Ads

Is that magnets!?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Custom Bug:
oooh how the knickers twist, oldie's hating newbies, newbies trying to learn more tricks but getting sand in their face for saying "I've learnt to do whatever in only how long". Does it really matter?!?!
This isn't at all about newbie hate and I resent any implication of that. I've never ever witnessed 'oldies hating newbies' and find that accusation troubling in a post peppered with 'keep the peace' and such.

This isn't about newbies or oldies.

And if it doesn't really matter, and we should turn the other cheek, then why did you post?

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

ieuanBRONZE Member
holy man
110 posts

Posted:
Well actually I'm thinking of moving to London. The UK, has alot more...well, what I like to call "Jesus Festivals" with all the cool music and stuff. Since I play alot of music and want to go far away from my family, I figure somewhere over there would be nice. So, if ya see me on the street(I'll be the one tangled up in my poi), ask about the brownies.

ieuanBRONZE Member
holy man
110 posts

Posted:
. . .and by the way it's an "I" not an "L". but that's OK. you're the second person to do that, I will have to find a way to fix that. . .

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Word NYC!
I think a lot of it's been said already, but I'll add my 2 cents to back up me mate. Or should that be "my homie from the hood over da water"

I don't realy experience this much, but I can see how easily it can happen and I feel the same way as NYC about it. It's not newbie hating (for the record I've seen NYC teach poi to quite a few newbies - even tho quite a few of them were cute European chicks). What it is is an aversion to competition and ego.

Most of the people I've taught who learnt really quickly often commented on how much they'd learnt in so short a space of time, but the way it's said tends to mean: "Wow, I didn't expect to learn so fast". Fine, but if it's also sometimes said to mean: "Hey, I'm a spinning god."

I do see a lot of people excited about a move they've just learnt and everyone likes to say "Hey, my hours of practise just paid off, isn't that cool?" and indeed it is! I'll happily give recognition to someone who's just got a new move, be it the 2 beat weave or a 360 butterfly hyperloop with a catch.

And if they're better than me, well, I don't care because my dad's car is faster than their dad's!

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
quote:
I've never ever witnessed 'oldies hating newbies' and find that accusation troubling in a post peppered with 'keep the peace' and such.
This isn't about newbies or oldies.
And if it doesn't really matter, and we should turn the other cheek, then why did you post?

OK hate was a very strong (and inapropriate) word but I was writing very quickly on my lunch break, many appologies for rushing my post
How about we replace it with "dislike" of newbies who are naturally skilled and don't mind saying so, then get moaned about when they've approached someone who has more experience but maybe less natural skill.
Speaking from experience; I've talked to someone spinning in the hope of learning new tricks and after they had watched me and discovered that at the time I'd only spun for two months was told in no uncertain terms what I could do with my questions. I then went on to discover from one of her friends that she has difficulties when she isn't "the best" after spending over two years learning. This thread sounded very familiar as I was sure in her eyes I was saying "oh I can do that and I've only been learning for...." I don't want this to sound like a generalisation either as most spinners I've met in the past few months are lovely people but Jealousy is a nasty green evil monster we should endeavour to avoid.

Sorry if it offended you

And why did I post? To get a response of course.....why else!

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Word up Døm, that's exactly it. I wish I could have explained it like that!!

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
I've been spinning for 24 months - yey me! .. and my planes are still poo.. tee hee hee..

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

Dinah-mitemember
14 posts

Posted:
Thank you NYC!!!!! I am learning SLOWLY and it is discouraging to see that some can pick it up so darn quickly!!!! I am about twice the age of everyone I am learning with, so maybe that is why I don't get it as quickly!!! I am doing it the old fashioned way... I am EARNING it!!!! So it is a big deal to get ANY new move!!! These folks aren't even bragging, but it is still discouraging just to look around and see them flying by ya!!! But I have a great teacher that reminds me why I am doing it, 'cause its fun!!!
Yesterday I spun to a Clint Black CD and it was a blast... to each his own!!!!
I will continue to try and I WILL get it in my own time...
Keep your powder dry!!!!

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
No they aren't

EDIT: This was meant for under Stix's post

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Custom Bug:
quote:

OK hate was a very strong (and inapropriate) word but I was writing very quickly on my lunch break, many appologies for rushing my post
How about we replace it with "dislike" of newbies who are naturally skilled and don't mind saying so, then get moaned about when they've approached someone who has more experience but maybe less natural skill.

Jealousy is a nasty green evil monster we should endeavour to avoid.

"Naturally skilled and don't mind saying so"... yup, that's exactly what I'm bitching about.

I don't go around talking about my salary, new car, IQ, SAT scores, University diplomas, number of hot girlfriends, or anything else in my life so why is it OK to brag about poi? It's rude, selfish, and pathetically insecure. And it's exactly what brings negativity and unwanted competition to poi.

And I am QUITE certain it's not jealousy.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

mrFlibbleSILVER Member
Ghostbuster
455 posts

Posted:
i agree with the general themes running through this thread (pointless post but who cares)

FlamingMonkeymember
50 posts

Posted:
i agree with NYC and with Dom and with Custom Bug and especially with Mr. Flibble, and you know that makes me insane.

Monkey see, Monkey do...

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
I think the mistake some here are making is to assume only newbies use the time reference excuse/explanation... tis not true...

in fact that is what i find interesting...

yes newbies say i can do this this thsi and i have only been spinning for ...

yes even sometimes i congratulate or encourage some of my students telling them not to worry because that move took me forvere to figure out and it means nothing..

sometimes old school spinners will lie about how long they have been spinning too : to a potential costumer sayign they have been spinning for longer than they actually have because the costumer knows nothing about technique BUT can be impressed if you have been spinning for a certain amount of years.

sometimes they lie and say they have been spinning for less time to not let talented and faster learning newbies make them feel like shit.

sometimes they do not lie and do not really care like NYC and they just point out to those who brag that they canot be arsed dealing with that shit...

yes people are affraid to lose face or they want to look good because they are dying to be recognized... either way it is not the end of the world but I think it is very interesting to give it the time of reflexion of a thread

thank you NYC

shine on
Cass

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

certifiedloonSILVER Member
29 posts

Posted:
I think Valura and Kristie have it down, I agree with them.

I'm a newb and of course I get excited when I learn a new move. I would hate to brag, but when you're new to it and want a bit of encouragement you might tell people u learnt a new move and it could come across as arrogance. However, indeed it is only an effort to be reassured that you are making progress.

I'm a bit worried that NYC may be referring to one of my posts where I did mention how long I'd been twirling but I only included that as a guide to see if I was making good progress or not.

Trust me, I was not bragging whatsoever. I watched the Col2 footage again today because it astounds me completely, I can barely comprehend being able to follow the moves let alone do them myself!

I think it is simply a newbie's over-excitement and enthusiasm and desperation to learn more...

But I have to agree wholeheartedly that I cannot see poi as a competition in who can do what when at all. I just want to learn, whether someone else learns it in a week or 5 years is up to them! Doesn't it all come down to practise time anyway?

AustinBRONZE Member
54 posts

Posted:
I started poi with 2 of my friends and over the past year they have both practically given up because as they say "i'm better". This I found stupidly annoying and depsite telling them both that poi is in no way a competition they both have practically hung up there poi . Another frustrating thing is when people say "oh so and so does this" and then they'll say to me "go on show them your fire things". I find it quite insulting and say no.

*sigh* ahhh thats a relief off the chest

happy spinning everyone

KristieEBmember
108 posts

Posted:
thanks circleoflight!

austin ... omg ... i totally agree with you! i hate when people volunteer for me to show them my skill at something. if i wanted to dance/spin for the spectacle of it, i would have been doing it/mentioning it/bragging about it already! arggggg! that ticks me off too!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by circleoflight:

I'm a bit worried that NYC may be referring to one of my posts where I did mention how long I'd been twirling but I only included that as a guide to see if I was making good progress or not.

AHHH! I'm not in love with you! I don't even know who you are! I've never even read one of your posts in my life! Wait, what did puk say?! "Get off the ego train and buy yourself a mirror!"

Sorry, this is sort of an inside joke here. It seems that people seem to think that I'm in love with them when I don't even know them, and now it seems that you've mistakenly thought I was slyly talking about you when, in fact, I don't even remember having read one of your threads.

Sorry circleoflight, you aren't the one. I just don't think it would have worked out between us anyway.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by NYC:

I don't go around talking about my salary, new car, IQ, SAT scores, University diplomas, number of hot girlfriends, or anything else in my life

This is not true, Hes always bragging about his hot girlfriends.

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

4,224 posts

Posted:

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
OK, that's true, but it's not my fault exceedingly pretty woman are naturally attracted to me. And I wasn't bragging about it... I was merely remarking at how troublesome it can be when so many attractive women insist on throwing themselves at me. They do use up an awful lot of my practice poi time.

Don't hate me because I'm beautiful.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

4,224 posts

Posted:

where is the emoticon for ovesized ego ????

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
But NYC, I loooooove you! Can I be one of your girlfriends? Pretty please? With cherries and whipped cream and whips and all that good stuff on top? I'm not asking for chief concubine status, I know my place... just NYC's Girlfriend (the nth) will do!

Oops. Wrong thread.

E pluribus unum, baby.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
and can i be ur gf too???
ive only been spinning for a few months and i can do......wait! practically bugger all! lol!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
I just smile at the braggers NYC, coz I don't really care how good they think they are; that's their problem. I think some of the bragging comes because people just want to be accepted. Not that I see a lot of bragging downunder. I think most people do this stuff because they enjoy it

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
And it's only new spinners who ever say "I've been spinning for x time and can do...." cuz it always seems like you've learned so much in such a short time when you first pick them up.
Once you have a host of things you can do with a poi time just pales into insignificance. Once it becomes normal after the steep learning curve honeymoon you just keep trying new things and perfecting old moves. Time just becomes unimportant. I don't suppose many people have heard someone say "I've been using poi for 15 years and can now do 400 moves"

What an interesting thread this turned out to be.

I can see why NYC has so many girls throwing themselves at him, I've found that a little demo in a park in the summer can attract various young ladeez who are impressed with "the mystical spinning thingies" showing off can be quite useful sometimes!

Page: