Forums > Social Chat > Laws for Public Spinning?

Login/Join to Participate

Tikimember
44 posts

Posted:
Does anyone know what kind of laws there are for spinning fire in public? As if I were to for say head out to the abandoned old parking lot in my city where the Walmart used to be, or if I wanted to head out to my local park and spin. The reason this is coming to mind is the local radio station, 99X, has been hosting concerts every friday at the Centennial Olympic Park here in Atlanta, and some friends have been suggesting we head out there soon and spin fire. I would seriously love to do it, but the thought of having to call up my parents to get bailed out of prison is oh so not pleasurable. Pele? Incendium? Fireworks? Anybody? wink

1. CAUTION: Knife is very sharp. Keep out of children
2. A truly wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn.
3. Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn.

Lamarmember
53 posts

Posted:
If you find out then let me know. I've already had a cop kick me out of an abandoned area just spinning glowsticks. I don't think he could have forced me to leave but he 'suggested' that I leave as there were a lot of 'vandels' and 'drug users' in the area and it would be shame if he had to blame me for their acts. On top of that, man, if you all are going to get together out there and spin fire let me know. I'll be there in a heartbeat!

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Fire-related ordinances are local, so you'll have to check locally--start with the fire marshall, or drop by a fire station. Beyond that, there's obviously a lot of discretion in enforcement, so depending on whether you catch a cop in a good or bad mood (and depending on whether you give him attitude), you're going to get different treatment.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Tikimember
44 posts

Posted:
I talked with the local fire marshall earlier today without much success. He just kinda grunted alot and said he didn't think that it would be a good idea and that he doubted he would allow it. After I got another minute to explain myself more he gave up and said I'd have to talk with the police about it if I really wanted to be doing it. Said it wasn't really his problem. (Last paragraph is assuming fire chief and fire marshall are one and the same)Lamar, I'm not really sure if we're going to yet. I didn't get very far talking to the guy earlier today, but that was for spinning publicly in my own city, I haven't even approached the thought of calling up someone for metro atlanta. A friend is going to be trying to find a promoter at the event tonight and see if he can talk him into letting us spin by the 5ring fountain after the concert ends. If so we might all be spinning next friday. If we manage to get the promoters blessing then you're more than welcome to join us. Along the same lines as the current topic, can anyone give advice on how to best present the case to a fire marshall? It's really hard to get the idea across in a positive way when you're over the phone with a grumpy guy who's never even heard of what you're doing. How do I explain that I'm spinning balls of roaring fire on a metal cable?

1. CAUTION: Knife is very sharp. Keep out of children
2. A truly wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn.
3. Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn.

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
This topic has come up several times in our group. Unfortunately, none of us really likes dealing with bureaucrats and paperwork so we keep putting it off. We have more or less resigned to throwing underground fire parites well away from public view since most of us are far more interested in just spinning for ourselves rather than performing in public.Which isn't to say we haven't done it in public view. ;-) Since I generally keep all my gear in my truck, I've been known to whip it out whenever I come across an apropriate venue. So far, I've only been busted once, and that involved just being asked to "move along." In that case, it only happened because someone complained -- we had previous spun fire several times in that location while the cops watched.Getting approval really is the right thing to do, but if you are responsible, have plenty of safety gear and spotters you *probably* won't get hassled too bad. Go out and splurge on a fire extinguisher and carry it with you. You'll probably never use it on fire, but having it arround makes the cops and FD happy.If you want to go the permits route, you will want to carefully document what you do in writing, and carefully list the fuels you use, and all of the safety precautions you take. Presenting a demonstration video with streamers and some fire would probably really help too.Another thing to be aware of is public performance laws. In many places public performance (busking) is prohibited even if you do *not* have a tip jar.-p.