AmberGOLD Member
48 posts

Posted:
Hi all
Am trying to work out a way of playing my music to a crowd. I want it to be nice and loud to be heard over the fire. No access to a powerpoint so it will need to be battery powered. Have heard i could hook up a speaker to a motorcycle battery.... any one do this? What is everyone using? Any ideas please?

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
I use the portable Bose iPod sound dock, it has a good rechargeable battery and gets very loud and crisp. They also fit all iPods, iTouches, and iPhones along with having an auxiliary input to connect other devices (TVs, computers, etc) with the appropriate cable. Nice cases that hold all of the system and a spare battery are available and a remote control comes standard.

I love mine and it was one of the best investments I've made for all purpose and portable sound without bulk.

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
How much is said dock?

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
Well I got mine on sale for $289.00 (they cycle on and off sale at Best Buy, Target, and other places with a decent electronics section especially near the holidays) the official site says https://www.bose.com/controller?event=DTC_LINKS_TARGET_EVENT&DTCLinkID=7475&src=SOUNDDOCK
but can be financed...

I would just save up and wait for a sale personally, financing always hikes up the price to an absurd level. yes

It's worth every penny, I use it for music and as a home theater system, no more clunky stereos and such! grin

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
That;s the one we have in our house except it's white and older as well as it's not portable.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

AmberGOLD Member
48 posts

Posted:
well i checked out bose and seems to be best portable ipod dock around. here in australia they are $550. bose had an even bigger system which sounds great. it was $899. but not portable. so would have to figure our how to run it on battery power.....

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
The portable Bose system is pretty fantastic for a portable unit, with a surprisingly good battery life. For busking anything more would probably have diminishing returns. Though I would make the caveat that you can get pretty decent systems for about half the Bose price, and you may want to think about sound quality vs. the risk of damage to/theft of a portable stereo you're toting around a lot. The Bose sounds amazing, but that's a big hit to take if something happens to it.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
ive got a crate limo and it is awesome, it has great battery life, three imput channels and is both loud and very rugged.

CalvinKlownEunathist
280 posts

Posted:
Yep those crate limos are great, really good amp.

You could go for a Peavey Solo too about 120 euro, they're really cheap, but don't have an internal battery, (you have to use 8 D cells) Or they're easily converted to a larger battery)

Best I've seen yet is the Fender Amp Can about 200 - 250 euro, which has amazing sound, great battery life, internal battery, and is indestructable. Trouble is they're hard to find, but a second hand one would be a brilliant buy, like I say, indestructable.

Is this a busking thing?

Never lie down with someone who has more problems than you.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Word - Crate amps (I've got a taxi) are very good.

Good battery life, good sound quality and some have dual imputs so you could use a mic/headset whilst playing music.

Can even charge them off a car power point.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

FearpigSILVER Member
member - tee hee "member"
279 posts

Posted:
Check out a Roland Cube... I keep seeing all the buskers over here with them!

"Whats wrong with the cat?" - Mrs Schrödinger

Fenris13BRONZE Member
stranger
8 posts

Posted:
I just build myself portable speakers, they have a amazing sound range last 20hours and weigh 6kg.

I used a 300Watt car amp a 7Ah rechargeable battery and 2 90Watt car speakers.
Costs 50-80€.

Probably way better then anything you can buy in that price segment.

Building it was pretty easy, without any real electronic skills,if you have questions just ask me.

Here are some pics:

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

discowrapsBRONZE Member
stranger
13 posts

Posted:
roland micro cube is good but only for less than 200 people so if you have a good show and space a little lacking tremec makes a wounderful 30 watt rechargeable for 250 euro but remember most portable amps are for guitars so dont hae a tweeter and dont get high enough

FearsaorRosaBRONZE Member
Cyr Wheel Artist, Fire Performer, Poi Enthusiast
43 posts

Posted:
I would say a Roland Cube Street is also good. If you are looking for a cheaper alternative I would suggest the amplifier made by CRATE TX15 (TAXI). I am actually a musician as well as a fire performer and this amp is versatile. If your in a small area suggest using the CRATE profiler 5 lots of sound for about £60 pounds. Have seen (forgive the pun) CRATE TX15's on sale for about £70 pounds. SO it is good to shop around. Hope this helps. If you want any help regarding amplification please PM me.

Info on TX15 (TAXI)
https://www.crateamps.com/products/pindex.php?prodID=25

EDITED_BY: FieryFireWorld (1300531042)
EDIT_REASON: Correcting typos: (Screen-Reader missed them!). Added link.

I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it.

hoffmanGOLD Member
stranger
23 posts

Posted:
well, in China, the land of whatever you can think of they'll make, it is relatively easy and inexpensive to pick up a variety of portable, battery operated, rechargable, plug in an ipod systems with anything from 8 to 12" woofers for about 100 or 150 Austalian dollars. Went down to one of the local markets specializing in speakers and sound systems and picked one up recently - can recharge overnight and last about 4 - 5 hours in the park. Even came with microphone and wireless headset. Not sure about how you would actually buy one online, though, maybe Alibaba or Tao Bao?

spirituality can be seen as just intiution.....

Pyrometheusstranger
4 posts

Posted:
I use a small guitar amp with a wireless mic and an Ipod dock, powered by a car battery...ever last baby, you get approx 80 hours of play time before the battery dies, then again you could always use half and switch your car battery...with 2 in rotation the batteries never die.
EDITED_BY: Pyrometheus (1330716547)
EDIT_REASON: spelling correction

wielding fire from the Gods since the beginning of time