flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Flash is a very happy alien today!

For the first time in my life, I am absolutely certain I have made the right decision for my future, and have gained more confidence in the concept of fate and the beauty of life's journey.

Yesterday I accepted a job that I know will make me happy and propel me into developing into the creative and intelligent person I know that I can be!

I am 25 years old and have never known what I want to do with my life in terms of a career. Ultimately, I still don't know, but up until now I feel that I have always settled for what my head has told me to do, and have suffered a constant paradox with what my heart has been yearning for.

When I came back from my 2 years overseas I was at a loss for direction. Throughout my job hunt, I was offered a position at a backpackers in Sydney. The hotel was called Wanderers and at that point (november 2000) it hadn't yet opened. Had I accepted the job, I would have been an assistant manager. Tourism has never paid great wages and because I was also offered a cushti office job with a big Telco paying me way too much money, I followed my wallet and became a personal assistant.

Being a PA was never satisfying for me and I always felt ashamed of myself because I knew I was capable of more. But, being a PA pays well - really well.

Anyway, 2002 was one of massive changes for me - I was made redundant from my cushti job, I broke up my 7.5year relationship, was unemployed for 4 months, had a huge falling out with my best friend, nearly got evicted from my apartment, had to sell my beautiful Jeep before she got repossessed, fell into a depression, accumulated massive debt to family members and ended up having to take the first job that was offered to me - another unsatisfying Personal Assistant role.

Two days ago I handed in my resignation because it has finally occurred to me that I'm just not the corporate administrator type and sitting in an office making coffee for my boss is not my idea of a fulfilling career. My new job will be night manager at a backpackers in the city.

The hotel is called Wanderers on Kent. And for those of you still paying attention, you will notice that this is the exact hotel that offered me the exact same job 2 years ago.

So basically, I'm doing what I was meant to be doing all along, but had to learn some really important lessons and make some major life changes along the way before I could reach that realisation.

I've gone from money-focused materialist to realising that happiness and satisfaction is far, far more important than a fat wallet. It took months of absolute poverty and a huge reduction in pride to work this out though.

Anyway, I could wax lyrical about my crazy and fulfilling journey and how it has brought me to where I am now, and where I'll continue to travel along for PAGES, so I'll leave you with something a wise and beautiful friend once said to me:

"Know Thy Self"

love n light
flash

[ 13. February 2003, 14:10: Message edited by: flash fire ]

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Miss RubySILVER Member
44 posts

Posted:
Thanks for your enlightening sentiments!

Am actually in the same dilemma you speak of at the mo' (read: last couple of years!).

I want to do something crreative, thinking tattoo or maybe set/prop design for theatre, but have lacked confidece in selling myself to these industries. Money also been a factor, but I could never work in an office or similar, because I have a big mouth and speak my mind, and have a hard time with the yes Sir/Madams.

Over the last few weeks I have been on holiday. One week with a friend in Katoomba, one with family friends where I grew up in Mildura, and this week I have tracked down my father who I haven't seen in 15 years. Through my recent experiences I have realised that I really DON'T give a piss ant's fart about money, as long as I'm eating, and that I need to be doing something that is creative and keeping my mind alive.

Then I read your post, and it just added the mortar to the bricks, the icing on the cake and the motion to the wheels. I am certain I will return home to Bris Vegas in a few weeks with a new focus and direction in life. So many opportunities, so little time!

GO YOU BIG RED FIRE ENGINE!!!

...a little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men...

Throw your dreams into space like a kite, and you do not know what it will bring back, a new life, a new friend, a new love, a new country.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
congrats flash, glad you have things on track again.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Can i get a cheap room at your hotel when i'm in town?

Meh

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
screw you C@ntus. You get nothing til you tell me how nice my little story was.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
Im so happy for you !.
Big Yaay scream here .

Some people never realise this and lead a very unforfilling life . (especially in sydney).

Sometimes people just need a event in their life to make think about these thing's.

You have taken a big step in your life
IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION .

love and light .
Evian

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Flash that is magic!!!

You are absolutely and totally right. I know you, you have brains and resources, so you will always have enough money to live, and now you will have a life to enjoy too.

I am so pleased for you.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
From one cushti job refugee to another: Very cool, very bouncy-happy for you, muchly, indeedy

Did however realsie this was all a basic plug for the backpackers. Wanderers, on Kent you say? If I get kicked out of my where I'm squatting in Sydney I'll me over there, about 3 in the morning probably

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
flash,

Drew

Fire-N-Watermember
36 posts

Posted:
FLASH FIRE! I read that and had to go outside and spin for a good hour!

How did you decide to finally take your new job? Did you think about it while you were moving along in the other life; the life you were living before? It is amazing how the world listens.

I see and feel that happening everywhere. Friends are being swept here and there doing incredible things – being happier today then they were yesterday… everywhere. Even here, at this desk while talking to you my life is being driven by the connection I feel to the power within.

Congratulations! It feels great, doesn’t it?!

...drops everything to go spin some more~*~~ *~~ ~~* ~ ~ * ~~ ** ~ ~ * ~ * ~ * * *