Forums > Social Chat > Martial Arts Techniques

Login/Join to Participate

Tigurmember
43 posts

Posted:
I've been trying to throw some martial arts techniques and such into my spinning and i've wondered, has anybody else tried, and suceeded?

i've been throwing in mostley arial moves like flash kicks, Zempo kitans, Shigaries, split 540's, tornado kicks and other more advanced moves

i'm trying to my get requirements to teach martial arts and am planning on (hopefully) making a combination martial art of my own

Dicipline Focus Damage

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
looks around HOP for Santanatwo!

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
wowie! u sure is advanced!
any tips on how to make a crane?
i get paper cuts.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
I've heard of people full-on break dancing while spinning but never martial arts.

More power to you if you can.

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
bender,

I can make fortune tellers, thats about it.

Raph

Tigurmember
43 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by bender™:
wowie! u sure is advanced!
any tips on how to make a crane?
i get paper cuts.

wear gloves?

does santanatwo use matial arts with his poi?

Dicipline Focus Damage

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
Santana's def. got some skills with the martial arts as far as using nunchaku and throwing a good kick in here and there... also a lot of capoeira style stepping during his routines, which goes well with poi (see CoL 3). He's been a little lax lately posting on the boards... think he's on vacation for the holidays... so yeah I'll share what I know since we work together and stuff.

Kicks generally make for good wraps and under-the-leg techniques, especially like throwing a poi under a leg while turning (looks good with a real high crescent kick).

What we're looking for right now is a good way to throw a butterfly kick or an aerial in with a poi routine... anyone got any help on first doing these moves and second incorporating them into poi? I'm about to drive 60mi just to go into a wushu hall to pick up the butterfly kick myself...

Oh yeah and I can him fightin any day (hehe sorry santanatwo, had to say it)

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I think Dio is still pissed cause I made reference to my "young padawan learner" and he automaticaly assumed I was taking about him (Ok, so I was! what cha gona do? huh? I'll slap you so hard it'll knock your cloths backwards like Criss-Cross)

so take that
Non-Https Image Link
And that
Non-Https Image Link
And a little more of this
Non-Https Image Link
you want some more? I can dish it out all day long!

seriousely though, i just started using a lot of capoeira steps during my routines, and none of them show up on col#3 (because I had to use a tripod, and capoeira steps involve moving around alot). I do use a lot of kicks with my staff twirling on COL#3. (spin kicks mostly, but some side kicks and front kicks too.) And my favorites are jump spin (especialy the jump spin double side kick, performed from a weave (with poi) or with a staff (easiest)

basically, almost any kick can be done while spinning, it is mostly a matter of placement and timing to not get the kick in the way of the spining.

And yes, I do put a lot of wraping together with kicks, basically any kick can be wraped on. you can recoil the wraps, or turn as they wrap to unwind them.

There may just be some more jiggy stuff on COL4, wait and see.

Tigur, man, I don't have any idea what most of those moves you just listed are!?!?!

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
I'd use marital arts, only i've no plates left to break.

aw man that wasn't even close to funny..
/goes back to drawing board

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
That's "wraPPing" my friend... two P's.

Wouldn't want ppl thinking you're a wrapist now would we?

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

Tigurmember
43 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by santanatwo:
Tigur, man, I don't have any idea what most of those moves you just listed are!?!?!
Flash Kick = ever played street fighter? you know Guiles special back flip kick?

it's a back flip with a kick added to it

Zempo Kitan(Japanese for Forward Arial roll) = with a little run jumping forwar with as much air as possible doing a front flip and instead of landing on your feet, you pull an extra rotaion and use your arm to guide you into a roll on the fround

Shigarie(Japanese for Arial) = a Side flip, instead of jumping straight forward, flipping, and landing on your feet pointing forward, you jump sorta like your doing a cartwheel in the air and landing sideways

Split 540 = a little forward momentum, and then jump and do a 540 degree turn in the air with your legs either, straight out splits in the air, or have one straight out and the other tucked under you so you can follow up with a dragon sweep

tornado kick = an arial crescent kick, except indead of a 180 degree turn, you repeatedley do 360 degree crecent kicks in the air

kinda helps out?

the 540 split kick is awsome for attempting butter flys under you, if you can set up fast enough for it...... i've only done it once, and it looked very sloppy, so i'm gonna try and work on it

Dicipline Focus Damage

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
WOW, Tigur man if you are seriouse about being able to do all that stuff, then (in my humble opinion) you are THE man! I can only dream of beng able to do that stuff. I can't do a flip (on land) to save my life. The best i can do are one handed things forwards and sideways and a two handed back hand spring that I don't do anymore because I don't feel comfortable with it. This basicaly limmits me to using staff for my tricks that involve turning my body upside down.

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
Dio,
That's whay I'm the "wrap Master Funk" and not the "typewriter master funk" or the "spelling bee master funk" or the "dictionary master funk"

see you tonight @ practice man