Endangered Sanitymember
164 posts

Posted:
I'm having a bit of trouble doing the 5 beat weave. I can do a 4 beat weave fine, butI don't know where to put in the extra beat. Its really got me stumped. Can anyone offer any help at all?

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
hey Endangered Sanity - i think your problem boils down to definitions...if you are really doing the 4 beat weave all you have to do is to mirror what you are doing on one side (the side where you wrap your wrists around each other) and do exactly the same thing on the other side too...if you do the 'wrist-wrap' on both sides then you are doing a 5-beat weave (although it still seems like a 4 beat to me!!! grin) - anyways i hope this helps basically practise adding an extra beat on each side by wrapping your wrists around each other on both sides...let me know if you need more clarification...happy swinging,Simos

Hapes-Novamember
60 posts

Posted:
wow simos i read what you wrote about getting to the 5 beat weave from the 4 beat, weave, where you just wrap your wrists over on both sides, instead of just one side, and it helped me out alot. i understood what you meant completely. i now can sorta do the 5 beat weave kinda semi-decently. just practicing it to get it smoother and better is all that i have to do now. thanks for the help, even though it was directed to endangered sanity. Hapes-Nova, a still-learning glowstringer

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
grin i am really glad i could help a bit Hapes-Nova...good lcuk with it,Simos

Endangered Sanitymember
164 posts

Posted:
That means I've been doing the 5 beat weave all along?!? Sweeet!!!

Endangered Sanitymember
164 posts

Posted:
But on the poi lessons it says that your left habd does 5 revolutions in all, 3 on the left and 2 on the right, and vice versa with teh right hand. When i do the wrist crossing on both sides they still only do 2 each

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
yeap i've tried counting them at some point and thought it was a 4-beat weave too endangered sanity...but i think when you count them properly it's 3 one side and 2 on the other - you need to count them while doing it to get it right...i think you are forgeting the fact that when you switch sides your wrists are already wrapped so you basically get an extra half revolution by unwrapping them + 2 revolutions of the normal weave + another half a revolution by wrapping them around again = 3 revolutions...i hope i am right, i haven't counted them by doing it but just imagining myself when i do it...i hope that makes sense...happy swinging,Simos

Hapes-Novamember
60 posts

Posted:
i find that pretty much the only way to know exactly how many beats you are doing is to count. just imagining it in your mind is kinda tough, there are often some things that might be left out, but i guess if you can do it, then thats fine for you. anyway, i will try to go as slow as possible then count all the beats on one side, then try to count the beats on the other side. that way, im sure that ive got all the beats that i should have. works for me-Hapes-Nova, glowsticking raver

emptysetmember
98 posts

Posted:
Go me! i just got the 4 and the 5 beat weaves. thanks Simos ,Endangered Sanity, and Hapes-Nova and for all the help.------------------bring light into the night

Its all in good, clean, light producing fun.

TaiGuymember
127 posts

Posted:
Hey, i've been able to do the regular and reverse 3-beat weave quite easily. Excellent instructions on the website, and a NiCE web board contributed to that. I'm working on my transitions from forward to reverse. I can go from forward's and turning left into my reverse. I always end up wacking myself in the head if i try going into the reverse to my right side... going back from reverse the forwards isn't too big of a problem. Is the windmill [aKa overhead weave] the same thing as the mexican wave, just both poi are moving in the same direction instead of opposite directions? And how on god's green earth do i learn the 4 & 5 beat weaves? I've read all of you guys talking about it, and saw the animated GIF [umm... confusing], but i still have not the slightest as to what i'm supposed to do. Could anyone help me? Also, which should i learn first, the reverse 3-beat weaves, or the 5 beat weave?------------------"Happiness is not a destination, but a method for life"- Burton Hills

The reason communism doesn't work is because people like to own stuff

Endangered Sanitymember
164 posts

Posted:
What you learn next is your choice, but about the 4 and five beat weaves...I think the best way to learn it is to read the instructions lots, and try to get the wrist-wrapping movement right. Expect to hits yourself and tangle the poi a few times, I know it happened to me a hell of a lot grin Thats all the advice I have, maybe some others will have some other pointers.

Endangered Sanitymember
164 posts

Posted:
By the way Simos, I think your're right.... I never did count the wrist wrapping part as a half revolution, so maybe thats why it seems less to me.