The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Forum List        Active Topics     FAQ    Rules    Online Safety
Page 115 of 117
#933565 - 13/08/11 04:21 AM Re: The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread **** [Re: thirteen]
aston Offline
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League

Loc: South Africa
Haha! Finally gotten some horizontal stacking patterns.

Also, some stall-switch variations, so the one does not have to hang uselessly. Bwahahahaha!
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

#933571 - 13/08/11 06:36 AM Re: The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread [Re: aston]
Sister Eleven Offline
owner of the group property

Loc: Seattle, WA
Yay horizontal stacks! Prepare to overuse them (if you're anything like me)!

I've been playing around with the Maiki Nope/Dave Statik style flower stack things a lot recently, and finally found some good transitions into other stacks.

#933579 - 13/08/11 09:36 AM Re: The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread [Re: Sister Eleven]
Ash3s Offline

Loc: Durban South Africa
Inspin butterfly flowers... I can do them, just with too many petals tongue

#933586 - 14/08/11 04:58 AM Re: The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread [Re: Ash3s]
G4dget Offline
Eternal Student of all things Skill

Loc: Kansas City, KS
w00t left hand arm contact rolls!

G4dget

#933587 - 14/08/11 08:55 AM Re: The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread [Re: Sister Eleven]
aston Offline

@S11: Yeah, really starting to like them.... Must look into Dave and Maiki's stuff.

#933749 - 22/08/11 11:21 PM Re: The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread [Re: pozee]
loosifer Offline
stranger

thanks for tip

#933763 - 24/08/11 02:57 AM Re: The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread [Re: loosifer]
thirteen Offline
The Death Card

Loc: Minneapolis, MN USA
gonna have to google up horizontal stacks... or maybe youtube, actually. sounds interesting! and I need something new to work on.

congrats to all the awesome spinners who are learning new things in this thread grin
And the flowers are melting
In the sun

#933767 - 24/08/11 06:50 AM Re: The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread [Re: thirteen]
tanz Offline
stranger

Loc: Finland
Damn. I've got fountain variation (quick) and 5bt weave in two days! So that means i learned weave transition today. Feels good man.. tongue

#933997 - 08/09/11 09:15 AM Re: The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread [Re: pozee]
TJ_NJ Offline
stranger

Loc: NJ, USA
Ok so I didnt learn a new move, but I did do my first fire spin. And Yes I was not ready. It was a load of fun, after the first spin I was amped up and decided to wait a bit and do it again. well second time around after a min I got cocky and tryed a transition im not really good at. needless to say I messed up and managed to wrap the poi around my hand and burnt myself. Good news only second degree, and I did not loss my drive to practice poi. If anything It showed me how much I need to practice. Lesson to all. when you spin only do moves you know your really really good at. I know I learned my leson

#934134 - 16/09/11 02:41 AM Re: The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread [Re: flash fire]
Kevin_Perttula Offline
stranger

Well, since i've never posted on here since i started 2 weeks ago... i guess i'll just list the tings that i have picked up in those two weeks.
3 beat weave (forward and reverse)
butterfly (up and down)
thread the needle (up and down)
sun chasing moon
waterfall
morphin time
arm/leg wraps
so yeah... not the best but i'm really pickin this up and i'm lovin it cool

#934144 - 16/09/11 06:00 AM Re: The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread [Re: Kevin_Perttula]
HeffeHeffeHeffe Offline
Spinners United Leader

Loc: Missouri, USA
its awesome to hear that youve learned that much so soon honestly i learned the butterfly and a 1 and 2 beat in my first 2 weeks. if u dont mind i was wondering if u have the split time or off beat thread the needle up and down yet? they r both very fun but a little mor complex then the normal. as well as a spiral wrap? if u dont know them i would recomend them they r both fun moves. hope u have fun with yur spinning life i dont know much only been at this for 5 months but i know enough to help so if u have any questions i will help if i can.

-Heffe

#934145 - 16/09/11 06:03 AM Re: The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread [Re: HeffeHeffeHeffe]
HeffeHeffeHeffe Offline
Spinners United Leader

so ive been spinning for about 5 months now ill list out the simple stuff i can do
1-3 beat forwards and reverse
5 beat but its sloppy
butterlfy all variations
thread the needle all variations
hyperloop all variations...ollies etc etc
butterfly flowers still sloppy but working on it
butterfly wraps
buzz saw and wraps struggling with upwards buzz saw though
and alot more so im proud of myself sadly i am struggling with the simple stuff because i jumped into more advanced moves i am mainly stuggling with the windmill and my fountains wont come together until i get it! but i wont give up!

hope anyone can give some advice
-Heffe

#934266 - 23/09/11 02:16 AM Re: The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread [Re: HeffeHeffeHeffe]
Kevin_Perttula Offline
stranger

week 3! and i've picked up:
orbitals
hyper loops
buzz saw
wall plane flowers
3 layer cake
inner buzz saw flowers
AND
splits, left, right, forward, and reverse.
I looked into trying the offbeat thread the needle and that sounds hard but i'll see what i can to, i'm lovin this alot and i'll probably need somthing new to learn anyways.

#934401 - 01/10/11 07:41 AM Re: The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread [Re: Kevin_Perttula]
syd322 Offline
stranger

I've been spinning for about a month and I can do...butterfly, alternate butterfly, 3 beat weave, corkscrew, windmill, forward, backward, forward split time, backward split time, and forward-backward and I'm currently working on stalls

#934463 - 05/10/11 06:02 PM Re: The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread [Re: syd322]
aston Offline

Nice going. smile

#934491 - 08/10/11 05:38 AM Re: The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread [Re: aston]
Kevin_Perttula Offline
stranger

Okay week 5, i've picked up all those moves and i got down the off beat thread the needle and fountains!

#934500 - 09/10/11 05:53 AM Re: The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread [Re: Kevin_Perttula]
aston Offline

Off-beat?

#934503 - 09/10/11 11:24 PM Re: The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread [Re: aston]
Mother_Natures_Son Offline
Rampant whirler.

Loc: Geelong, Victoria, Australia!
Mebbe split time??

#934514 - 11/10/11 07:46 AM Re: The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread [Re: Mother_Natures_Son]
HeffeHeffeHeffe Offline
Spinners United Leader

off beat split time same thing different locations have different termonology i say off beat also...im super excited though im getting my first diabolo here in a few weeks as long as my first rope dart im suuuuuper excited

#934515 - 11/10/11 08:50 AM Re: The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread [Re: Mother_Natures_Son]
aston Offline

Originally Posted By: Mother_Natures_Son
Mebbe split time??

This is what I was thinking as well. Not come across it before.

#934527 - 12/10/11 02:31 AM Re: The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread [Re: aston]
HeffeHeffeHeffe Offline
Spinners United Leader

yea its the same thing as split time just different termanology depending on where you live i bounce between boths terms for different moves and for teaching begginers split time makes more sence then off beat so it works at different times

#934695 - 23/10/11 04:19 PM Re: The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread [Re: HeffeHeffeHeffe]
adeathlyaura Offline
The Poi Spinning Undead

Loc: Austin, Texas, United States
It's been a good while since I've posted on here, and I've learned quite a bit since then.

In spin forward and reverse flowers and turning between them
Anti spin forward and reverse flowers (can't turn with these yet)
Butterfly flowers (haven't gotten the turning down with these either)
Anti spin and in spin wall plane flowers
Turning with caps (still needs a little work)
Triquetra
Turning with both arms extended
Butterfly wraps
Same direction linear extensions with a crank isolation in the middle
Elliptical assembly patterns
Under the legs turns
Isolated buzzsaw
Buzzsaw fountain
Buzzsaw weave (also called a Not Coleman 3, I think)
Butterfly weave and turning with it
Isolation vs. extension hybrids forward and reverse
different stall patterns

Poi spinning has pretty much taken over most of my other hobbies. :3 I've learned so much in the seven months I've been spinning.

#934696 - 23/10/11 04:25 PM Re: The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread [Re: adeathlyaura]
adeathlyaura Offline
The Poi Spinning Undead

Aston, what are stall switches?

#934698 - 23/10/11 07:46 PM Re: The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread [Re: adeathlyaura]
aston Offline

They have a couple names, I think, but that is the one Drex seems to favour though.

A variation is shown in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPfwvXAEXDQ as part of the first trick he talks about.
And I think that the normal version is shown here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4x_gjnd-Gg

There are a number of ways to vary them though. In any case, the normal version involves a down stall on one side of the body and the other poi pulls it over, going over your head with the poi head leading.

#934699 - 24/10/11 05:41 AM Re: The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread [Re: aston]
adeathlyaura Offline
The Poi Spinning Undead

Ah, thanks a lot. smile

As shown in Drex's 49th blog, I know the "hybrid stall switch" as a "stall chaser." I learned it a few days ago, actually. I really like how good he is at plane breaking and plane shifting. I'm off to play. grin

#934708 - 25/10/11 06:06 AM Re: The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread [Re: adeathlyaura]
aston Offline

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7FGPcKjVZ0 and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk3STSN06Vg have some more variations, this time by Alien Jon. Actually, these are worth watching anyway. smile

#934720 - 25/10/11 04:08 PM Re: The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread [Re: aston]
adeathlyaura Offline
The Poi Spinning Undead

You were right! smile They were definitely worth watching and probably many more times in the future. I was watching them on an iPhone, and along with the echo, they were a little hard to hear but still very nice. They inspired me to work on body tracers and snakes today.

I do have one question though, if you don't mind taking the time to answer. This is probably very silly sounding since it appears as though it should be obvious but I figured I'd ask anyway. Are all body tracers done by tracing your hand/handle of your poi along the length on your body? If I traced my hand down my leg with the poi spinning around that leg, would that be a body tracer?

Anyway, I learned three moves today: a weave body tracer, turning with snakes, and turning with butterfly flowers. smile

#934726 - 26/10/11 04:27 AM Re: The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread [Re: adeathlyaura]
aston Offline

As I understand it, that would still be a body tracer.

A fun one is to go down one leg, up between them, down between them and up the other. The thing with leg tracers is that they tend to be harder to get into your flow smoothly.

#934840 - 03/11/11 08:15 AM Re: The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread [Re: aston]
adeathlyaura Offline
The Poi Spinning Undead

I tried the leg tracers and I think I need a cup. I ended up racking myself. >:O I do not think I will try those again for awhile. Haha.

I finally learned butterfly crossers earlier today. It only took about five minutes. I had tried it a few months ago and could not get it for the life of me so I gave up, only to discover that it's extremely easy now. XD

#934841 - 03/11/11 08:32 AM Re: The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread [Re: adeathlyaura]
aston Offline

That is how I learned TTN. Tried a couple times, failed dismally, gave up. Tried a couple months later and had no problem. Which is why teaching it was tricky. tongue

Page 115 of 117