The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Forum List        Active Topics     FAQ    Rules    Online Safety
Page 114 of 117
#931497 - 27/04/11 04:28 AM Re: The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread **** [Re: hooza angel]
Ash3s Offline

Loc: Durban South Africa
Can I make a suggestion? I don't know what speed you spin at, but try spinning slower. That was like an epiphany for me... slower is easier and on the times that your poi do connect with your body, the impact is far gentler. smile

#931522 - 27/04/11 11:20 PM Re: The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread [Re: Ash3s]
aston Offline
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League

Loc: South Africa
This is aided by heavier poi. Just by the way.
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

#931571 - 29/04/11 02:20 PM Re: The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread [Re: aston]
hooza angel Offline
Momma Hooza

Loc: Cleveland OK
im reluctant 2 make my flows to heavy b/c i hav notice its easier to go heavier but not so easy to go lighter. or am i just odd lol?

#931572 - 29/04/11 04:58 PM Re: The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread [Re: hooza angel]
Honii Offline
Life's Student

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I learned a reverse 3 beat weave, windmill, and the fountain! (all over a couple weeks) grin I feels proud lol, buzzsaw flower here I come!

#931584 - 30/04/11 02:54 PM Re: The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread [Re: Honii]
hooza angel Offline
Momma Hooza

Loc: Cleveland OK
@ honii

good luck lol smile

#931674 - 03/05/11 06:45 AM Re: The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread [Re: hooza angel]
thirteen Offline
The Death Card

Loc: Minneapolis, MN USA
spiral wraps, you are mine! could get into them before but always had trouble unwrapping. sock poi fixed that. still gonna take work to do it confidently with fire, but being able to repeatedly wrap into and back out of them is a huge step.
And the flowers are melting
In the sun

#931698 - 03/05/11 08:58 PM Re: The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread [Re: thirteen]
Ash3s Offline

I'm slowly (zomg so frikken slowly) getting the hang of spiral hand wraps... I actually find that if I get the unwrapping right then I do a perfect wrap the other way O.o

But ya... I'd say one in every ten... possibly every twenty works tongue

#931710 - 04/05/11 01:29 AM Re: The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread [Re: Ash3s]
aston Offline

Nice going, both of you. smile

#931731 - 04/05/11 05:12 PM Re: The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread [Re: aston]
thirteen Offline
The Death Card

thanks!

and that's how it starts ash... I don't know how many hundreds of spiral wraps I did before they started to work. I'd attempt them randomly at work, walking down the street, etc. just kept trying, kept failing, and then eventually succeeded.

not sure if you've tried this but doing them above your head is A LOT easier for me, since they will fall onto your wrists instead of down off your fingers. of course that doesn't make unwrapping any easier...
In the sun

#931738 - 04/05/11 09:12 PM Re: The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread [Re: thirteen]
aston Offline

Thirteen: Start unwrapping just a tad before you think you have to. You do not want them to actually finish the wrap, because then it is harder to unwrap them.

#931756 - 05/05/11 04:48 AM Re: The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread [Re: aston]
thirteen Offline
The Death Card

hey thanks, that helps a lot! was unwrapping fine with sock poi but couldn't do it very well with glow or fire (unlit obviously) but that tip made it much easier.

Edited by thirteen (05/05/11 04:49 AM)
In the sun

#931768 - 05/05/11 11:03 AM Re: The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread [Re: thirteen]
aston Offline

'Tis but a pleasure. smile

#931827 - 07/05/11 05:02 AM Re: The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread [Re: pozee]
FunTrails Offline
Peace Monger

Loc: SoCal
Soo stoked! Last night I got a one handed butterfly and got out of it way smooth! Woot been spinning about 6 weeks. And today my watermelon flowlights come in!

#931864 - 09/05/11 02:06 PM Re: The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread [Re: FunTrails]
SpinnerofDetroit Offline
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want

Loc: Trenton, MI, USA
I can now bounce my meteor like 20ft into the air. I feel so so godly when I do it. I can also spin in above my head with one hand. Not poi, but there isn't a meteor thread for this I think and I usually post my things in here :X

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

#931974 - 14/05/11 07:45 PM Re: The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread [Re: SpinnerofDetroit]
Midkiff Offline
shadow stranger

Loc: Carmi, Illinois
you must take a video so we can see
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

#931982 - 15/05/11 05:45 AM Re: The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread [Re: Midkiff]
SpinnerofDetroit Offline
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want

Loc: Trenton, MI, USA
When I finally get time, I want to make an "Everything that makes me happy" video. Filled with toys, lights, fire, dancing, and raving smile Pretty much everything special I do collaborated into a video grin But right now I have prom, a court date, graduation, college things, we're gonna move soon. So I'm not entirely sure when I can get to it.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

#931993 - 15/05/11 09:14 PM Re: The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread [Re: pozee]
donnapage2003 Offline
Donna

Loc: United Kingdom
My boyfriend has been teaching me POI for the last two months, and, well, last week, I kinda did a move he's never been able to do - reverse alternating butterfly! He kissed my feet, lol! Then I taught him how to do it (So funny watching him with 'new trick face'!!!!).

#932096 - 19/05/11 06:25 PM Re: The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread [Re: flash fire]
moonflower3 Offline
stranger

Yay! Just did my first butterfly today. Not bad for only a couple weeks and a total of about 5 hrs. practice. Now just need to perfect my triple weaves without knocking myself in the face.

#932103 - 19/05/11 09:46 PM Re: The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread [Re: moonflower3]
aston Offline

Bravo!

#932159 - 21/05/11 07:35 AM Re: The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread [Re: aston]
adeathlyaura Offline
The Poi Spinning Undead

Loc: Austin, Texas, United States
I just learned the forwards 3 beat weave behind the back. It had been frustrating me for days! grin Now I'm working on hyper loops and getting my flowers to look better.

#932322 - 28/05/11 12:36 AM Re: The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread [Re: adeathlyaura]
thirteen Offline
The Death Card

finally got BTB weave! notice that I didn't say "finally got BTB weave down!" because it's nowhere near down... still very iffy. but nonetheless, I can do it. now it's just a matter of practice, practice, practice (and hitting myself, hitting myself, hitting myself).
In the sun

#932335 - 28/05/11 07:07 PM Re: The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread [Re: thirteen]
aston Offline

Nice work guys. smile

#933167 - 22/07/11 07:33 AM Re: The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread [Re: aston]
TJ_NJ Offline
stranger

Loc: NJ, USA
Hey, Im pretty new to poi, when I go camping I like to tie up some glow sticks and play around, mostly just a 2 beat weave. but I was just given a set of fire poi from this site. So now my interest has sky rocketed. within the last few days Iv managed to learn the 3 beat weave, one day (took a wile). next day I managed to learn it in reverse and that was even harder. and a few transitions and turns. Iv hit myself many many times but still fun.

#933168 - 22/07/11 07:41 AM Re: The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread [Re: TJ_NJ]
TJ_NJ Offline
stranger

O I forgot to add, I learned cork screw, and 2 beat windmill. which are both pretty much the same thing, on different plane

#933171 - 22/07/11 09:31 AM Re: The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread [Re: TJ_NJ]
TJ_NJ Offline
stranger

just learned basic butterfly first try, still gotta figure out reverse. cant seem to do it without the poi colliding

#933192 - 23/07/11 01:46 PM Re: The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread [Re: TJ_NJ]
aston Offline

Welcome!

You will find that the process is largely the same, so whatever got you doing the inward butterfly will (should) work for the outward one.

#933314 - 30/07/11 07:49 PM Re: The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread [Re: aston]
donnapage2003 Offline
Donna

Loc: United Kingdom
Yesterday I finally mastered my reverse 3beat weave!!

#933322 - 31/07/11 11:33 AM Re: The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread [Re: donnapage2003]
aston Offline

grin

:applause:

#933518 - 10/08/11 09:53 PM Re: The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread [Re: aston]
Ash3s Offline

*bounces in*

I've almost got a buzzsaw fountain down grin It's still wonky, but it's coming right grin

Also, learning chasers... if I can get my up-stalls (no idea what they're called) right then it will be just about perfect grin

Oh! And I have the trichetra down, just need the piece that goes on the outside. None of this makes much sense, does it... Hmmm...

#933526 - 11/08/11 09:47 AM Re: The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread [Re: Ash3s]
thirteen Offline
The Death Card

buzzsaw fountain is tricky indeed. good job! now do the antispin buzzsaw fountain tongue

chasers are definitely a mindf-ck at first... mostly since they require an entirely new method of movement (i.e. letting the poi trail behind your hand at a 90 degree angle). good luck!
In the sun

Page 114 of 117