SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
I just wanted to say that I hope everyone in London is ok.

It seems like Liverpool was fairly minor and I haven't seen that much about Birmingham or Bristol except that I don't think anyone I know there was caught up in it.

There's a google map of the troubles https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie=UTF8...01af6748773e8f7

There's lots of video and images floating around on the net in the usual places if you're not sure what's going on. I was going to post a link to the BBC but I don't think anyone outside the UK can see it.

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
ditto yup - hope you lot are all safe & away from all the dramas. maybe we need a roll call???

& thanks for that map seye - i don't know the geography of the uk, so that's really helpful! hug

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I put a roll call in chat because that had been getting more traffic. Seems I made the wrong call. whoops!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
For the record Manchester, contrary to various media reports, has seen no trouble at all. (Well, no more than normal anyway)

The stories about Leeds seem to be nonsense too. They've been about an unconnected event that didn't end in rioting.

I've heard from a couple of Bristol people. It seems that they're all fine.

This is what happens on a fairly average Saturday night in some parts of Liverpool. They're used to this kind of thing wink
(And as far as I know they're all ok)

I've not heard anything bad about any Londoners. I'm sure I would have done by now if something major had happened.

I cant think of anyone I know in Birmingham but it seems to have been confined to non-residential areas and a single estate.

If I hear anything I'll report back. smile

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I just heard from Steaks that the Manchester reports aren't accurate. So relieved.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Well Manchester and Salford have been destroyed tonight. Probably the best place, if you want to see whats happened, is
https://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningn...ter-and-salford
Or just search twitter for Manchester or Salford frown

Apparently Manchester centre is completely locked down by the police (and empty of people) but Salford is still running battles between rioters and police with buildings & cars burning.

A couple of us will be heading into the city in the morning to help with the clean up cry

I hear Nottingham is mid riot.

Birmingham has also seen a second night.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Seems to be quietening down now?

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Hopefully so. I guess we'll see soon though as it is nearly the weekend and it looks like it might stop raining at some point.

There's been some interesting articles in the papers:
https://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/petero...m/#.TkVCNCQESvk
, https://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/aug/11/london-riots-davidcameron?CMP=NECNETTXT8187
and on blogs: https://nathanieltapley.com/2011/08/10/an-open-letter-to-david-camerons-parents/

Seems like people have calmed down enough to think rationally about the real reasons that people feel that can take whatever they want without having to face the consequences. Of course the politicians keep insisting that this is nothing like the parliamentary expenses scandal, 'Sir Fred Goodwin' ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Goodwin
) or the estimated £40+Bn that we lose in tax revenue every year due to companies having their head offices registered in the Cayman Islands (let alone anywhere else).

Still, I doubt it will make any difference. Greed and theft are built into western society. People are often applauded for their greed (even knighted!) when it is clearly causing the collapse of companies, enormous loss of jobs and misery to society.

Until we stop society looking up to amoral people as role models this situation will never be resolved.

That is one of the reasons I enjoy being part of the circus / spinning community so much. On the whole it looks up to people who have dedicated time to their craft and especially to those who give back to the community in some way. If the rest of the world held these things to be as important as this community does it would be a much better place for everyone.

DaRulapoigeekBRONZE Member
stranger
9 posts

Posted:
Man I heard about the riots I never been to London but its on my I have to visitbefore I die list but right now would not be a good time I'm guessing I hop things get better.

it's T.W.O just so you know check my flow (UGH!) I am who I am but I was who I was and I'm cool with both of them people.steve harvey