Forums > Other Toys > Lamp oil causing skin irritation

Login/Join to Participate

brenonfire413SILVER Member
Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
Does anyone else get allergic reactions when skin is exposed to lamp oil? I've noticed that whenever I use lamp oil in my poi and do a lot of contact movements that the areas the poi hit become aggravated and itch in a manner similar to exposure to fiber glass. This doesn't occur with white fuel and with poi that have never contacted lamp oil. Once I noticed this I've sworn off cheap kero and haven't had the problem since.

"Are you sure it's safe to drink bleach?"
"Yes, bleach is 90% water, we are 90% water, therefore: we are bleach."
-Nathan Explosion, Metalocalypse

Night CrawlerBRONZE Member
46 posts

Posted:
Ok, bit of a late reply, but here goes.
The problem you have is either contact dermititus (sp) or just an irritation caused by the oil or something in it.
I myself am a mechanic and i always come into contact with oil, petrol, diesel, greace... Without protection, i often get rashes and lil blisters or cracked, dry skin.
To help protect my hands i use either latex or nytril (sp) gloves. Ok, not so good for your arms or the fire. So when working around hot engines i use a barrier cream. Just apply to your hands and arms. It will leave a film on your skin that acts as a... 'barrier'. When you are all done, wash up and use a light moisturiser.
All should be better then.

'You can only be free when you have nothing to loose'

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
When I would hit myself with kero I would get red after I got the soot off. I'm not 100% sure if it was because of the kerp and it was red under the soot in the first place, or if it was from scrubbing it off with a soapy toothbrush... I never use it in the winter cause it's a super pain in the ass to light in the cold.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

liquidtrancei dream in circles...
336 posts

Posted:
doesn't bother me in an average week but i get dry itchy skin much like dermatitis if I am spending a LOT of time spinning fire(eg a week of street performing every day for hours on end), not sure if it's exposure to the chemicals though or just the prolonged heat drying the skin out. I think probably a combination of the 2, regardless I asked the doc what to do he said use a barrier cream before and after to protect the skin during and replenish it's moisture afterwards, seems to work for me smile

even chuck norris can't pin you down if your on fire

46 posts

Posted:
Barrier cream is good for before and during, but you should wash it off when you are done and then use a moisturiser after. You shouldnt use a barrier cream for after because its like wearing latex gloves all the time. Your skin wont be able to breath. But, it does depend on the barrier cream thats used.

brenonfire413SILVER Member
Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
@night crawler thanks for the advice on that barrier cream, I'll look into that.

I'm fairly certain its the kerosene causing it as I attempted to isolate the possibilities. My newest set of fire poi have never touched kerosene and I can do as much contact as desired with no aggravation. Also considered that maybe kevlar is fibrous and itchy like say fiberglass insulation, but I practice with clean unused fire heads and never had that problem.

It may just be an allergic susceptibility on my part. I can't wear latex gloves for long periods without skin aggravation. So maybe this is more of an example of people more adversely affected by certain petroleum products.

"Are you sure it's safe to drink bleach?"
"Yes, bleach is 90% water, we are 90% water, therefore: we are bleach."
-Nathan Explosion, Metalocalypse

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Like I can't have tape on me for long periods of time, I get a rash where the tape was.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

46 posts

Posted:
No problem.
Im 99% sure its gonna be the kero. Although, changing fuels wont make any difference because they all come from pretty much the same place.
The latex gloves was just an example. Its what i use when working on cars to keep the oil and stuff off my hands. They should never be used with fire because they melt and burn.
I cant see the kevlar being a problem because its quite a soft fibre and its also used to make gloves and other fire protecting clothing.
Give the barrier cream a go and you should be fine.