Page:
MuckySILVER Member
Rum-Swilling Combustioneer
227 posts

Posted:
So I'm getting to the point that I know enough solid moves, some variations, and enough transitions to move between most of them that stringing them together differently seem to feel like different styles, even though all the basic elements don't change. Obviously a different mood of music, or atmospthere, will evoke different styles, but even without music it seems like just the basic order of the moves - or the order of tempo-changes - seems to create distinct styles.

Then again, I think a lot of it might be an overall change in body-motion, too, e.g. moving the feet more broadly or more narrowly, crooking the elbows up or down, and so forth.

So does anybody who's been doing it for a while has different "characters" that you use while spinning? Kind of like traditional jugglers might do a "jester" style or a "street" style, the real changes not being in the "style" of juggling, but the actions of the performer?

Bouncing Baby Pipe!

FlecolanGOLD Member
Chillisity!
42 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Harmony CurtissThe poi cease to be something apart from your body, they are your body. But its definite practice, every year is more graceful and fluid and every year the same move you've done hundreds of times changes because you are your poi. It gets to the point where dancing isn't conscious thought at all but you know what to do to show emotion.
For example you can show a more aggressive form by say stomping a foot or yanking the poi instead of being fluid.
However I must say that the most complements I receive, especially from other artists, is when I belly dance/poi, and honestly I don't think i could separate the two if I tried from any style that I do.
And last but not least: music matters, however there shouldn't be music that you can't dance to if you wanted too, some just isn't as fun as others. the best music has tempo changes and many layers so that you can choose which layer you want to follow. that way your audience is drawn into the dance as well. I love to follow the harmony's in music, instead of the same beat that plays for 5 minutes straight. Usually you are drawn to a certain sound, either the harmony or the base line or maybe some staccato rhythm in the music, and then you are the visual match to that sound.
Also being technically correct with poi (staying in your planes) is still the most important thing when you dance because it gives each movement contrast. Sloppy poi just can't draw in an audience like a cleaner version can, you need that contrast.
I know I'm blabbing but this is where my passion is, I love new moves and stuff but dancing is where the soul is.
I highly recommend an mp3 player to practice, I got one a year ago and it revolutionized practicing, although I most say I've gotten some odd looks from people in my apartment complex when I do but that's why it's so nice, you enter another world.

Thats exactly how i think about it too :O, i just couldnt put it to word as beautiful as you (A). I like to use music with one or several points of climax to it, you can really bring that to expression by also going into climax with your poi moves and dance stances.

eatsumskittlesstranger
6 posts

Posted:
I have a very traditional style with my poi. lots of circles and flowing transitions, a little bit of dance involved, but i never even had to focus on what character i want to show when i spin

my best advice is to let your own style come to you and build on it over time.

burning_ninjanewbie
39 posts

Posted:
I like to do drunken master when fire spitting , it goes together fairly well, especially since I end up spin dizy half the time just for laughs, contact spits are great for making you dizzy since your blinded by the light while spinning in circles, it makes for an easy way to stay in a fake druken stuper

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
Everyone has their own background that they apply to their styles. Of course someone who spent their entire life studying martial arts is going to show it in their style, the same with ballet and tribal dances and so on. I think the beauty is when everyone meets up and a hardcore martial artists starts doing ballet moves, the mixing makes it magic.

As for characters, it does have a time and a place. Some shows need a persona that may not be your own. In real life I can't pull of hardcore to save my life, but in a performance you are free to pretend.

Don't mind me, just passing through.

Raoul_HagenbeekGOLD Member
Pyromancer extraordinair
88 posts

Posted:
With me it is not so much as in character spinning as is it getting in tune with your props.

The moment I touch either of my toys a new way of spinning opens up. It gives a natural feel.

With the clubs I'm more a Jester then anything else, they give the best control and therefore allow me to bend, flip and drop. Seriously, you should try a "false fall" when swinging clubs. The audience will breath heavily and thinks things go wrong, but then you just lay on your back and keep swinging, the clubs like propellors that seem to lift you up. Also With clubs I dar to put in some cartwheels and stuff.

When I pick up the staff I become more of a martial artist, the staff flows, extends, twirls and retracts. I can even use it at to launch me in the air to do a kick. I must admit I took some moves from games like aforementioned soul calibur. It dazzles the audience. My friends even tell me, that when they ever get in a fight with me they'll be sure to not let me pick up a pole or a stick ;-)

With the poi I become a whirling dervish, spinning like there's no tomorrow. Fastpaces and a continous flowing motion. one trick into another.

Come to think of it, I think you could say, my styles have different elements, with the clubs I flow like water, with the staff I am in touch with the earth and are in perfect balance, the poi give me the wind aspect ans they spin faster and faster like small balls of fire waiting to be directed.

So it's not really in character, mostly when performing I drown out the crowd, just hearing the music and the fire. There is nothing more then music and fire.

Well sometimes I do a little interaction with the crowd. When someone makes a snarky comment, I just flow a little more in his/her direction, or blow a little ball of fire in their general direction (Yes I keep perfect track of distance, heigth and wind when doing something like that, don't worry)

What is life, without a little risk!

GalphiegnBRONZE Member
stranger
8 posts

Posted:
i personally have several charictors that i use when spinning but for me it is more a nesseasary because of where i have to practice is very open and public plus my performances and in person i am very shy so my charictors give me the courage to break through the stage fright.

brenonfire413SILVER Member
Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Galphiegn very open and public plus my performances and in person i am very shy so my charictors give me the courage to break through the stage fright.

That's really cool, do you find it helps? I'm kind of the same way as far as being shy but that's something I'd want to break through that barrier when I start performing publicly someday...

"Are you sure it's safe to drink bleach?"
"Yes, bleach is 90% water, we are 90% water, therefore: we are bleach."
-Nathan Explosion, Metalocalypse

GalphiegnBRONZE Member
stranger
8 posts

Posted:
it definately helps, because i immerse myself "in charictor" i am capable of acting in way that i personally would never be able to do. like team mascotts, out of costume i seriously doubt they go around acting like a total fool.

brenonfire413SILVER Member
Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
Very cool to hear. In real life I have tendencies to be pretty shy at times, especially in larger groups. I hate speaking in front of groups, have never played in a performing band or anything like that. I'm not a shut in, and don't run away from people, but have always wanted to overcome that hurdle of performance anxiety (no, not that kind! :P). So I thought poi would be a good step in that direction, after seeing some badass spinners at a party. And if you're going to do something like that, might as well go all out and make yourself as much of a character as possible! And it helps not being completely unattractive and having some nice tattoos and piercings to show off! tongue2

"Are you sure it's safe to drink bleach?"
"Yes, bleach is 90% water, we are 90% water, therefore: we are bleach."
-Nathan Explosion, Metalocalypse

Bam BamYour Average Every Day Sane Psycho
31 posts

Posted:
I've never really made characters, I just find myself falling into them as I spin, depending on the music. More melodious music gives me a more smooth and graceful, almost tribalistic character.
Then there's very technical and still bodied character I sometimes find myself in.
when I listen to something with a good strong kick and bass, I develop a very fast and stiff style that goes along with the beat.
and then of course there's my glowstringing style, where I get a very cool demeanor and feel like a ninja.

One thing I've noticed about the difference between glowstringing and poi styles (besides the obvious) is that poi is supposed to use your whole range of your body to make a dramatic spectacle, while with glowstringing, you want to show ease and cool control over the complex combos and such that you pull off

What, me worry?

JuggleSeanGOLD Member
Ooops
116 posts

Posted:
Hello Friend.

I am with you on characters being influenced by music. I am really interested in making costumes and incorporating other props to assist in expressing characters. I see a lot of performers wearing tribal, or ninja style clothing. This is awesome.

I have seen some cool costume variety in juggling performances also. I want to do fun things like perform as the spinning/juggling business man, cave man, doctor, hobo, robot, wizard, etc.

Now, lets get back into our characters and have some fun!

Groovy

Page: