ReddevilBRONZE Member
28 posts

Posted:
I have a single loop strap poi, but always get blisters on my finger is the strap suppose to slide around your finger, or is it suppose to stay still?is a double loop better, any special material, any special way of holding it.i hold it with the finger next to my thumbonly sometime it flies out of my hand.

mikeybmember
93 posts

Posted:
Reddevil,take a look at https://www.homeofpoi.com/teach2.htm
- the section titled #2: Holding in the Poi Lessons section.I use the three-fingers grip, which not only reduces the friction a bit but also seems to give a lot more control. Less sliding, far harder to drop the poiNote that I said "a bit". When I was starting I went through some pain, some truly satanic blisters and finally developed some calluses. Same thing happened to my fingertips playing guitar, years back.As I look at my index fingers now, they're a bit ragged between the first and second joints, so I guess the friction still happens, I just don't feel it as much through the calluses.In my experience, single or double loops seems to be a matter of personal choice. Some people prefer one, some prefer two - see what works best for you.But i definitely recommend the 3-finger grip if you're going for single-loop.mikeyB(anyone want to move this one to Technical?)

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
I recently converted from single loop nylon climbing rope handles to double loop self-tightening leather handles. (similar but not quite the same as adam's handles)get some leather, mine has a nice suede finish so its soft. cut 2 strips about an inch wide (or however wide you want the straps to be) and 8" long. in the center of the strap, cut a slit longwise about 1.5" long so you can fold the ends inward and down through it. now you have two loops and two ends under the slit. then grommit the 2 ends together (or just cut) and put a screwdown link through it (or a key ring link, but they are not very safe as we all know). you can attach the chain/poi string to the screw link, or attach a swivel clip to clip onto the chain. trim leather to taste.the loops will then tighten down on your fingers so you don't need to worry about them coming off, or moving around so you can spin with more of an open-handed style instead of always gripping the handle. you can also use it as a single loop if you want. I can scan a picture of mine if you'd like to see. Peregrine

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Hello Reddevil ! I am definitely a "double loop" fan. makes a Biiig difference (at least for me : more freedom, more grip.)Mickeyb, which are the 3 fingers involved in the three-finger grip ??? never seen any, but sounds nice. smileregardCassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
hold up 2 fingers (index and middle) palm facing you. Now drop the loop over both fingers with the (string, chain) hanging down in front of your palm. Now pull it back up between your 2 fingers, and close your hand. It should be coming out between your index and middle fingers, on the topside of your hand. It acts like a two fingered leather strap.But, the 2 fingered leather strap is alot more comfortable. I would suggest making one.Super'------------------"When a Man Lies He Murders Some Part of the World These Are the PaleDeaths Which Men Miscall Their Lives All this I Cannot Bear to Witness Any Longer Cannot the Kingdom of Salvation Take Me Home"

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
Hey Pere: I knew it was only a matter of time 'till y'all up north converted to kevlar wicks and leather finger nooses. ;-)-p.

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
pfah. i still have my ghetto poi ill have you know :P(and now I have spent how much money on kevlar and hardware and leather and what-not? now i actually have people to spin with its more cost effective to have kevlar than towel when you spin twice a week as opposed to once a month if that when you're by yourself)Pere[This message has been edited by Peregrine (edited 25 July 2001).]